Tandem grain drill hitch revisited

I posted a thread a little over 4 years ago about building a tandem grain drill hitch. As you can guess, i have never went any further with the idea because looking at the designs that were factory built looked to complex for our farm shop to build.

These type of drills ( both IH and John Deere) are next to non existent in my part of the world. I have seen 2 tandem IH drills in my life. No Deeres. With me deciding that home built is probably not a option i got to wondering if there are any bone yards around that knock grain drills in the head that may have a tandem hitch setup sitting in the yard that could be bought. Burrell's is out of business from what I can tell. 

Another question is were these hitches considered extra equipment or part of the drill. Was it bought as a kit and if so is it in the realm of possibility that you could come by these needed parts somewhere New unused stock?

Being home all the time right now has given me time to go through projects and this is one if it was feasible i would like to tackle. A wider grain drill without spending a arm and a leg. 

Here's some pictures of the Deere tandem setup if possible i would like to come across since we have a 8300 deill

20210311_214152.jpg

20210311_214212.jpg

20210311_214222.jpg

There where far more built in the country hitches here 30 years ago than factor. Because of wine grapes taking over not many used anymore.

The popular design was hitch poll like the last picture of your JD add. But it had a triangle that pivoted off  the hitch. Had castor wheel on the outer end, where you hitched the second drill. A hydraulic cylinder was used to fold the triangle wing up in the air for transport down the road. The hard part was getting it all lined up to hitch the 2 together if you moved down the road often. There where also a lot with a wing on each side of the center drill to pull 3. This was all used extreme hillside harvest with hillside combines.  The same style hitch was used on both JD and IH drills. But because of dealers there 20 JD's for ever IH. I believe I may have seen some shop built 2 or 3 drill hitches on tractor house used drill listing out of the southern plain wheat country. 

For your other question I just came across Burrell Implement Co in Ok that specializes in JD 8000 series grain drill parts used and after market as well as new JD. Had reasonable website  and other stuff.  

When I get the drills out this spring I will take some pictures and send to you of a hitch made by Arlie Hill from Nezperce Idaho. One of the sons now runs HillCo the company that makes levelers for combines. It was a simple design using square tubing. You do have to get off the tractor a couple of times to pull pins as you sit up and tear down but you can do the whole thing usually in under five minutes time. He made them for both JD and IH drills as that was primarily the market in this area. Mine is on 510 drills. See no reason you could not build a hitch in the shop. Instead of castor wheels he used a car tire on pillow block bearings under the factory tongue.

11 hours ago, 1480x3 said:

The IHs around here were a bridge hitch similar to the hay rake bridge hitch only heavier

Ive seen a couple of the IH versions. Just never any of the Deere versions. I liked the looks of it better than the Deere honestly but im working with what we have and we have a 8300. 

Screwed up on a 5100 with the tandem hitch about 7 years ago. One of the 2 ive seen was at a farm auction. They broke the 2 drills apart and sold them separately. The trailing drill went for more than the drill with the hitch. Drill with the hitch sold for 950 dollars and wasn't in bad shape at all. After they closed i realized that I screwed up. We were there for a nurse tank trailer that went stupid high.

11 hours ago, ray54 said:

For your other question I just came across Burrell Implement Co in Ok that specializes in JD 8000 series grain drill parts used and after market as well as new JD. Had reasonable website  and other stuff

Thank you. For some reason when I was looking i kept coming up empty for their site or anything with contact information.

11 hours ago, IHC_1470 said:

When I get the drills out this spring I will take some pictures and send to you of a hitch made by Arlie Hill from Nezperce Idaho. One of the sons now runs HillCo the company that makes levelers for combines. It was a simple design using square tubing. You do have to get off the tractor a couple of times to pull pins as you sit up and tear down but you can do the whole thing usually in under five minutes time. He made them for both JD and IH drills as that was primarily the market in this area. Mine is on 510 drills. See no reason you could not build a hitch in the shop. Instead of castor wheels he used a car tire on pillow block bearings under the factory tongue.

Id appreciate that. Maybe it can give me some ideas. 

Im just trying to plant what wheat, oats and alfalfa a little faster than we currently do. Don't want to plunk down a ton of money on a No till drill that right now may plant 60 or 70 acres a year total. 

Had 2 5100s hooked together with the IH hitch back in the middle 90s. Pulled them behind a 25' brillion cultimulcher with the 1086. Made a fold up sighting outfit out of pipe and hung it on the weight bracket. Traded the drills in '99 on a new 1560. Deere salesman gave on paper 900.00 for the front drill with the hitch because when I bought it, the original hitch for the drill was MIA. They sold the back drill pretty quickly, but the front one was there a good year. Salesman said he finally sold it to a jockey for 600.00. Drill and hitch together. IF you could find a 5100 with the IH hitch reasonable and hook the 8300 in the back.

22 minutes ago, 856 Custom said:

Had 2 5100s hooked together with the IH hitch back in the middle 90s. Pulled them behind a 25' brillion cultimulcher with the 1086. Made a fold up sighting outfit out of pipe and hung it on the weight bracket. Traded the drills in '99 on a new 1560. Deere salesman gave on paper 900.00 for the front drill with the hitch because when I bought it, the original hitch for the drill was MIA. They sold the back drill pretty quickly, but the front one was there a good year. Salesman said he finally sold it to a jockey for 600.00. Drill and hitch together. IF you could find a 5100 with the IH hitch reasonable and hook the 8300 in the back.

That's a thought i had too. They aren't common to begin with and usually they are for sale online. They are selling the pair. 

If i found this option, that would be ideal.

12 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

I posted a thread a little over 4 years ago about building a tandem grain drill hitch. As you can guess, i have never went any further with the idea because looking at the designs that were factory built looked to complex for our farm shop to build.

These type of drills ( both IH and John Deere) are next to non existent in my part of the world. I have seen 2 tandem IH drills in my life. No Deeres. With me deciding that home built is probably not a option i got to wondering if there are any bone yards around that knock grain drills in the head that may have a tandem hitch setup sitting in the yard that could be bought. Burrell's is out of business from what I can tell. 

Another question is were these hitches considered extra equipment or part of the drill. Was it bought as a kit and if so is it in the realm of possibility that you could come by these needed parts somewhere New unused stock?

Being home all the time right now has given me time to go through projects and this is one if it was feasible i would like to tackle. A wider grain drill without spending a arm and a leg. 

Here's some pictures of the Deere tandem setup if possible i would like to come across since we have a 8300 deill

20210311_214152.jpg

20210311_214212.jpg

20210311_214222.jpg

Call this guy once. Don Macklin at Spencerville Ohio, (419) 667-2542. He and his son Steve will know or even have what your looking for. Local jockeys. All your out of is a phone call if nothing else.

Someone else had a number for a place on this thread before the reset. Unfortunately I didn't have it written down and its lost now. 

Try Duane Miller, Bourbon In. Deals in planters, drills & hay equip. 574-849 3607. Hr might be able to help.

Just now, larv71 said:

Try Duane Miller, Bourbon In. Deals in planters, drills & hay equip. 574-849 3607. Hr might be able to help.

Thank you, i got the number now