Snagged a free anvil....

NY1468

Damn NY, that looks pretty, mom always thinks I'm nutz when I call a tool or anything mechanical pretty, but your transfomation proves it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Top one is a 130lb Mouse Hole.  Hard to tell otherwise. I’m pretty sure the middle one is a Peter Wright. That is my guess on the last one also. Both are English makers. 

thanks, Todd. I took the pics this evening with a flash, didn't take time to do any cleanup or look for names.

10 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

thanks, Todd. I took the pics this evening with a flash, didn't take time to do any cleanup or look for names.

You’re welcome. Top one I’m sure of. I’m fairly confident on the second one. Third one is hard to say but that’s my guess. I could easily be wrong, just ask my wife ?

• Haha 1

Just now, Sledgehammer said:

You’re welcome. Top one I’m sure of. I’m fairly confident on the second one. Third one is hard to say but that’s my guess. I could easily be wrong, just ask my wife ?

Did she approve this message? Lol 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bitty said:

Did she approve this message? Lol 

LOL. She isn’t actually against it. It’s been long enough she just rolls her eyes and laughs at me. 

• Haha 2

Only anvil I saw advertised local is maybe a sample. Or jewlers anvil. Least that's what ad claimed.

Guys says 2 x 9 in and guesses 15 #

24 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

if I can remember by morning, I'll try some chalk and see what I can find.

4 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

if I can remember by morning, I'll try some chalk and see what I can find.

You don’t have to on my account.

With all the talk I looked up anvils common sale up here, this is a 44#  at princess auto (harbor frieght) close to for you guys, 160.00 kanadian.

download.jpeg

7 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

You don’t have to on my account.

you got my curiosity up...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Top one is a 130lb Mouse Hole.  Hard to tell otherwise. I’m pretty sure the middle one is a Peter Wright. That is my guess on the last one also. Both are English makers. 

we have a winner! Thanks, Todd. The last anvil was marked on the back side. Enough of the letters showed up, after I knew what I was looking for. I couldn't find any of "peter", just WR of WRIGHT.

1047997269_standanvil.thumb.jpg.6eea5890e984d6c59a829c5b38288826.jpg

11 minutes ago, ny bill o said:

we have a winner! Thanks, Todd. The last anvil was marked on the back side. Enough of the letters showed up, after I knew what I was looking for. I couldn't find any of "peter", just WR of WRIGHT.

1047997269_standanvil.thumb.jpg.6eea5890e984d6c59a829c5b38288826.jpg

Good deal!  148lbs by the markings. 

1 hour ago, lightninboy said:

On RFD-TV "Rural Heritage" the Singing Blacksmith Bryan Dale Headley had a good show about anvils. Why an anvil is shaped the way it is. How much rebound you want from an anvil. 

I know him. He lives 15-20 min from here. Good guy. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I know him. He lives 15-20 min from here. Good guy. 

Are you learning from him anything or are you a good singer already? 

Sorry I couldn't resist

Dug out one I brought home from mom's. Couldn't find much for markings but didn't have much time to try and clean it up tonight. Was thinking there might be another over there with part of the heel broke off.

20210311_182351.jpg

20210311_182052.jpg

20210311_181810.jpg

36 minutes ago, bitty said:

Are you learning from him anything or are you a good singer already? 

Sorry I couldn't resist

I better not quit my day job for singing. I sing in church because the Bible says to “make a joyful noise”. Mine is more noise than joyful but I’m confident God doesn’t care about that. I’ve never done any blacksmithing with him, just talked to him about things a few times. 

• Like 2

This is an anvil that I bought at a yard sale 40 years ago.  Think I paid 50 bucks for it.  The iron stand I made for it.

If I can find some chalk I will try to find some markings, looks like there might be some letters/numbers on one side.  If I find anything I will post 

DSCN6603.JPG

DSCN6604.JPG

DSCN6607.JPG

35 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Dug out one I brought home from mom's. Couldn't find much for markings but didn't have much time to try and clean it up tonight. Was thinking there might be another over there with part of the heel broke off.

20210311_182351.jpg

20210311_182052.jpg

20210311_181810.jpg

I’m going to guess based on shape that it’s an early Vulcan, Fisher cast anvil, or a champion cast. It’s hard to say. The Vulcan or Fisher would have markings somewhere denoting that once it’s cleaned up. There are many many anvils that aren’t marked or were made by large companies, unmarked for hardware store chains. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eric V Bielke said:

This is an anvil that I bought at a yard sale 40 years ago.  Think I paid 50 bucks for it.  The iron stand I made for it.

If I can find some chalk I will try to find some markings, looks like there might be some letters/numbers on one side.  If I find anything I will post 

I’m guessing a fairly early Peter Wright. It looks solid wrought from the pics vs some other makers that have a denoted line for a hard steel face or tool steel top.

The visible weld lines are more predominant in American anvils than the English makers.  Most people who blacksmith have a favorite style or maker for various reasons but about 98% of anvils get used to straighten or flatten a piece of metal occasionally and don’t see actual forge work. That is perfectly fine also. The line on the pic below shows the forge welded tool steel face onto the body. Many companies simply didn’t clean up their forgings a whole lot. Doesn’t make them any weaker than a cleanly machined one, just depends on the maker. It was cheaper to leave them rough and from the 1920’s to 1940’s as blacksmithing gave way to machine work, anvil sales and the bottom line for companies making them were both in a downward spiral. 

BFE9F413-A968-40A6-9049-7B117F1D69CC.jpeg

What good is an anvil WITHOUT a chestnut tree to place it under?

“Perhaps the most quoted line about a chestnut tree in all of American history is Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's “Under the spreading chestnut tree/The village smithy stands” from “The Village Blacksmith.” In 1842, when Longfellow penned his poem, the American chestnut (Castanea dentate) was in its prime.”