Picking Corn

jflaw92

Last fall a friend of mine came up and took maternity pictures when my wife was still pregnant with our second son. I hopped off the tractor long enough to take a few with her then got back to it. He took this picture while we were finishing up picking corn. I thought it was a really good picture so I thought I'd share it with you all.

FB_IMG_1607994135104.jpg

• Like 22

What REALLY hurt our operation, fall of 1963 not only did Grandpa NOT rent his 160 acres to Dad, but Dad also lost his corn picking help, but at least he only had half the acres to pick. Saturdays when I was home we'd pick 2-3 times as much corn as Dad could get by himself.  On a Saturday we'd burn a whole tank of gas in the M under the picker, might even dump 5 gallon in during the afternoon. Dad could pick two days during the week at home. At the 80 we farmed with the neighbor, it was continuous corn for decades. With 2 pickers it was just two easy days to pick it all. Half mile rows, unload the wagons every round, pull the wagons to the elevators with the picker.

It's too bad the 4 row mounted pickers didn't become more popular. Even a 6 & 8 row would have been possible. Mount the heads on the 3-point and elevate the ears up to a husking bed at the front end of a tractor operating in reverse. The Uni-Harvesters never really caught on in our area. A New Idea Uni spent most of the winter sitting as a rusty burned up hulk one year in the one grass waterway of our farm. The seedcorn company thought 2 Uni's would more than replace 3 2-MH pickers.

3 hours ago, jflaw92 said:

Last fall a friend of mine came up and took maternity pictures when my wife was still pregnant with our second son. ...

That's the best time to take maternity pictures. ? Just kidding around. Great picture and congratulations on continuing a legacy!

My grandpa was one of the few people around home that picked and sold ear corn. After he died no one wanted to pick corn or do field corn for that matter, they switched to popcorn. So I figured I'd start picking. It's my grandpa's 3 row new idea picker, it'll flat eat some corn too, as long as you have a good supply if wagons on hand.

Wow, a super picker!  Would love to run one of them................I got a late model 2 row narrow NI that may see some use sooner or later.  Grew up with one row NI's, Mounted NI's and Uni systems.  This 2 row pull type will be a first for me..................

3 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

That is a frame-worthy picture!

...and I'm sure the other pictures taken that day were also, of course...

My friend gave me this picture printed on a metal plate thing to hang on the wall. I'm redoing the living room to match. There were probably other good pictures taken that day but none come to mind. Haha

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Wow, a super picker!  Would love to run one of them................I got a late model 2 row narrow NI that may see some use sooner or later.  Grew up with one row NI's, Mounted NI's and Uni systems.  This 2 row pull type will be a first for me..................

There use to be a one row that sat back in one of the barns that I always wanted to get out and use, but I can see why my grandpa didn't bother with it after he got this one.

that is a Great picture! tractor looks nice in working clothes.

One of my all time favorite jobs was picking ear corn. Dad had one long, narrow crib and 4 round cribs. About 1970-71, he bought a new 2 row New Idea picker that we pulled with a new 826 hydro. We raised corn on my grandmother's farm, 7 miles away from the home farm. I would take the 1950 IH L180, 15' platform dump, pick onto the gravity wagons that I still use, reload onto the L180, and drive home with the corn. The truck had glass in only 1 rear window, cold cold cold. Just watching the yellow ears fill the wagon was good for the soul.

• Like 1