BTD6 steering clutch removal

I would guess that the unit components would have been assembled on a jig/fixture of some kind to get the accumulated error out of the sub-assembly mounting holes (bolt pattern) prior to mounting to tractor??

8 hours ago, just Dave said:

I would guess that the unit components would have been assembled on a jig/fixture of some kind to get the accumulated error out of the sub-assembly mounting holes (bolt pattern) prior to mounting to tractor??

Maybe but just looking at it now, if you remove the battery’s and battery boxes, disconnect the fuel and remove the bolts that hold the assembly to the steering clutch cover plate and the few that secure the fenders, I think it would lift off in tact with enough structure to hold the alignment. I note the service manual doesn’t suggest it comes off in one unit, but boy it would save a lot of time. It would need to be lifted straight up level and then back I think.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 8:06 PM, Dave Mac said:

Now that the steering clutch issue is over (for now) I have been thinking about the huge number of hours required to complete this task and what I could have done to make it easier and faster.  I am not getting any younger and I know it now takes me longer to do anything, but I have had a lifetime of experience as an Engineer working on everything from Helicopters to motorcycles. ( no trains ) The biggest job is removing all the metal to get to the clutches.

Just recently I was looking at some old photos of new International tractors including the TD6  being assembled new in New Zealand, and I noticed the seat box section, guards and fuel tank were assembled as a unit before being fitted. So I wondered why I didn’t try removing and installing it as a unit, certainly a whole lot less bolts to remove. I  guess the weight factor could be an issue, but any front end loader or good hoist would work.  Hope I don’t have to try it, but it may help someone else who is facing this job.

I would be interested in any comments, maybe others already have this sorted.

Dave

...the real fun ones , Dave, were the track loaders.....had to do a crown wheel and pinion change  in one of the Z125  track loaders.....I have always liked tracks....(   and   no...I don't believe our ancestry had any history of insanity,,,but.......:mellow:   )....and ended up with several  BTD6 and    Z125 loader   (Z125  =   BTD  8 )....and to do clutches     (Brakes   no big deal ..)  and that Crown  wheel /Pinion job  really taxed ones patience...   one had to utter the Saviour's   name...frequently....and one had to be very supple of body..to work around the loader frame....

Track loaders were very good for one aspect of the contracting  I used to do...and with the ubquitous  "Four in One" bucket set up...they were very versatile  machines....and none better than a Case 850  ..back in the day...

Mike

post-157-1161841105  Z125.jpg

post-157-1158221230  case1910.jpg

• Like 2

I am curious what you liked about the 850 Case I have never run one.It looks like 25'000 pounds or so ?? I run my 150B on my little plot, chipping away at the rock,,slowly. I had a 977 here for awhile, It did better but the expense was much more in fuel and I had to pay rent for it. I see an excavator in my future but I can only afford an old one.

On 5/17/2022 at 4:42 AM, mike newman said:

.and none better than a Case 850 

On 5/17/2022 at 12:58 AM, Dave Mac said:

but boy it would save a lot of time.

I agree Dave if kept as one unit hole pattern should mach right up.

6 hours ago, just Dave said:

I agree Dave if kept as one unit hole pattern should mach right up.

Well after saying there is nothing in the service manual about removing it all assembled, I read the section about reassembling, after transmission work and there it recommends the seat, fenders and fuel tank be assembled as a unit before refitting to the tractor …..

So we all learn something every day, pays to read the service manual !!!!

• Like 1