Spark plugs

Mike Stearns

Champion plugs are garbage in my book. Agree with mmi above, Autolite or NGK. 

• Like 1

I'd really like to know why all the hate for Champion plugs.  I've heard this song and dance for years and years.  I've put them in a lot of stuff with no issues.  OEM was Champion in a lot of things.  I think a lot of it is just hearsay.  One guys says on some forum that Champion is junk and some newb reads it and repeats it.  Now someone is going to come along and say how they bought champion plugs and they did nothing but fowl and how NGK or Autolite ran better.... whatever.

@Mike Stearns, what's wrong with the plugs that are in it?  

13 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I'd really like to know why all the hate for Champion plugs.  I've heard this song and dance for years and years.  I've put them in a lot of stuff with no issues.  OEM was Champion in a lot of things.  I think a lot of it is just hearsay.  One guys says on some forum that Champion is junk and some newb reads it and repeats it.  Now someone is going to come along and say how they bought champion plugs and they did nothing but fowl and how NGK or Autolite ran better.... whatever.

i have had poor experience with champion, 100% of the issues for me were as a kid on my Kawasaki 100 dirtbike NGKB7HS and 386 Autolite - Champion D21 John Deere B. Now that being said All I did was go to our local autoparts store and trust them to give me a comparable model by telling them the name/number of my current plug. 

For the Deere it would foul or fail the champ plug in short order ( 5 mins or anything past an idle or a backfire/snort would kill it instantly) so after a few of those I just quit the champs - stuck with A/C or Autolite - these are the big 7/8 - 13/16 plugs in the Deere. 

Now for the kawasaki 2 stroker, it would fail in the same way, carbon balls or melted metal looking balls would form on the plug and short between the electrode and the arm and weld themselves in there - no i am not technical enough to know what the official name of the arm that you adjust for gap is called but you get the point

The NGK would run for a long time appx 6 mos before doing the same thing and welding the post/arm together. Champs would do it right out the gate once up to temp on a hard run. 

All that being said my guess is the SPECs around the cross of brands must be different in some way - I know plugs are rated hotter or colder, i have no clue what that means such as a hotter plug works in hotter temps or a colder plug works in colder temps? Maybe the hotter plug works better at hotter engine temps or vice versa, im sure some of you lightening engineers will be able to set me straight in short order. 

My guess is I didnt have the right plug for the application and the CROSS from the other brands wasnt close enough to allow a similar experience. Not necessarily the plugs fault but lack of knowledge on mine and trusting the auto parts guy? 

For lawnmower applications I havent noticed a difference. Champs have been fine, never was brave enough to put them in any of my vehicles, always went with AC in my gm products and autolite in the fords.

• Like 1

We noticed right away from customer feedback when we switched from selling champion to Autolite. Especially on the IH six cylinder's. The autolites didn't fuel foul. Which in a cold IH engine was a problem. My personal opinion is the porcelain on the champions around the electrode was to porous and would absorb the raw fuel. Once they fouled they were shot. My grandpa farmed with two cylinders and he always said the champions would foul to quick and he would only run AC plugs.

• Like 3

I’ve never seen problems specific to Champion plugs.  My guess is when people had problems with them and changed to a different brand they also unwittingly changed to a slightly hotter plug and that was what cured their problems.  I had a big Case gasser under my care that seemed to hate Autolite plugs.  Turned out the problem wasn’t the Autolite plugs, it was the heat range.  Changed up a heat range within the Autolite line and never changed a plug again.  I have had two different Honda 200 cycle engines and neither would run more that a few hours before fouling a plug--if the plug wasn’t a Champion.  Champions would run for several years.  Problem there was a lack of plug heat choices.

For what its worth, gasoline fouled plugs are junk.  No hope of cleaning them for reuse.  Oil fouled plugs are completely different.  Clean them out and reuse them.  Repeatedly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I’ve never seen problems specific to Champion plugs.  My guess is when people had problems with them and changed to a different brand they also unwittingly changed to a slightly hotter plug and that was what cured their problems.  I had a big Case gasser under my care that seemed to hate Autolite plugs.  Turned out the problem wasn’t the Autolite plugs, it was the heat range.  Changed up a heat range within the Autolite line and never changed a plug again.  I have had two different Honda 200 cycle engines and neither would run more that a few hours before fouling a plug--if the plug wasn’t a Champion.  Champions would run for several years.  Problem there was a lack of plug heat choices.

For what its worth, gasoline fouled plugs are junk.  No hope of cleaning them for reuse.  Oil fouled plugs are completely different.  Clean them out and reuse them.  Repeatedly.

I agree that this is the issue... wrong plug heat range, but you'd think that would be easy for people to figure out.  But no.... just a lot of hate for a brand when they don't work, and it isn't the brand's fault. 

3 hours ago, Gearclash said:

I agree with that statement. We have a gas 460 and the H. Plugs in the 460 have been in it since the head was replaced in 2013. Had to do points on it last year and checked the plugs on it before i went to town and picked stuff up. They were fine.

H is actually running on a NOS Champions that i found in a forgotten part of the old tool shed. Still in the box and everything. When I got it going after the head was replaced i put 4 of them in. Still have 4 left. Original box, IH embem on the plug box.

• Like 1

My experience with the Champion plugs was with an M and a Super M.  I picked up 8 new Champions from case ih and tuned them up.  The Super M would not run right.  Finally went and picked up 8 autolite plugs.  Put 4 in the Super and it immediately ran great.  Next day, a buddy and I went on a tractor ride.   The M was sputtering and missing.  During a ride break, I swapped out the new Champions for the Autolite plugs.  The tractor smoothed out and ran perfectly.   My friend was speechless.  He would not have believed it,  had he not seen me change them.   Nothing but Autolite for me now.

• Like 2

champions have been junk for 30+ yrs,in simplest form they never cared to make material upgrades just offshore and rake it in.

heat range BS !!! doenst hold ,  it worked as a patch for a few years <  pre Gambian tier 1

todays subs/cross is just a guesstimate from the bean counters to match 1-2 of the specs required.

you will need to adjust/ vary the subs per local conditions and use,champion will only oblige < 1%

the know it ALLs need to get off the stump go to the specific machine/owners area and prove it for 2 full seasons.

it is only getting worse, once the china gas flows at $5 + gal

why do you suppose stihl sells $16 gas  and ngk or bosch plugs

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mmi said:

champions have been junk for 30+ yrs,in simplest form they never cared to make material upgrades just offshore and rake it in.

heat range BS !!! doenst hold ,  it worked as a patch for a few years <  pre Gambian tier 1

todays subs/cross is just a guesstimate from the bean counters to match 1-2 of the specs required.

you will need to adjust/ vary the subs per local conditions and use,champion will only oblige < 1%

the know it ALLs need to get off the stump go to the specific machine/owners area and prove it for 2 full seasons.

it is only getting worse, once the china gas flows at $5 + gal

why do you suppose stihl sells $16 gas  and ngk or bosch plugs

You sound like an unhappy angry man....

• Haha 1

I’ve seen NGK plugs fail miserably in a certain application where Champion would run for quite a while.  The root of the problem was a rich mixture that was hard to correct on that particular carb.

6 hours ago, J-Mech said:

It is very simple if you are my age, [I can't help but wonder your age]  Champion made plugs from time to time that didn't fire.  When I was young and raced motorcycles, and knew everything, A-C was the best. Everything changes.

• Like 1

Can't really say I've ever had a problem related to any specific plug brand. 

400 will foul at idle if I let it idle too long. Open up the throttle and it will sputter and miss for a bit then clean out. 

The age of the plugs and unknown when they were replaced last is why I would like to change them. The current number ,UJ8, is no longer made and I haven’t found any specs on it yet. There are lots of cross reference plugs, but I need to know what the plugs are now spec wise to get the correct new ones. The engine is a rd450 from  the 50s. Mike

57 minutes ago, Moodnacreek said:

It is very simple if you are my age, [I can't help but wonder your age]  Champion made plugs from time to time that didn't fire.  When I was young and raced motorcycles, and knew everything, A-C was the best. Everything changes.

I'm not old, I'm far from young.  My kids are in their teens, I could have at least one in their 20's, had I had kids at a younger age. Experience is more important than age, but age aids wisdom. 

I put a lot of Champion D15Y's into IH tractors and never had a problem.

Champions are factory to IH.

The only plug problem I ever seen myself was with Bosch plugs.

-30 below and a 4 cylinder Honda would not start.

I had heard there were issues with Bosch so got a set of NGK's.

It fired right up.

The jist was that Bosch tries to use the same plug for multiple applications so the heat range, etc. is wrong.

Then they sell them cheap at the Walmart.

The owner of the Honda took the plugs and was going to have some fun with Bosch.

I never heard how it turned out.

2 hours ago, Mike Stearns said:

The age of the plugs and unknown when they were replaced last is why I would like to change them. The current number ,UJ8, is no longer made and I haven’t found any specs on it yet. There are lots of cross reference plugs, but I need to know what the plugs are now spec wise to get the correct new ones. The engine is a rd450 from  the 50s. Mike

Autolite is showing a 303 plug for the RD450

51 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

Autolite is showing a 303 plug for the RD450

I did a cross reference search for the uj8 and it came up with a autolite 295

Autolite

• Like 1