been working on this one for the last week trying to get it ready for my tiller in the gardens. ignition was totally messed up when I got it. Gave up on the dist. and put the one that goes on my 504 motor on it and now it runs fine. Have a bunch of hyd. leaks on it---some not bad but 1 that looks major to me ----the hole under the clutch housing which is probably the front transmission seal. both outer axle seals leak and the main hyd. hose from the pump to the control block leaks----THAT one is going to be a real problem to fix.---anyway here is the tractor.

20210305_153209.jpg

20210305_153232.jpg

20210305_153308.jpg

20210305_153246.jpg

• Like 4

We had both a 340 utility and a Farmall 340 on our farm.  First tractor I drove.

You're going to have to scoot those tires in for a tiller. 

2 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I have one of each as well.   Neat little machines.   The farmall is on 36" rubber.

20151024_161908.jpg

20151031_163137.jpg

What's the story on the 2pt arm bolted to the front bolster on the Farmall? 

16 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

What's the story on the 2pt arm bolted to the front bolster on the Farmall? 

I think they bolted them there (one on the other side too) before the auction to make sure they went with the tractor. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Fred B said:

Mabey the fast hitch points are used for a   3 pt. hitch? advertised w/3pt.?

Those aren't 2/3 adapters.

Take a look at the right side views of both 340 Utilities. You've got an example of each type of hydraulic system there. One has the engine driven pump, and the other has the transmission driven. Pretty neat to see them virtually side by side.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Take a look at the right side views of both 340 Utilities. You've got an example of each type of hydraulic system there. One has the engine driven pump, and the other has the transmission driven. Pretty neat to see them virtually side by side.

Good eye.  I didn't even notice that.  I also didn't know that the later ones had a transmission driven pump.  I learned something new. 

The 340 is really a pretty fascinating tractor. It has to be one of the most widely modified version of any tractor built by IH.  Available in 3 different platforms, (row crop, utility and crawler) with 2 different engine choices in each and the utility version was modified into things such as forklifts, grove tractors and trenchers.  Row crop was even offered in Hi-Clear.  The 340 could have a T/A or "fast reverse" (direction reverser).  Fascinating model. 

18 minutes ago, Moodnacreek said:

When my 504 is over full of hyd. oil to make the hyd. action better, it leaks everywhere.  If your rear hubs are the same as mine, they may only need the outer O rings or outer seals, not a big deal.

Look at the pictures.  No oil leaking at the outer hub from the center.  But from the rear picture you can see the oily end of the axle.  It is the axle seals as he stated. But, you had a good idea.  Just doesn't appear to be the case here. 

I plan on borrowing the 24" rears off my 404 to use on the 340 and they will set inside the 72" tiller----at least they did on the 404!

My 340 has the optional 17 gallon transmission mounted hyd. pump and lpto.,---no ta in mine, also my 504 dont have a ta---just the lever. 

I think I figured out how to adapt the fast hitch to 3-pt with out much trouble.--- wont be true 3-pt. but will serve my needs for the tiller.

340 has the 135 engine ---same as 404, only hyd pump mount hole has a plate over it.  hyd pump on my 404 is on the engine

my 504 engine is the 153 and the engine I have for my 574 is the 200

both 574 and 504 has lpto and 3 pt. on them. my 404 even has 3-pt., ---no lpto or ta ever offered in the 404 as far as I know. also mine is only a 4 speed where the 504 and 340 are 5-speed trans.

If the hubs will come off the axles,---- the seals and or o rings wont be hard to replace.

I love these little IH utility models! --- I can get on and off them without any trouble and they are comfy to drive!

2 hours ago, Duntongw said:

pto ok, what is lpto

Independent Power Take Off. Means the PTO is independent of any other function of the tractor other than the PTO control lever. Used to be a "thing" 70 years ago. Now we think of it as standard equipment, or a live PTO as iowaboy1965 said.

On 3/16/2021 at 12:22 AM, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I was always more curious why the big eyebolt was mounted up on the center of the grille housing ahead of the hood ornament. 

gunsight for the 50 cal woodchuck gun that was removed before the auction.

I think it is unique to your tractor.

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Look at the pictures.  No oil leaking at the outer hub from the center.  But from the rear picture you can see the oily end of the axle.  It is the axle seals as he stated. But, you had a good idea.  Just doesn't appear to be the case here. 

Didn't  I say or outer seals?

5 minutes ago, Moodnacreek said:

Didn't  I say or outer seals?

The way you worded it, it sounded like you were talking about the o-ring under the washer on the outside of the hub only.  I agree that if the hubs will come off, changing the outer axle seal is no big deal.  But again with your wording, it sounded as if you thought there is an inner more difficult seal to change, which there is not.  If you know there is only an o-ring and outer axle seal then I think your post was kind of stating the obvious.... if it is leaking oil out the end of the axle then the seal is bad... there is nothing else that could cause it.  Unless of course the outer axle bearing is toast, which is always possible.  

2 hours ago, ny bill o said:

gunsight for the 50 cal woodchuck gun that was removed before the auction.

I think it is unique to your tractor.

Very likely is unique to my tractor!  Guessing as to the potential purpose.......

• Like 1