Rant about part out guys

Old F-14

Forward: I have no issue with parting out stuff, as I realize it takes parts to keep something going. I also realize it's the American way to make a buck.

I'm getting real tired of these part out guys around here. I'm not sure if its that way everywhere, but its sure like that here in Michigan. They buy any equipment that is fair priced, even nice stuff take the tires/rims off, a few choice parts and scrap the rest for iron. Want any part (even not desirable), its $250 up, or they will "haul it in for iron". Attached is the picture of one of the such guys iron pile ready to be loaded into semi trucks. Made me shed a tear.

They seem to have no respect for anything other then a quick buck, even at the cost of history and the future of the hobby. My teenage cousin has been looking for a project tractor, and still is. ANYTHING within his price range quickly gets snapped up by these fellows. One part-outer even acted like a complete jerk and figuratively p*ssed circles around a tractor at a non-auction estate sale. Do they not realize that you can conduct business, buy something, sell stuff, but NOT go out of your way to piss others off and act like a jerk?

Inquired about that Allis on his iron pile. Figured I'd give it to my kid cousin for his project. Offered the guy $150 over Iron price (Iron is high now). He said I won't take less then a grand or I'll scrap it. Idiot. Doesn't he realize that $150 over iron price is better then iron price? I know he made out selling the rims and tires and the mag. I just don't get it.

150425388_249645069950051_4551770375560008001_o.jpg

• Sad 3

I understand your frustration.  Selling used tractor parts for a living is hard on me sometimes,  but some must give their lives that others may live.  However,  I am proud to say that my employer sells nearly every usable part before the chassis goes for scrap.  Usually an empty transmission housing left.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lightninboy said:

The way to combat it is to buy stuff before the jockey does.

I have tried that numerous times. However,  it is amazing how many times an item is not for sale, they are going to fix it up someday.   Then they pass away before you know it, and the scrapper snatches it from the hairs. (Usually for less than I offered!)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I feel your pain, 10 years ago or more I was at  an auction in western NE junkies was buying all they could,

once I talked to a few of them I found a way to buy the tin work off them and was able to save a lot of rare stuff

But still a shame what went to make re-bar

2 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Ford 6000. B.F. Avery? Ford Super Dexta? A Case and Allis. There's a potential demand for everything sooner or later. And they might all go to scrap.

No Avery. Tractor behind the Super Dextra is a F-14 and the Yellow tractor to the left of the Allis is a Huber

I don’t see that happening at the few places I visit. 

on another note the EPA is on these guys back all the time  to clean up junk yards . There could be a day when there are none of these guys left. 

That is a shame. Last week got wind of a guy who is going to clean up some of his now passed away father in laws tractors. He was waiting for a roll off. John Deere's A, B and GP. Farmalls F20 and Super M. All of them were projects he never got around to and sat outside. We agreed on scrap price and I will pick them up this spring. It may be to late for them, but I hated the thought of another set of Chinese wrenched made from classic iron.  I got a compliment once from out local scrap yard guy. "Mike. When you bring in scrap. Its scrap"

• Like 5

2 hours ago, lightninboy said:

The way to combat it is to buy stuff before the jockey does.

they are full time criminals here,  have made good offers on running, ($2k too low) .....buuuu t the scrapper said his kids were starving and about to live on the street so gave it to him for $1K.

ok then call said christian helpless/ hopeless on the COMPANY phone, he is offering YOUR running tractor for $5K  1 week ONLY.    then $12K + for the parts   45 days off to china.

relatives have orders here,EVERYTHING that doesnt sell 75% of what I paid, cut/destroy it then it goes to china

5 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

on another note the EPA is on these guys back all the time  to clean up junk yards . There could be a day when there are none of these guys left. 

more blue BS   local smucks lapp $$$$ it up, to where it is virtually illegal to own anything,4" of laws here and they are owner specific.

wish every day we could sell out ,but all of columbia hasn't moved out yet

Basically people are a**holes, and that type always has been. Not an equipment story but a gun story, 20 years ago I bought a nice saw 39-2, paid 450.00 with 2 mags, high but at 98% I wanted one so I buy it. A month later another push by the feds scares everyone and I hear of another one that the guy is taking in to the police and getting crushed, not as nice but I tell him 250.00 and I’ll do the transfer (it was an estate gun he had no license) he says no, he wants 350.00 or away it goes, ( like I care) I tell him cya, the next day he goes to the police and drops it off, no payout, I shook my head, peeps are nuts.

1 hour ago, mmi said:

they are full time criminals here,  have made good offers on running, ($2k too low) .....buuuu t the scrapper said his kids were starving and about to live on the street so gave it to him for $1K.

Boomhauer knows what he's talking about.

• Haha 2

I can see at least three pieces on that Ford that I need for my 4400.

The dog in the manger people. My way or the highway. 

Local story of a guy wanting to sell 2 farm Cats from the 50's for big dollars. Nobody would come close to his price. Hauled to scrape and had them partly crushed before he would leave.

Once u pay for it u can do as u please. That being said ****** me off. Tried to buy a decent 656 off a scrapper for 1000 1500, he paid 400. He wouldn’t sell it. Another local guy sells parts. Advertises to buy tractors next line down he a ad for a Schwartz front end for sale. $800. Probably didn’t spend  500 on entire tractor! Each his own but I have a hard time supporting those people

Different guy when I needed a radiator for the 1480. $150. More than fair. I have bought and sold some and try to be fair also . Remember my neighbor bought a B jd for $600 with f11. He wanted to sell it so I was interested, should have 500 he said. It would of been cheap enough but I wouldn’t of done that to him

1 hour ago, Dasnake said:

Basically people are a**holes, and that type always has been. Not an equipment story but a gun story, 20 years ago I bought a nice saw 39-2, paid 450.00 with 2 mags, high but at 98% I wanted one so I buy it. A month later another push by the feds scares everyone and I hear of another one that the guy is taking in to the police and getting crushed, not as nice but I tell him 250.00 and I’ll do the transfer (it was an estate gun he had no license) he says no, he wants 350.00 or away it goes, ( like I care) I tell him cya, the next day he goes to the police and drops it off, no payout, I shook my head, peeps are nuts.

Some people receive joy out of seeing other people happy. Whether lending a hand, helping them get ahead or giving them a good deal, it is self satisfying. It feels good to know you did some one right when you didn't have to. 

Others are out for themselves, get what they can, **** with anybody else. He could have made a good friend that day Jake but evidently his azzhat was pulled down too tight. What a sad sad life.

• Like 4

one scrapper told me he gets "special price" over what I would get for the same stuff at the junkyard. Oooookayyyy.....

ya same chit goes on here too! --- AND yes there are certain guys that do get "SPECIAL" pricing for everything they bring in! --- I found that out thru the grapevine here!----sad to see all the nice stuff they waste!

• Sad 1

This subject made me remember 30 years ago I was really into baseball memorabilia and at one show a guy had a Reggie Jackson bat for sale, I low lowballed him and he said no but he came back with a decent downsize but I went lower, he said duck you, I won’t sell it to you period, bye, so I’m in the same a**hole category also.

I have bought 3 or so to part out. First one was a Farmall A , ran , radiator shot, tin mangled , smoked like a freight train. I needed a few things for another A I had gotten to fix. $260 and I drove the A home most of the way and towed it the rest of the way. Sold the jd trailer two way plow to my uncle, sickle bar to a friend and parted out the A . M with a siezed engine and missing some parts. Would have been an ok one to fix IF you had a donor tractor with all the parts needed. 

I don't like seeing them parted but I can't afford to buy them all and fix them up in the end . I currently have a third 450 that my brother got as a parts tractor. I had what he needed to fix up his 400 with P/S and I will fix his clutch or whatever is wrong with his drive in it so I can save another 450 

Theres a guy like that here in SE MI that does that...he has deep pockets and goes to every auction within a 100 mile radius and tries to buy up everything because he resells it.  If he doesn't get what he wants he has a habit of throwing a tantrum. Sucks for anyone that doesn't have deep pockets and only came to buy one or two things.  Also the type of guy that has to get everything cheap but won't sell it reasonably, and thinks everything he's got is gold.  LIke a 1206 that's got 4 rusted wheels, a locked motor, and rustier than the Edmund Fitzgerald, but wants top retail price on it.  I avoid the guy like the plague.  

• Like 1