Sentry

Jacka

This topic is in addition to the one below about 5088.I just thought I might get more detailed answers if I started a new  thread.I know nothing about them more or less other then the looks of the tractor and I like it.I owned a 7150 for a month just long enough to sell it and had a 3088 for a year and liked it but no cab.

I hear of the Sentry quite often here,and also the topic of a "test harness" installed and running them that way.

Dumb question for those that know but not for ones that don't,what is the  Sentry,what does it do,if it doesnt work how will I tell ,is it a computer module,control for entire tractor, trans.monitor,does it have to do with shifting the tractor and trans/clutch operation and prevent it from damage. Is it costly to be fixed and are there fixes available. 

Please excuse my ignorance. 

The Sentry is a small controller that controls the transmission shifts and also protects the transmission from unwanted shifts by monitoring hi/lo clutch pack pressures.  When it doesn’t work there’s a warning light that might illuminate, or the tractor just might shift/act differently than normal.  The most common problem is a loss of either odd or even gears.  When the sentry detects an issue in either fluid circuit it will disable the shifts in that circuit.

As far as fixes go, CaseIH has controllers available (over $3,000), some controllers can be fixed by Mike Links (www.triplertractors), you can try to find a used controller, or you can roll the dice and install a test harness. With the test harness installed you have no transmission protection, meaning if there’s a problem internally it’ll still shift away until the parts weld themselves together. Personally I’d steer clear of a test  harness.

Mike Links is the most knowledgeable person when it comes to the sentry system.  Very helpful and he always answers the phone or returns a phone call. 
  Hope that helps with your questions!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mike56073 said:

The Sentry is a small controller that controls the transmission shifts and also protects the transmission from unwanted shifts by monitoring hi/lo clutch pack pressures.  When it doesn’t work there’s a warning light that might illuminate, or the tractor just might shift/act differently than normal.  The most common problem is a loss of either odd or even gears.  When the sentry detects an issue in either fluid circuit it will disable the shifts in that circuit.

As far as fixes go, CaseIH has controllers available (over $3,000), some controllers can be fixed by Mike Links (www.triplertractors), you can try to find a used controller, or you can roll the dice and install a test harness. With the test harness installed you have no transmission protection, meaning if there’s a problem internally it’ll still shift away until the parts weld themselves together. Personally I’d steer clear of a test  harness.

Mike Links is the most knowledgeable person when it comes to the sentry system.  Very helpful and he always answers the phone or returns a phone call. 
  Hope that helps with your questions!!

its been discussed over n over, some will tell you dont ever do it with a test harness, some will say been running 10K hours and no issues, some say it wont hurt anything some day it will not allow the timing of the clutches to release before engaging the next set and thus causing premature wear from two running at the same time

good luck finding a used one for even a modest price guys that have them are very proud of them and if yours has been converted over to a test harness, from my understanding its not just unplug and plug the sentry right it, mine is running the test harness and it has some extra wiring for power etc....that i am not smart enough to know about 

its a personal choice and if there is a test harness in the one you are getting no way or really know if things have been prematurely been compromised or not - short answer, flip a coin, 50/50 shot either way

31 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Thanks so much guys and yes you answered my questions. One last one where would this test harness be installed and how will I identify it?Is it in the cab in plain sight?

Both the test harness and/or the sentry are located in the pedestal down between the clutch/brake pedals. There’s a cover down there that pops off and exposes the fuse block.  The sentry will be a square box bolted to the left side, while the test harness will be a couple of relays with a bunch of wires all loose in there.

5 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

Both the test harness and/or the sentry are located in the pedestal down between the clutch/brake pedals. There’s a cover down there that pops off and exposes the fuse block.  The sentry will be a square box bolted to the left side, while the test harness will be a couple of relays with a bunch of wires all loose in there.

Thank you 

I have always wondered if I had problems with the sentry could I replace it with a test harness and then take my time shifting and use the clutch even between power shifts would that help or is that still asking for trouble?

9 hours ago, Mike56073 said:

yes lots of loose wires and relays laying all over, i keep the door shut as it freaks me out when i look in there 

1 hour ago, KY2674 said:

I have always wondered if I had problems with the sentry could I replace it with a test harness and then take my time shifting and use the clutch even between power shifts would that help or is that still asking for trouble?

It wont help.  That sentry is watching a pair of pressure switches all of the time for a loss of fluid pressure in the clutch pack when its engaged.  Its also cross checking to make sure that the disengaged clutch pack doesn't have fluid pressure in it.  If either of these 2 things happen the sentry will disable some or all functions to protect the internals.  It's not a foolproof/troublefree system, but to me its better than the alternative.

The test harness is just a couple of relays that energize the shift solenoids when you move the speed lever, regardless of what the transmission pressures are. You could  have zero oil in the tranny, and the test harness relays will stick click away. 

31 minutes ago, 65806 said:

Only thing I would add. 
every time I’ve had a bad sentry the tractor won’t move in any gear. Just sits there with a big red light on the dash. 

yep, i've had that happen too!  That's where I'd plug a test harness in to at least get me home

There was a thread on here, maybe someone who can navigate things better can find it, where a member disected a faulty sentry and built a replacement out of common electrical components. The last time I saw the thread he said he was working the tractor with his "sentry" and all seemed to be working well. I remember reading in the thread that he won't build one for somebody else but he would consider giving a list of the parts required and how to assemble it, at your own risk. It's an interesting thread anyway.

A few years ago when these tractors weren't very valuable, spending $3000 for a sentry was probably close to a quarter of third of the value of the tractor. Now it seems like these tractors are holding their value of not appreciating in value, it may be a little easier to invest the money in the tractor knowing that the tractor will hold its value.

15 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

There was a thread on here, maybe someone who can navigate things better can find it, where a member disected a faulty sentry and built a replacement out of common electrical components. The last time I saw the thread he said he was working the tractor with his "sentry" and all seemed to be working well. I remember reading in the thread that he won't build one for somebody else but he would consider giving a list of the parts required and how to assemble it, at your own risk. It's an interesting thread anyway.

A few years ago when these tractors weren't very valuable, spending $3000 for a sentry was probably close to a quarter of third of the value of the tractor. Now it seems like these tractors are holding their value of not appreciating in value, it may be a little easier to invest the money in the tractor knowing that the tractor will hold its value.

ZG6E

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, ihrondiesel said:

@ZG6E 

@ZG6E