night vision rifle scopes

We have a coyote problem and i am going to buy some type of night scope. My nephew has a 6 X fixed power IR scope and i am 2 for 2 with it but i would like to step up to a variable power scope and have thought about the thermals, but i have not had a chance to try one. Anyone have experience with either or both ,pros,cons any certain brands that are better. I have been considering an ATN scope but they look fairly complex,a lot of buttons to try to find in the dark.

I have an ATN 4K PRO 5-20. You would probably want to upgrade the IR for coyote ranges. Plenty of YouTube videos on it. I'm using it on a high powered precharged air rifle, but I think they are rated up to .50 BMG. The ballistics software is great for the loopy trajectory of an air rifle, but you may not need that for a high powered rifle. The mounted rangefinder automatically adjusts the cross hairs for the range and angle of the shot.

Check with the local game warden to make sure those scopes are legal in your state?

I have watched the You Tube videos and night hunting looks like a blast.

I asked our local game warden if legal to use and he said, "Try it and find out?"

I asked him again and I never got a firm answer.  What an A hole.

South Dakota wants more Pheasants but they restrict Coyote hunting almost to the point of being protected.

G,F&P are so afraid someone will shoot a deer illegally at night.

That's fine, make the law so you shoot a deer at night you lose your hunting privileges for 10 years.

But the G,F&P around here don't work at night to catch anyone.

The last time I called the G,F&P, he couldn't come out, he was baby sitting.

The Sheriff had to do his job.

Not supposed to discharge a firearm after sunset or before sunrise but unless you have a neighbor turn you in  your ok. 

In Idaho, you can shoot at any hour, some things are restricted to daylight, some can be hunted with a spotlight or enhanced scope. The discharge of a firearm is only restricted for certain game, with certain hours. Other than that, shoot away!

13 minutes ago, cobfly said:

Other than that, shoot away!

Sounds like the gang wannabe sh*tratz in Kanada and then the moron politicos devise ways to take the guns away from licensed owners. 

I have the 4k atn on one of my ar15s and it works great but it is a little heavy and I need someone to teach me how to operate all the things it can do, I've had it over a year amd only know how to turn it to night vision.

You might consider something like this, i tried one, it is a bit cumbersome but downright affordable compared to an actual IR scope. I was asking about this very subject a year or so ago. I was impressed with the performance once i got all the pieces, I never did buy one, but I would. 
https://www.nighthunter.com.au/nitesite-viper-night-vision-attachment

The more you pay, the more you can play. I have several friends with everything from night vision to thermal scopes. All are expensive. I don’t know the brands off hand, all I know is there is no way you would want to try and hide from one of them in the dark.  

PM IHrunner and get his input. I have a 90's military grade one but it spent its life on a .308 ar10 so its quirky. I think the newest ATN's have a good reputation.

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

The more you pay, the more you can play.

Don't look through anything you cannot afford. You will not be happy with the scope you can. 

The boys really like Pulsar around here. 

I cannot play in that game, am looking at ATN, thermal. 

Neighbor up North has a show called "Night Train". It is on the Sportsman Channel I think. Can also google it. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure what you mean about IR if you’re asking about night vision or thermal imaging. 
 Anyway if you’re talking cheap, the digital Sightmark Wraith 2-16x28 for around $500 is hard to beat. 
 I’m waiting on one that’s on back order. I first got the 4x32-50 because I didn’t pay enough attention to the specs to notice that the field of view on the 50 is WAY to narrow for my uses. The 28 has about twice the field of view, better for shooting at running hogs as after the first shot(or slight noise) they’re running.

I have an older Sightmark Photon 4.6-42 that I have piled up hogs with for 4-5 years. While it does have its limitations, it works well.

if you’re asking about thermal imaging or conventional night vision you’ll have to spend 3k plus for something good, price wise there’s not much really usable and worthwhile between the $500 Sightmarks and the 3k plus stuff.

if you have the 3k+, thermal imaging is the way to go for hunting. There’s lots of YouTube videos covering this stuff, when you get into deciding which unit the choices can be overwhelming.

In the pics below starting from bottom, the first one was standing  relatively still (as far hogs go anyway) about 70 yards, dropped her in her tracks, the second was about hundred yards away in 5th gear, the  third was about 130 yards away in overdrive.

E70DF40C-1341-4DC3-BF5F-324A6DF06B85.jpeg

1878A05C-31C3-49BE-A8A3-F59FBF6F6067.jpeg

0A4C2702-0B20-405C-B859-5FFD9F975CA8.jpeg