Corn Pro Livestock Trailer Opinions

hobbyfarm

I'm looking for a livestock trailer on a budget. My issue is my current Chevy 8.1 gas pickup doesn't have a gooseneck hitch and it has 269000 miles on it leaving me uninclined to spend money putting one in.  At one point I had a second truck with a gooseneck but choose to sell it before rust took it from me.  I could upgrade trucks but this one owes me nothing so I am going to keep running it.

This leaves me with bumper pull trailers.   I would love an eby but I can't justify it.  I'm looking at corn pro, or other steel trailers for a cheaper alternative.  Primary use would be moving market animals to butcher shop, delivering sold sheep or feeders to others etc.  I thought about renting it out to the backyard guys too.  I'm not thrilled that most have the 3500lb axles but I would use a customer hauler for anything over a few head anyway.  Any feedback on these trailers?  Any idea on life expectancy in the salt belt assuming cleanouts between use?  

Screenshot_20210310-173419.png

though CP may be # 2-3, any steel trailer has a life< 10 yrs, even less in caustic faux salt.

needs washed dried oiled after EVERY use put away heated 

and still stay off roads 0ct 31- april 1

anyone THAT still has one intact, here is aluminum,inclusive of the $60K cidiots 

The steel UC is still junk,get the best you can afford and expect 3 yr  then every year service

and yes NOW used is 70-120% of new  BC economy is SOOO great !

Their longer models have higher GVW.  If the shorter models fit your application better I would check if they would build one with the heavier axles.  I am in a similar boat as I want a tilt bed with 10K GVW but most are 14K GVW.  That maybe good insurance though.

I have 2 Corn Pro gooseneck deckovers and really like them, they’re well built. I have also used the identical twin to that red trailer at Wengers. I liked it. They’re obviously heavier than a comparable aluminum but they’re solid and have nice rear doors on them (nothing worse than a livestock trailer with a door that isn’t functional.)

Did Bison ever build a real stock trailer?  Not the ones they make now for $$$$ horse crew with live in quarters, but a real one?  Seem recall there was a bunch of them here, unless it was Adams I am thinking of.  My pap had one like you pictured, pretty sure it was a Bison though, held up good.............Know a few other guys who have the same brand only in GN form from the mid 90's and they are still going.  Keep them cleaned out and under roof, wash/oil if out in the salt and they do last.  Guys who never did that didn't get more than a few years out of them.  I will say one thing, there is no way I would "Rent" it out, lot of crap you could drag back to your herd in a stock trailer that you don't need.  

Dad bought a 16 foot Corn Pro stock trailer new in 2004. Other than a set of tires a few years ago and some wiring issues last fall it’s been a great trailer.

8 minutes ago, FarmallFan said:

Dad bought a 16 foot Corn Pro stock trailer new in 2004. Other than a set of tires a few years ago and some wiring issues last fall it’s been a great trailer.

I think wiring issues are an issue with any trailer.  Not sure where scotch locks are acceptable, but trailer manufacturers sure think they are......

Have spent a lot of time on a CornPro 22ft gooseneck livestock trailer, it is average at best, not the best yet not the worst.

Like someone else said it will rust and rot to nothing, I would buy a used aluminum over a new steel unless you are not pulling it in the salt.

CornPro pulls hard, it is a heavy steel trailer and feels like it!

4 hours ago, mmi said:

Thanks guys.  What do you mean by oil it?  Are you spraying the underside?

4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Did Bison ever build a real stock trailer?  Not the ones they make now for $$$$ horse crew with live in quarters, but a real one?  Seem recall there was a bunch of them here, unless it was Adams I am thinking of.  My pap had one like you pictured, pretty sure it was a Bison though, held up good.............Know a few other guys who have the same brand only in GN form from the mid 90's and they are still going.  Keep them cleaned out and under roof, wash/oil if out in the salt and they do last.  Guys who never did that didn't get more than a few years out of them.  I will say one thing, there is no way I would "Rent" it out, lot of crap you could drag back to your herd in a stock trailer that you don't need.  

I gaurentee your right about renting it and bringing things back.  I really didn't think about that in my scheme because we really haven't had any disease issues. Our beef and sheep aren't closed herds but new animals aren't introduced more then once a year.  We do vaccinate the cattle at preg check time.  I would think the little backyard guy is scarier then the larger operations from a biosocurity stand point.  Do you think custom haulers bring the same diseases?  Just curious what your thoughts are. 

7 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

I gaurentee your right about renting it and bringing things back.  I really didn't think about that in my scheme because we really haven't had any disease issues. Our beef and sheep aren't closed herds but new animals aren't introduced more then once a year.  We do vaccinate the cattle at preg check time.  I would think the little backyard guy is scarier then the larger operations from a biosocurity stand point.  Do you think custom haulers bring the same diseases?  Just curious what your thoughts are. 

I don't know, when I had a local haul my new ones in from the PA/OH line years back, we power washed the trailer down before both in and out.............once he was done we did it again as part of the deal.  That was the last time a stock trailer was here going on 5 years now, I found a butcher that kills/skins/guts them right on site here, so no hauling out.  Reason I mention this was years ago a local borrowed a trailer to haul milk cows, and the herd hauled in were good and clean, closed, no issues...........place they were hauled to here was a former dairy and had no issues in the past and the herd was also closed...........however the place the trailer came from was sketchy, as were the cows that were hauled in it.  I was told they cleaned it, but it was during mud season so they did wash it out..............Wasn't long after the cows showed up that hairy warts broke out.  Neither place had them or any history of them, only one that had them was the place the trailer came from.  Now, I don't know much about them, but it seems to me it was plausible on what happened, and never forgot it.  Maybe someone here could scientifically dispute that, but after that, hauling and powerwasher/cleaner were as one here for more than just us.