My grandmother used to make wine and I'm pretty sure she didn't have all these fancy wine making kits that are used today for the homemade wine. Must have been pretty simple for the older generation.  

• Like 1

I tried many years ago but it was the worst tasting concoction I have ever tasted. And I followed the directions completely. We have a neighbor that makes some every year and it turns out pretty good. 

The biggest thing I know is keep the oxygen out during fermentation. Mom keep turning hers to vinegar  lol.  

Ps. They make it in jails from there June boxes.  Cant be hard lol 

Edited by dannyredfan
  • Like 1

Dad to one of my high school buddies made some every year . Never saw the operation but it had something to do with balloons over the bottles. We thought it was good when the bottles got snuck out but then we would have drank pretty near anything then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We make cider, the process is similar, the biggest thing with beer/wine/cider is sanitization, you have a product that is so entirely perfect for wild yeasts to get started with the slightest  amount of contamination. 

The balloons keep oxygen out while letting the gasses work.   Pretty simple really 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, littlered166 said:

any of you making homemade wine. looking for EASY recipes (small scale). Thanks for all comments. Pembroke

110# sugar 10# fruit will yield. Enough for 50 gallon. Approximately 

Boil the juice to sterilize it, then add yeast, sugar, and a slice of potato or a couple raisins for starch, keep out the oxygen, and wait.

2 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

the biggest thing with beer/wine/cider is sanitization,

Definitely.  I've made a lot of beer.  Not tried wine but seen one attempt.

One term a bloke had his credit card restricted.  Entertainment enhancement was grape juice concentrate plus via a big garbage can in his room.

Definitely qualified for the warning I've since heard on new homebrewers - "Stay well clear of the first two batches and be very sceptical of the third"

• Haha 4

I'm a beer guy, but the same prcess works for both. This was my first beer brewing setup. Water jugs from Walmart. Hoses go to a glass of water to keep air out and let the Co2 off gass. I've gone a long ways since then. Same setup will work for wine. You can just google wine recipe's. There are tons on line. If it's got sugar in it, it will ferment. Use wine yeast. Bread yeast will work, but not so well. It will die off before the wine is really done. Youtube is your friend. You can learn all you need to know.

First.JPG

• Like 1

I grew up in an Irish/Italian area. Some of my Italian friends made wine. I sampled it back then but my palate was not ready for wine at that young age. I never got to see the process but I remember some small oak barrels in the cellar. I'm sure my buddy must have told me how long they aged it but after tasting it I didn't care,, then.

My how our taste changes. My first loved wines were the sweet Rieslings, moving on from there.

What kind of grapes do you grow or will you purchase them?

When I was in elementary school an old guy several farms over taught me how to make muscadine wine. I can't remember all the details, but it was mostly just sugaring and crushed grape juice. I don't remember boiling it, but we could have. I know we used corks lightly resting in the top of the bottles to keep the oxygen now and put aluminum foil over that to keep the fruit flies out. I think it tasted half decent but that was a long time ago and I was young ?.

going to give it a try this year

we have a healthy patch of Black Berries [hope this isn't raceist]

usually move several hundred pounds to different jamb producers.

at the end of the season there are left overs Sooooooo.:rolleyes:

Mike

I too was thinking about blackberries for the wine.  Not sure after looking at all the procedures whether I will or not. And then you should wait, some say a year, before drinking the home brew. May be easier to go buy a bottle or two. Thanks for all the replies. Pembroke

I'm making a batch of mead / honey wine, 4lbs of honey to 1 gallon, ad ec 1118 lavlin yeast with yeast nutrient to get 18 percent alcohol,  mix put an airlock cap on and wait 2 to 4 weeks , after bubbling stops you cyphin over to another container and ferment again with added fruit or anything else you want, I put cinnamon in and stuff like apples 

20210302_145242.jpg

20210302_113224.jpg

20210302_133028.jpg

My wife makes wine, mead, etc.

It's not rocket science. It can happen on its own with naturally occurring yeast but it's better to add some store bought yeast, at least when starting.

To start out,  make some grandma wine. Buy some Welch's grape juice, or similar. Add yeast and use some type of airlock and watch it go. When it stops bubbling start drinking.

My wife mostly ferments in glass one gallon wine bottles with an airlock like rusty.

Thx-Ace 

I do a recipe similar to what ACEM said. 2 Welches or whoevers frozen concentrate, 2 cups sugar, yeast packet and six of the frozen concentrate containers of water in a glass gallon jug. put a big balloon on the top and watch it go to working. May blow the balloon off a time or two so just put it back on. after a couple Weeks it will slow down working and is drinkable at that point with some alcohol content. 4 to 6 weeks its better. once it has quite working then You can put it in it's permanent containers. I don't like a dry wine so this with the extra sugar takes the dryness out of it. Half the fun is experimenting. Use other fruit besides grape or blend of fruit. The real wine making talent of the Family died with My Dad. He made a raisin wine that everyone loved. I've tried but I didn't learn His secret.