11 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I like Deere's Soap for sleeve o-rings...........a bottle does last a long time, numbers worn off my old one so I had to hunt up the number to order new.  I used dawn, crisco, and some others over the years, like Deere's the best of all.  Nobody else must use it though, new bottle I got this summer still had the old jumping deere on it:rolleyes:

I like to use the Deere soap also. Have used any type of lube to install liner orings. Have used lots of dawn dish soap but it has downfalls. The dish soap will mark the honed surface of sleeves. I think early IH manuals recommended oil but ether use cooking oil or Deere and Cat liner lube. As far as sealer I bet we have used over a 1000 big and small bottles of permatex aviation and the John Deere counterpart. Used the Indian head and copper coat  stuff and any type of sealer you can find.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, dale560 said:

I like to use the Deere soap also. Have used any type of lube to install liner orings. Have used lots of dawn dish soap but it has downfalls. The dish soap will mark the honed surface of sleeves. I think early IH manuals recommended oil but ether use cooking oil or Deere and Cat liner lube. As far as sealer I bet we have used over a 1000 big and small bottles of permatex aviation and the John Deere counterpart. Used the Indian head and copper coat  stuff and any type of sealer you can find.

X2

Spray hi tack

brush on permatex number 2 in certain areas

transmission assembly lube for most orings and rubber piston seals, pto clutch’s, etc

and 515 (grape jelly)

I use hylomar on all gaskets.  It was made for head gasket but i also use it on all cork gaskets  or two machine surfaces . This stuff dosent harden up so you can reuse it with out replacing a gasket if the gasket is in good shape. ie  valve cover after rebuild when you might have to retorque a head, and set valve setting. as far as orings i only use dc-33 ( dow corning)

I use a variety of sealers.

Rtv for standard gasket sealing, as already stated just a smear.

Hylomar for water system of stuff that might be serviced again.

The Right Stuff of all cork as this is urethane based sealed and helps prolong the cork from getting oil saturated.

Yamabond/Hondabond for those thin gasket dressing that is stringy and remains plyable.

I believe in most cases gasket dressing is required as most of the stuff I work on has been repaired multiple times and has gouges.  Even though I clean with mineral spirits and stone the surfaces.

Pipe sealer with liquid Teflon on all fittings.  Never use Teflon tape on oil galley plugs for risk of a chunk of Teflon going into bearings.