Used Equipment Prices

Cdfarabaugh

I'm sure Machinery Pete highlights arent a perfectly accurate view if prices, but even in other places I've seen myself.....what's going through people's minds? 

Even though this is red forum and that 9400 combine wouldnt have much love, a year ago that was a $20,000 machine with no heads.  

For AG being in dire straits, lots of 30yr old equipment sure holds its value, almost to the point somebody budget minded wanting to start with old stuff is pushed out.  

Screenshot_20210309-095118_Facebook.jpg

I think it's supply or lack of driven . I have seen supply issues on various things. 

What is the back story..........Uncle Pete has a way of "Skewing" the real info so he can line his pockets.   I was at a sale that made Uncle Pete's headlines years ago when crop prices were up, what he failed to mention was two of the boys were bidding for the item and the one who wanted it the most paid for it...................If you took the price that it brought, divided it by half, it was not out of line with a similar one in similar condition.  I don't hear much about any "Headliners" from around me anymore, I think he pulled the plug on his "local reporter" that was here, and he was certainly a wing nut.  

PPP loans. CFAP1, 2, 3? money. Covid money. What else have they given away?

New crop prices looking strong. Interest rates low enough.

Good time to be selling equipment and lumber. I have added a couple things pretty reasonable. Got some locked in at low rates. Sitting on cash right now. Thinking it may have more buying power when this thing blows up. I think there are a number of people(non farm) the are on the edge of losing everything when the covid restrictions get lifted. Foreclosures and evictions are on hold right now. Be patient and shop around. A few deals out there but hard to find. I am holding off on a couple building projects til lumber tanks....

$40k for a “modern “ combine is still a bargain when compared to new costs.

Would this be old enough to NOT have a tier3-4 engine? Electronics still relatively simple?  Those would be to factors alone that would dictate price.

IF you were looking at the economic forecast for Ag, and watching the inflation (don’t worry about that, it isn’t happening) where would you rather be? Paid for combine that will get you the rest of your career, or one with double digit interest accumulating...

Maybe I’m all wet in my assessment, but that’s a few of the things I would be looking at...

2 minutes ago, new guy said:

PPP loans. CFAP1, 2, 3? money. Covid money. What else have they given away?

New crop prices looking strong. Interest rates low enough.

Good time to be selling equipment and lumber. I have added a couple things pretty reasonable. Got some locked in at low rates. Sitting on cash right now. Thinking it may have more buying power when this thing blows up. I think there are a number of people(non farm) the are on the edge of losing everything when the covid restrictions get lifted. Foreclosures and evictions are on hold right now. Be patient and shop around. A few deals out there but hard to find. I am holding off on a couple building projects til lumber tanks....

Funny that you mentioned lumber.

When talking to an employee at one of the sawmills I frequent, the lack of labor was brought up. Apparently the bonuses, healthcare and other perks were cut and now the mill can’t find labor, go figure...

When at the same time a load of retail lumber rolls out the door- before covid  $18-20,000. After covid- $25-30,000. The employee I spoke with said the boss was concerned about making too much money ? 

This covid crap will be biting all of us in the butt very soon. But don’t worry, we’ll all be vaccinated ??

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

I'm sure Machinery Pete highlights arent a perfectly accurate view if prices, but even in other places I've seen myself.....what's going through people's minds? 

Even though this is red forum and that 9400 combine wouldnt have much love, a year ago that was a $20,000 machine with no heads.  

For AG being in dire straits, lots of 30yr old equipment sure holds its value, almost to the point somebody budget minded wanting to start with old stuff is pushed out.  

Screenshot_20210309-095118_Facebook.jpg

Sale was about 5 miles from me. Didn't go, wasn't anything there I can use, but a friend said a 85 year old gentleman who's still farming bought the combine. Course it took another person bidding against him to bring what it did. Lol!

A tangible asset is a hedge against inflation vs. cash in a bank account.  Quality, used equipment will appreciate during times of inflation.  Just be sure you aren't buying up used forage boxes!

41 minutes ago, acem said:

Auction prices for quality equipment are up substantially here. Junk is still junk but even scrap iron is up from last year. Thx-Ace 

Just saw an M w/turbo set up sold last Saturday for $3900 and went from northern Illinois to Massachusetts 

1 hour ago, Ihfan4life said:

$40k for a “modern “ combine is still a bargain when compared to new costs.

Would this be old enough to NOT have a tier3-4 engine? Electronics still relatively simple?  Those would be to factors alone that would dictate price.

IF you were looking at the economic forecast for Ag, and watching the inflation (don’t worry about that, it isn’t happening) where would you rather be? Paid for combine that will get you the rest of your career, or one with double digit interest accumulating...

Maybe I’m all wet in my assessment, but that’s a few of the things I would be looking at...

Yeah, it doesnt have much in the way of complex electronics but dang, its 30 years old and has some hours on it.  If it didnt have it dine yet it's due for a lot if major work On top of that it's a "small" combine for modern times......and still no heads with it.  

What gets me is in the 70s/80s/90's were people going nuts over 30 yr old stuff?  Probably could go pick it off the lot a dime a dozen.  

I'm almost tempted to throw my 1566 up on marketplace and ask 20k for it.  

3 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Yeah, it doesnt have much in the way of complex electronics but dang, its 30 years old and has some hours on it.  If it didnt have it dine yet it's due for a lot if major work 

Price a new machine. Subtract $40k from the price tag. I'm guessing you could rebuild that old machine front to back and have plenty of money left over with that budget.

8 minutes ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

What gets me is in the 70s/80s/90's were people going nuts over 30 yr old stuff?  Probably could go pick it off the lot a dime a dozen.  

No, because the new stuff was an improvement...............Now the stuff is a slide sideways if not backwards with the emissions crap that sure isn't going to get any better into the future with the current regime.........

Archived