IH Hy-Tran barrel

farmallmd

Just driving down the road today and saw a guy had a 35 gallon IH Hy-Tran barrel by his barn. Stopped and gave him $20 for it. What are these things worth? Can’t seem to find anything on the internet. Any info would be appreciated. Will upload some pictures when I get home. 

i think i have two in the shop, one is full of drain oil i'll look tomorrow.

17 minutes ago, farmallmd said:

Just driving down the road today and saw a guy had a 35 gallon IH Hy-Tran barrel by his barn. Stopped and gave him $20 for it. What are these things worth? Can’t seem to find anything on the internet. Any info would be appreciated. Will upload some pictures when I get home. 

I thought those were 30 gallon barrels 

Have seen 70s-80s vintage plastic buckets bringing around $25. Id say you did good on $20 with the barrel. Depending on what it is, I could see up to $50

Here's a few of my collection. Had an assortment of all different pieces, put together for our local show last summer. 

20200725_085743.jpg

• Like 3

Got one or two of each hytran and no.1 15-40 thirty gallon barrels if someone wants to give me 20 each there yours. I found the steal barrels liked to leak at the drum seal got plastic now and a lot easier to handle and no leaks although with upgrading the herd I’m using more oil and likely need to move to 55 gallon drums or 1000 litre totes.

John

I get the interest, but are we all here to try and collectively get information about the equipment itself as apposed to greedy sales people trying to make money???  If you bought the barrel as a memoriabiliy, that's great, but to ask us what it's worth????  Go look on craigslist or e bay. We are real international inthusiasts and not just vultures

Mark

• Like 1

9 hours ago, td9inidaho said:

I get the interest, but are we all here to try and collectively get information about the equipment itself as apposed to greedy sales people trying to make money???  If you bought the barrel as a memoriabiliy, that's great, but to ask us what it's worth????  Go look on craigslist or e bay. We are real international inthusiasts and not just vultures

Mark

I get that but I’m just trying to see if these things actually have value or if they’re just scrap metal. I can tell that you didn’t even read my post cause I said I can’t find anything of the internet about them and that’s why I asked here. If you got an issue with it keep your thoughts to yourself and off your keyboard

• Like 1

Everything has value to someone. One person thinks its trash, next person thinks they have gold. 

In my case, everyone has tractors and equipment. Not everyone has containers. I didn't grow up with the stuff so I think its cool. Yes a couple of my barrels are basically junk, but they still have cool graphics. Especially the one with the blow up top and the bottom is completely rusted away. 

20200407_201552.jpg

20200407_201046.jpg

20200410_170654.jpg

On 3/6/2021 at 4:24 PM, farmallmd said:

Most likely there is some good value in them since i sent 2 or 3 a year to scrap the last 15 years before i switched to bulk in around 2017.  ?

ive been looking for a metal oil barrel/can for my shop for a long time, want an older one - ih would be nice but doubt that will happen I have never seen one in real life. I think they are like 20 gallons or so?  most of those oil cans like u used to see in the old filling stations - I keep thinking some day i will find one, for now i just use an old galvanized one in case something hot gets in there i and slap a lid on it and choke it out - I saw a quaker state one at 100 bucks but no way i could justify that. I like patina 

There were 15 gallon, 30 gallon and 55 gallon steel drums.

These were returnable and there was a core charge on them.

Unsure if IH used the 15, but I would guess they did.

On 3/6/2021 at 3:24 PM, farmallmd said:

What are these things worth?

As will all "collector" pieces, they're worth what they are worth to the collector.  You paid $20, I wouldn't.  Oh, I think anything with an IH emblem is cool.  I've got part boxes, papers, old parts... all just because they have IH on them, but I wouldn't give $20 for a barrel just to look at.  I don't want to store it!! 

I'm with TD9.... kind of a ridiculous question.  If you feel good about the price then fan-freakin-tastic.  Be happy and show it off.  If you're worried you overpaid, you probably did.  If you're worried you underpaid, you are an odd duck.