Is this a real shell?

7288cdn

All I know about this is that my Grandfather was a WW1 veteran and told my mother it was a souvenir.  O.D, of copper rings is 1.92 inches, O.D. of body is 1.82 inches.  Height is 5&7/8 inches.  It has been made into a coin bank with the slot.  The base screws off, I am not sure if that was original or part of the conversion.  

IMG_2441.jpeg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 7288cdn said:

All I know about this is that my Grandfather was a WW1 veteran and told my mother it was a souvenir.  O.D, of copper rings is 1.92 inches, O.D. of body is 1.82 inches.  Height is 5&7/8 inches.  It has been made into a coin bank with the slot.  The base screws off, I am not sure if that was original or part of the conversion.  

IMG_2441.jpeg

Real projectile, most likely yes. The cap looks to be made from the bottom of a different casing. That’s my guess based on artillery pieces I’ve seen. 

14 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Real projectile, most likely yes. The cap looks to be made from the bottom of a different casing. That’s my guess based on artillery pieces I’ve seen. 

Sorta hard to tell exactly what you have.  That appears to be the shell (bullet) from some size artillery shell.  The powder is loaded into a separate brass cannister and then the shell is assembled into the cannister for firing.   The shell (as pictured) would have been loaded with explosives.

The cap plate with the firing pin would have been part of the cannister.

Not an expert by any means------but spent alot of time on a 105 howitzer while n the USMC Reserves (1962--1968).

Seems like the loaded and ready to fire 105 shell/cannister weighed 43---46 lbs???

DD

3 minutes ago, 7288cdn said:

The part that I wonder about is the copper rings.  What was their purpose?  

Seal to the bore and promote rotation starting quicker upon firing. 

• Like 1

i have some M62/76mm round boxes from korean war from my Great Uncle and his Duty Trunks that went around the country with him. Im kind of a nostalgic person - its where i came from and who I am. 

They were left in his house by their grandson who was intending on burning it all - I asked for them and am so glad I did, I think about my uncle/aunt daily - the trunks sit by my roost where i work from most days and hold my lamp, phone charger, water bottle, coffee cup. 

• Like 1

grand pa brought a shell home from WW1, made it into a bank

its missing the top driving band ,,,kinda neat ill see about pictures later

Mike

Just now seeing the 1.82" o.d. on shell.  Much smaller than I was thinking.

Definitely a keepsake------some of you young bucks should be able to track down caliber info based on the dimensions???

I have a spent 105 howitzer cannister as a keepsake from the 1960's.

Keep us posted if anyone finds out exactly what this one is.

DD

On 3/16/2021 at 10:34 AM, 7288cdn said:

The part that I wonder about is the copper rings.  What was their purpose?  

The copper rings are for the rifeling to grab hold of.