Spark plugs

As far as who wins a bid to supply parts to a manufacturer, isn’t always price based is correct.  They first have to be a qualifying bid. This means the correct part that the engineers specs, as well as quantity and delivery time. Then lastly comes price. So low price doesn’t always mean you win a bid. 

• Like 2

My dad was a master mechanic. He knew how to read plugs and make adjustments if needed. As hardtail said, manufacturers use certain brands plugs. Dad and now me will put oem plugs in. We had to replace bad plugs before. Dad always said that the engineers knew more about it than he did when it comes to designing. He just knew how to fix them

• Like 2

Now for a bit of trivia.

Albert Champion started his own company making a better spark plug.

He then worked with GM making spark plugs, etc with the company later being named AC, AC Delco, etc.

So when you buy an AC or Champion plug, they were both from the same guy.

Albert was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in 1977.

https://www.automotivehalloffame.org/honoree/albert-c-champion/

• Like 1

In theory the cross reference charts should work from quality manufacturers but as many have offered testimonials here that didn’t always seem to work well for long, old school see a heavy hitting mopar with the hood open Champions installed etc, J mech I believe was the only one to mention indexing the plug which was one more trick trying to extract power

Those carbureted engine days were much different than today’s ecm with efi especially points ignitions and pre HEI and reading plugs and changing heat ranges was normal 

I really can’t understand OEM selecting a product that creates warranty issues regardless of build price unless they are not reimbursing warranty work, then you have the smart businessman changing the one problem before it leaves the shop and corrects the problem on his dime

NGK is good stuff, anything that can keep an oily 2 stroke firing 200 times a second without hiccup for extended lengths alright in my book

I didn’t read this until today but thought I would take a look at how a thread titled Spark Plugs could be three pages long . 
Now I’m laughing at it. 

Worse then an oil thread . 
Why does anyone give a dam what your favorite brand is ? 

In the whole scope of life does it really merit the bickering back and forth about a brand of spark plug? 

OMG, grown men debating who can pee farther .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

I didn’t read this until today but thought I would take a look at how a thread titled Spark Plugs could be three pages long . 
Now I’m laughing at it. 

In the whole scope of life does it really merit the bickering back and forth about a brand of spark plug? 

Hey when your bored anything can take on a life of its own. Lol. Wanna make it more interesting we can blame it on covid cabin fever or covid shot derangement sydrome.or something. ????

• Like 5

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

2 hours ago, DT Fan said:

An interesting idea, especially as we age!

Farther, or more often in the middle of the night? I might win one of those titles! ?

• Haha 2

No complaints here on champion plugs I've used them for years and never had any  issues . I've put them in everything from lawn mowers  to combines They are more generic and plentiful  I think also 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Now I’m laughing at it. 

That is why I wear rubber boots?

• Haha 2