Farmall steering wear

My recently acquired Farmall 806 has some play in the steering between piston rack and pinion. Is there any way of reducing the play ? as looking in the parts catalog and shop manual it doesn’t look like there is. Have seen a few used pistons for sale but I guess they are likely to be worn. Are they still available?  Then I guess the pinion will be worn as well!  Where does it end?? I can get a piston and pinion made but that will be serious money. 
do I live with the play?  Or maybe modify the system to use the international steering cylinder on the underside of the frame rail?  Any good ideas?  

Are you sure the wear is in the rack and pinion?  Bad tie rod ends at center steering arms and outer steering arms will make for sloppy steering.   Steering arms loose on spindles can make for slop in the steering as well. Check all these points first.

• Like 1

Definitely play in the rack. Tie rod ends are shot as well. Pinion bearings are ok. Thanks Snoshoe!  That is the answer I was hoping for. You have me just saved me a load of money!  I was having mad ideas of cutting the rack section out of the piston on a wire erode and fitting shims behind the rack to push it further into mesh or having a toothed section made and fitted in the piston  etc etc  

I have just learned a lesson. Read the shop manual thoroughly. It does explain how to reduce play in the rack. I think we get so reliant on the knowledge on this forum we get a bit lazy.   
When someone responds to a post by saying get a manual they aren’t being sarcastic!

28 minutes ago, England806 said:

I think we get so reliant on the knowledge on this forum we get a bit lazy.   
When someone responds to a post by saying get a manual they aren’t being sarcastic!

This statement makes me so happy.  I am usually one of those guys saying read the manual.  It's true! The answer is almost always within. 

• Like 1

J mech. You were one person I had in mind when I made that statement. 
you are absolutely right about reading the manual. I read it twice and after Snoshoes post I read it again and found what he had described. Sometimes it takes someone else to point it out. 

Isn't the lash adjusted by the depth of the pinion shaft on the rack ?

I know on a older pickup or medium duty farm truck its adjusted by moving the pinion shaft deeper into the worm gear 

20 minutes ago, Fred B said:

is there any way to fix a 5488 for same problem?    reducing play in steering ?

No rack and pinion on that tractor. You will have to determine where the play is.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, Fred B said:

is there any way to fix a 5488 for same problem?    reducing play in steering ?

Totally different set up.  You should be able to easily determine where the wear is on a 5488.  Replace those worn parts.  

• Like 1

snowshoe, jmech, 

Looks like our post got cut off.  I checked on the  loose steering on the 5488.   There is very, very little play in the vertical spindle to steering arm, (both sides) Don't know how to fix that.  I'm not going to weld it.  Hydraulic cylinder appears to be tight.  One ball joint has a little play in the ball joint taper.  I got the plastic slide/cover up from the steering shaft.  The little u joint on the shaft down in there appears to be good, no play. ( Had the engine running).  Appears to be about 1/4 turn play in the steering wheel, assuming it's in the steering motor.  Guess the steering motor is the only place it can be.  So you are saying the only way to fix that part is with a new steering motor?  (hand pump)  tractor shows  5493.31 hr., engine runs good, trans I was told had all updates, I've had it about 7 yrs. probably put 400 hours? on it. It's was a backup to 7150.  Guess I was a little naive when I bought the thing.  I thought it had a little over 5,000 hours now I realize it is probably a little over 15,000.  The clutch is really jumpy.  If you don't have enough throttle and you let the clutch out, nothing happens and the sentry light comes on and you have to speed the engine up to near half throttle so the clutch will engage and then it's really jumpy.  I'm not going to spend much on this tractor.

If the steering wheel shaft is tight to hand pump. Then yes either new or rebuild hand pump. I doubt parts are available except at a hydraulic rebuildèr.

Your description of your clutch problem tells me you have a regulated circuit hydraulic problem and an inoperative sentry system. Continued operation like that is apt to take out the high low.

• Like 1