Governor help

Mike Stearns

Does anyone have a explored view of a governor assembly that’s under the distributor on a rd450?  When I run the engine, it only goes up to 1500 rpms at full throttle. When I un hook the governor tubing it will go up to 3000 rpms without a problem. I have rebuilt the carb, but it was doing this before that. Thanks Mike 

I live in michigan, we need all the help we can get with our governor! Oh, you mean an engine governor, my bad. 

Sorry, I couldn't help it.

• Haha 6

2 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Does it just have a governed distributor, or a governed carb also? 

last 450 I drove, FE was that way so the monkeys couldnt tear it up,also limited it to < 50K in 50 yrs

IIRC the cross linkage/parts would get worn and compete with each other

photos may help also

try duplicate post in trucks then engines as that info stayed with IHC/navi and now went to VW

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mmi said:

IIRC the cross linkage/parts would get worn and compete with each other

That's what I was thinking as well.

12 hours ago, Mike Stearns said:

Does anyone have a explored view of a governor assembly that’s under the distributor on a rd450?  When I run the engine, it only goes up to 1500 rpms at full throttle. When I un hook the governor tubing it will go up to 3000 rpms without a problem. I have rebuilt the carb, but it was doing this before that. Thanks Mike 

Post a pic of dist and carb so we can see what you have. 

9 hours ago, dale560 said:

Post a pic of dist and carb so we can see what you have. 

Here are the pics. The 2 lines go to the carb. I’ve already pulled the manifolds to prep for cleaning and paint so I didn’t get a pic of the carb mike

FD243C30-D8F1-4A54-9CC8-27FC3E5F6435.jpeg

C36E9643-A7A1-4C28-983D-6360FF449967.jpeg

1157AF7A-6EE7-4252-821C-B791536413D0.jpeg

17 hours ago, Mike Stearns said:

Well I pulled it off today and started cleaning it up. This is what I found for numbers in it. I’m trying to find info, but nothing yet 

E0247DB0-553C-46BB-83A3-7E3A8BB8C2B2.jpeg

The "customer number" on that looks like maybe an IH part number format to me. When you search it, try to search it without spaces or dashes. I usually have better luck with that.

That’s why I asked for photos. I thought you had a Holley governed carb. In the area I circled is a spring and vacuum diaphragm. The butterfly bushings wear and cause vacuum to overcome spring pull. Your best bet is to eliminate gov. By snipping vac rod. Then making sure spring is tight enough to move butterflies as throttle opens.lots of Holley carb fixing in my younger days

4C974A6A-52E6-465D-BD3C-B0636841DA64.jpeg

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, dale560 said:

That’s why I asked for photos. I thought you had a Holley governed carb. In the area I circled is a spring and vacuum diaphragm. The butterfly bushings wear and cause vacuum to overcome spring pull. Your best bet is to eliminate gov. By snipping vac rod. Then making sure spring is tight enough to move butterflies as throttle opens.lots of Holley carb fixing in my younger days

4C974A6A-52E6-465D-BD3C-B0636841DA64.jpeg

I agree. 

See dale, we can agree!

Dale, I’m going to disagree with you. There are reasons why the governor is on this engine. I may not like it, but I will get it fixed and working properly. I’m not going to disconnect it. All I’m after is information on how this is supposed to work so I can fix it properly. There’s something wrong with the system and I think it is in the part that’s under the distributor. Mike

53 minutes ago, Mike Stearns said:

Dale, I’m going to disagree with you. There are reasons why the governor is on this engine. I may not like it, but I will get it fixed and working properly. I’m not going to disconnect it. All I’m after is information on how this is supposed to work so I can fix it properly. There’s something wrong with the system and I think it is in the part that’s under the distributor. Mike

That's the spirit.

Fix it right and make it work again.

I'm afraid I cannot help.

The amazing thing of these engines is how they can burn so much gas through such a small fuel line.

2 hours ago, Mike Stearns said:

The distributor let’s vacuum to carb to pull back on throttle plates if overspeed occurs. You could have an issue with dist but more than likely it’s carb that is giving problem. If you put dist back in engine run engine with carb gov tube unhooked to see if vacuum is on carb gov diaphragm at what rpm. Usually what happens though with what you describe is the carb pivot bushing  wears. Letting plates stick in throttle bore. The spring that is supposed to hold plates against throttle control gets weak from sticking butterflies. When the throttle plates do open then it is like a delayed throttle. This is what starts your problem then when spring is weak and stuff gets sloppy the engine vacuum from underneath blades  can overcome spring and hold throttle butterflies.  You can have distrustor problems but checking when vacuum is applied at what rpm will tell you what piece is giving troubles. Good luck you can fix it also or as most people wanted done gov disconnected.

5 hours ago, Mike Stearns said:

There are reasons why the governor is on this engine.

To prevent ignorant operators from damaging it.  Really.  That is why.  It was easy to overspeed a truck engine with a 5.XX:1 rear end ratio. 

5 hours ago, Mike Stearns said:

There’s something wrong with the system and I think it is in the part that’s under the distributor

Based off of??? That it's the part you haven't taken apart? Or did you run tests?  

Dale has the info above.

Good luck fixing it.  It's no fun and if it is as wore as some I've seen, it won't be cheap to get all the parts made.  They don't build parts for those anymore.

There was a place in Alabama that specialized in Holley vacuum governed carbs.  Search around.  Might still be in business. 

6 hours ago, J-Mech said:

To prevent ignorant operators from damaging it.  Really.  That is why.  It was easy to overspeed a truck engine with a 5.XX:1 rear end ratio. 

Based off of??? That it's the part you haven't taken apart? Or did you run tests?  

Dale has the info above.

Good luck fixing it.  It's no fun and if it is as wore as some I've seen, it won't be cheap to get all the parts made.  They don't build parts for those anymore.

There was a place in Alabama that specialized in Holley vacuum governed carbs.  Search around.  Might still be in business. 

The rear end ratio is 6.90 

I did find the info late last night that I was looking for. It explains how the system is supposed to work. Since I have already rebuilt the carb and it runs a lot better. If I disconnected the lines, I can get 3000 rpms or more. I took the rotor back out and disassembled it again. I found what is called the governor valve assembly frozen in the idle position.  I used some pb blaster and let it sit for awhile. After a little pressure it freed up and was able to take it apart. I little more cleaning, it moved freely. I have reassembled it, but it will be some time before I can verify that it fixed. I need to finish regaskering the engine, painted and reinstalled in the frame. Time will tell. Mike

• Thanks 1