Snagged a free anvil....

NY1468

Was at a friends house today and saw an anvil in the corner. I have wanted one for a long time so asked him what he was doing with it and I ended up hauling it home. I do t think it’s anything special but it looks pretty good, not to beat up. 

0370E407-DFC6-4C62-9200-78DD2EAFD093.jpeg

D03FC4A2-E863-4F6A-8F51-C2F081F3C682.jpeg

81D06FF6-407B-48AA-B9EE-B04FF63CF5B6.jpeg

Even came with a grinder!

• Like 11

A little elbow grease and it will be looking fine.

Mike

• Like 1

I’d give at least triple what you paid and pay freight. It looks like a 150lb Hay Budden to me. Made in Brooklyn NY, USA.  Should be a serial number on the foot somewhere. I can tell you the year from that if you’d like. Clean the dirt off and the serial number should be located on one of the corners similar to my mark. Probably the left corner on the back if I remember correctly. (I kinda like this stuff if you can’t tell). 

637D16DC-9FFD-4051-AAA6-01DC1F7AA016.jpeg

Don’t paint it. If you want to clean it, you can wire wheel it and then follow with a rag and linseed oil. That leaves a good looking piece and the oil will protect from rust. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Great deal. I will try to look at ours in the shop . We don't hardly use it anymore

I’d even pay going rate listed below ? I had to look and was wrong above. “Front foot under horn” as in the second pic. Trenton anvils made in NJ had the serial # on the right side and Hay Budden on the left. 

178A797E-ABA3-4ADA-9841-7EA349073B2D.jpeg

E36B9D2A-591F-4BE5-836C-6393121A19D5.jpeg

2 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

That would sell quickly around here for 5 to 7 hundred . 

Is there gold inside of these anvils ? Still amazing to me what they bring

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Nice find! Wish I could find a nice one for that price. I have one dad had but I think it's smaller and in rough shape iirc.

• Like 1

looks pretty straight, other than the surface rust. I bought one a little smaller that had set under a shop workbench for too long, I left it out in the rain for several months, and it cleaned up nicely. Good score!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, bitty said:

They are actually made of unobtanium. ?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’d even pay going rate listed below ? I had to look and was wrong above. “Front foot under horn” as in the second pic. Trenton anvils made in NJ had the serial # on the right side and Hay Budden on the left. 

178A797E-ABA3-4ADA-9841-7EA349073B2D.jpeg

E36B9D2A-591F-4BE5-836C-6393121A19D5.jpeg

Since your up on these I've got one that came out of a old black smiths shop in the 60s with no markings?  I also have a peter wright and a hay budden 150s

Last 350# I seen on auction brought $2000 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, bitty said:

Anything black smith related has skyrocketed since the TV show Forged In Fire came along . 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, shot_gun_red said:

Since your up on these I've got one that came out of a old black smiths shop in the 60s with no markings?  I also have a peter wright and a hay budden 150s

Last 350# I seen on auction brought $2000 

There were several that had very few to no markings. You can only judge by shape on some of these. I have a book that I use for reference.  Feel free to post a pic or send me a PM with one and I will try to identify it if you want me to?  Peter Wright is probably the most common and an English maker. Good anvils that are slightly softer than a Hay Budden or Trenton since the Peter Wright are solid wrought vs the tool steel faces on the others. Lots of makers out there. A lot of them made anvils for hardware companies that bore the hardware co name instead of the maker which further complicates identification.
I have an anvil made by Trenton that says ACME on the side. It wasn’t dropped by Wylie Coyote. ACME was a moniker used by Sears and they were a catalog order item. A buddy of mine has a large Blackjack anvil made by Hay Budden and marketed through the Shapleigh hardware stores. It has the Keen Kutter emblem on it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

They are actually made of unobtanium. ?

I’ve been looking for an anvil for years that I could afford. They are usually loved more by others with deeper pockets than I. This one has been in their wood barn for awhile and was literally nailed to a piece of log which I’m sure it had been on there awhile also. His dad had picked it up a long time ago and they hadn’t used it. I’m sure I’ll pay for it some how as this is how our relationship goes, give and take both ways. I’ll clean it up and post a few more pictures. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

There were several that had very few to no markings. You can only judge by shape on some of these. I have a book that I use for reference.  Feel free to post a pic or send me a PM with one and I will try to identify it if you want me to?  Peter Wright is probably the most common and an English maker. Good anvils that are slightly softer than a Hay Budden or Trenton since the Peter Wright are solid wrought vs the tool steel faces on the others. Lots of makers out there. A lot of them made anvils for hardware companies that bore the hardware co name instead of the maker which further complicates identification.
I have an anvil made by Trenton that says ACME on the side. It wasn’t dropped by Wylie Coyote. ACME was a moniker used by Sears and they were a catalog order item. A buddy of mine has a large Blackjack anvil made by Hay Budden and marketed through the Shapleigh hardware stores. It has the Keen Kutter emblem on it. 

If I find any markings on mine can you identify any of them? Mine was from my Grandma who's Dad was a blacksmith. It is a very nice 200 pounder.

Just now, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

If I find any markings on mine can you identify any of them? Mine was from my Grandma who's Dad was a blacksmith. It is a very nice 200 pounder.

I will sure try.