66 Series Black Stripe ?

Our 66 series tractors are all white sided(non black stripe, whatever the term is). I saw a 966 for sale that was a black stripe, and was wondering a couple of things.

I see the 66 series seem to have been built from 1971 to 1976. Was the black stripe change on the 66 series just a decorative change, or was this a new rebuild for that series tractor?

I have not been around the 86 series tractors, so I may be completely off with this comment. To me, the 66 series are more a mechanical build while the 86 series is starting more toward the electronic build like the newer tractors are. If so, did the 66 series black stripe, change toward the electronic build or again was this just a decorative modification?

Just to try to clarify my thinking of mechanical and electronic build, if something is wrong on a 66 series, its a nut, bolt, "o" ring, etc. From what I read on the 86, it seems to be more toward, switch, fuse, solenoid, etc.

My nephew talked about wanting a black stripe, and I assumed that you had to go to an 86 series to get one, but I don't think he is in need of, or interested in getting away from the more basic mechanical built tractor, just for a decal. Just curious.

Thank you for your comments.

There's not a lot of electronics difference in an 86 over a 66 series. Later 86's had electric diff locks and digital dashes. All had electric gauges vs mechanical on a 66. Everything else is pretty similar except for cab and controls like shifting and brakes. Wet brakes over dry and a little bigger MCV pumps and later 86's had flow control hydraulics. 

A black stripe 66 is just a white panels 66 made the last year of production. Rear axle and clutch housings were being changed at that time for 86 series tractors. 

There were a number of changes to the machine at the time of the black stripe machines.  Most were due to the ucoming changeover to the 86 series.  Parts manufactured for the 86 were incorporated onto the 66 series as old supply were used up.  The BS machines are still a mechanical based machine with only small differences from the white stripe units.  The black stripe theme gave a cosmetic change to an aging design due for replacement. 

And for the record, Black Stripe production started in 1975, NOT 1976. With the serial number on the bellhousing. 

At first it was cosmetic, then they slowly started incorporating some newer updated castings as they were getting ready for 86 series production. 

Things changed:

Axle housings

3PT arms

TA housing

Serial plate moved to by the hyd filter

Rear wheel castings

I'm sure there's a couple I missed but thats the main things. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Things changed:

Axle housings

3PT arms

TA housing

what changed on the TA housing?

external mounting locations or internal improvements?

34 minutes ago, MarkG said:

86 series cab mounting bosses were incorporated to the external casting. I don't think there was internal changes.   

There was changes that used a different gasket to the rear housing but I don't think that had anything to do with white/black stripe

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

And for the record, Black Stripe production started in 1975, NOT 1976. With the serial number on the bellhousing. 

At first it was cosmetic, then they slowly started incorporating some newer updated castings as they were getting ready for 86 series production. 

Things changed:

Axle housings

3PT arms

TA housing

Serial plate moved to by the hyd filter

Rear wheel castings

I'm sure there's a couple I missed but thats the main things. 

This I didn't know. Have the brochure for both 75 and 76 and the 76 one says the brand new IH tractors for 76 showing black stripes.  Do you know what serial number started the black stripes then?

47 minutes ago, MarkG said:

External mounting holes for 86 series front cab mounts.

Screenshot_20210316-200500.jpg

16927.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The black stripe argument gets going a lot on social media... 

Plain and simple, there is simply no cosmetic or physical change that proves whether a tractor is a "true" black stripe or not.

There are definite serial number breaks that are listed in the parts manuals that can tell you whether a tractor is a true black stripe or not.

After 40+ years, there has been a lot (A LOT) of things changed on any tractor...so you really can't tell if a tractor is an actual "true" black stripe just by those changes.

Travis

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

There were several other little differences between the white and black stripes, but none changed the performance. One of the finest IH's ever built, the 1466.:DKIMG1009.jpg.4ff01769121560ceda0d00fbe0a8290c.jpg

Say Matt, I believe that 1466 is supposed to have a black tombstone seat, I’ve been looking for a white in for the 1256. That 14 would look much better with that black one! And I just happen to have a black one!

21 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Black Stripe starting serial numbers.

766: 16541 --->
966: 31263 --->
1066: 55425 --->
1466: 28897 --->
1566: 11929 --->
1568: 7945 (?) ---> 
H100: 12235 --->

Interesting,,,Thanks. 

23 hours ago, Cummings1486 said:

Say Matt, I believe that 1466 is supposed to have a black tombstone seat, I’ve been looking for a white in for the 1256. That 14 would look much better with that black one! And I just happen to have a black one!

Old picture, it has a black one on it now. The white one is still here, but it isn't perfect by any means. You aren't the first to ask about my white seat. That 14 had a cab when I bought years ago with a cloth seat. The white one was all I had at the time. I have since procured a nearly perfect original black one for it.

Ohh gotcha. Makes sense. Can’t beat finding an original especially in near perfect shape. The black one I found is ok shape. The backrest is almost perfect but the seat cushion needs some help. If you’d ever want to sell the white one let me know!!

• Like 1

On 3/16/2021 at 9:29 PM, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

There were several other little differences between the white and black stripes, but none changed the performance. One of the finest IH's ever built, the 1466.:DKIMG1009.jpg.4ff01769121560ceda0d00fbe0a8290c.jpg

People in my area sure seem to like them as much as you do. Common looking, but straight ones, 9-10k here. Last weekend at a consignment sale common looking 1973 model brought 9600. Was a cab tractor but converted to fenders. No coolant filter. Showed 6700 hrs. No idea on the status of the TA

On 3/16/2021 at 11:25 PM, IH FARMS said:

Think I made a deal on this one. The engine is bad,,,antifreeze in the oil. 

Might get lucky and find it only has leaking liner O ring.  Had that happen on our 7. 

31 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

Might get lucky and find it only has leaking liner O ring.  Had that happen on our 7. 

I think your right,,that's probably all that's wrong but the farmer took off the oil cooler 5 years ago . Parked it outside with nothing covering the exhaust.  Bird nest under the hood and mice probably living in the main oil gallery of the engine.  I bought it cheap knowing I have to do a major engine overhaul. It's mine now.

Good luck with your project!  We always liked our 766.  Excellent yard and chore tractor.  Only thing that kinda soured us was the time it scored a cylinder for no reason at all.

• Thanks 1