1466 alternator

55 minutes ago, redpower123 said:

I was disking last night and when I turned on the lights the amp gauge went negative but when I got it revd up it went straight up 12oclock wondering if alternator is going bad 

Is it still starting ok? maybe a bad connection or a lazy voltage regulator

13 minutes ago, redpower123 said:

Snoshoe I need to check the belts as far as alternator I think it’s a delco not sure on voltage I think it’s probably around 12 years old 

Wow if its that old it doesn't owe you anything then might be time to replace it before things really get busy if your talking a cab with A/C and if its a dleco it probably had at least a 63 or 72  amp alternator. I would make sure your connections are clean and tight and your batteries are in good shape also

5 minutes ago, redpower123 said:

I got a new one still in the box I bought several years ago I’ll have to splice the wires longer because tractor is a top plug in and new alternator is bottom plug 

If they are both delco's someone didn't position the rear half the right way they can be changed

Not really if you remove the 4 housing screws and remove the field winding with the back half you will probably have to reinsert the brushes back into the holder and slide a tooth pic into the brush holder on the back of the housing to keep the brushes back and reassemble the housing in same position as your old one with the plug facing up then after its screwed back together you can pull the tooth pic out so the brushes will contact the stator rings 

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:
29 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Take the screws out that hold halves together. Pry apart keeping stator with rear half. Use toothpick or small wire to retain brushes. Put back together in correct position. Pull out tooth pick or wire.

I’ll try this thanks guys for your help 

Can't the halves just be twisted with the bolts removed? It's been a while but I thought I clocked an alternator by doing just that.

I don't recall having to mess with the brushes but I usually clocked them before I put the pulley on.

If your extremely careful it can be done but it still has to be separated enough to let everything turn  with out binding The stator is a pretty tight fit .Doesn't really take much longer to just remove it and place it in the right position with the brushes locked into the holder to be on the safe side