Well almost, left the house in central Kansas Monday morning. Unloaded wheat screenings in Portales New Mexico, and continued on down to Carlsbad and reloaded with Potash. Unloaded it in central Nebraska Wednesday morning and loaded alfalfa pellets and tonight (Wednesday) I am sitting in Cashton Wisconsin. 
I am here to tell you, it’s a lot easier to travel 800 miles in Texas in a day, then it is to travel 700 miles in Iowa and Minnesota!

2257 miles in 3 days and another 800 before I get home for the weekend. 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Lazy WP said:

Well almost, left the house in central Kansas Monday morning. Unloaded wheat screenings in Portales New Mexico, and continued on down to Carlsbad and reloaded with Potash. Unloaded it in central Nebraska Wednesday morning and loaded alfalfa pellets and tonight (Wednesday) I am sitting in Cashton Wisconsin. 
I am here to tell you, it’s a lot easier to travel 800 miles in Texas in a day, then it is to travel 700 miles in Iowa and Minnesota!

2257 miles in 3 days and another 800 before I get home for the weekend. 

You made me laff, we biked down to San Antonio in ‘83, pulled into El Paso and headed east to San Antonio, straight straight straight for two days, dialed her up to 80 put our feet up and just rolled on, don’t go around mtns don’t go over mtns just go through mtns, great ride, hope your travels are good and safe, take care.

29 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

You made me laff, we biked down to San Antonio in ‘83, pulled into El Paso and headed east to San Antonio, straight straight straight for two days, dialed her up to 80 put our feet up and just rolled on, don’t go around mtns don’t go over mtns just go through mtns, great ride, hope your travels are good and safe, take care.

I'm reminded of that quote about the 55 mph speed limit taking the crossing of Texas from a journey to a career

2 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

I'm reminded of that quote about the 55 mph speed limit taking the crossing of Texas from a journey to a career

550 miles of sagebrush, truck stops, dead deer and rocks, it added to my Disneyland expectations of the Alamo, imagine my naive thinking when we pulled up in front of the Alamo in the middle of a bustling city, nary a cow, a Mexican soldier, a friar or a gunfighter around, no coon skin hats either.

• Haha 2
31 minutes ago, Dasnake said:

550 miles of sagebrush, truck stops, dead deer and rocks, it added to my Disneyland expectations of the Alamo, imagine my naive thinking when we pulled up in front of the Alamo in the middle of a bustling city, nary a cow, a Mexican soldier, a friar or a gunfighter around, no coon skin hats either.

Obviously BYO has a wider application than bottles?

5 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

That and the 85 mph speedometer were wonderful ideas by the federal government, finally repealed.

i once left Chicago and went to San Diego, then up to LA to a customs importer to get loaded, up to Peshtigo WI, Escanaba MI, up across the UP to Sault Ste. Marie to cross into Canada then over to Niagara Falls to cross back to the U.S. on my way to Boston, then it was back to WI. so thats definitely border to border and coast to coast. i think it was somewhere around 8000 miles and 12 days

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Exactly, went to Texas is January on a hog hunt,all of my John Wayne images of SouthTexas are destroyed. We didn't see a single person on horse back,No wide open plains,just miles and miles of mesquite. If they had not discovered oil , i don't think there would not be anything down there.

I wish i would have never gone to the Alamo, and just lived with my vision of it,just a small patch among the sky scrapers.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

am here to tell you, it’s a lot easier to travel 800 miles in Texas in a day, then it is to travel 700 miles in Iowa and Minnesota!

That's cause there ain't much worth stopping for in Texas....?

• Like 2

I found a long time ago. Texas seems to be a great state to be from. Far, far from.

Actually, I found something special in Texas. We have been married just over 50 years. (But she was born in Duluth, Minnesota)

• Like 1

The long stretches is what was good about Texas. Back in the split speed limit days 20 years ago trucks could only run 60 and 55 at night while cars could do 70 and 65 at night. I remember trucks would line up running 75+ at night from El Paso to Dallas without stopping. A couple trucks would start it and those that could do it would fall in line and ride. I’d heard of the trains going on for a couple miles but I was always toward the front of them. That made for a fast 600 miles and with all the trucks there was plenty going on to keep you awake. Cops didn’t mess with us either unless you were asking for it. 

• Like 3

I made several trips across Texas well before the freeways.  I would enjoy talking to the trucker who drove over 55 on those  original roads from Shreveport  to El Paso!  The real bottle necks were in Mississippi in 1963. Some of those same highways seemed to have been transplanted to  today's North East Oklahoma. 

Prior to 2019 my family was involved in trucking. A load does not pay more $ for a speeding delivery  and brokers  do not pay fines for weight or speeding. So destroying your rig by abuse gains the private hauler nothing but less $$ at the end of the year due to more damage to the rig.

So relax and have a safe trip!

• Like 1
On 3/11/2021 at 6:24 AM, iowaboy1965 said:

That's cause there ain't much worth stopping for in Texas....?

On 3/11/2021 at 7:35 AM, 1965Dennis said:

I found a long time ago. Texas seems to be a great state to be from. Far, far from.

Actually, I found something special in Texas. We have been married just over 50 years. (But she was born in Duluth, Minnesota)

I farm in South Texas near Corpus Christi.  There are so many people moving here I have a hard time getting my equipment down the roads because of all the mail boxes.  

If you come back, please do as you say, and don't stop, just keep going and go far, far away.  Thank you.  Fred B.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do they still have Gilleys in Texas?

Me and a buddy had a large time there one night when we got waaaay off the reservation.

Was Christmas break from high school and them southern dollies warmed us northern boys up proper😍🤠

• Like 1