Older Round baler.............Favorites?

I don't understand the negative comments on Vermeer.  I've had two different Vermeer J's for a total of several years more than I had a 535 JD.  Have had less trouble with the two Vermeers put together than one JD and the two Vermeers together cost less than the JD.  I only bought the second Vermeer because I rolled the first one.  For one whole season the 535 would start tying on it's own with only half a bale, mechanics from three different dealerships couldn't fix it but eventually it quit.  For corn stalks a Vermeer J will pickup a lot bigger windrow going faster than the 535.  I've had nothing but routine maintenance on the Js, they are a good simple baler that will make a big tight bale just as good as the newer balers.  And Vermeers farmer dealers are a lot more user friendly than the others.  I called my dealer at 8 o'clock one night to get a belt spliced.  His wife answered and she said come on down if worse comes to worse I can splice a belt.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You like to work on stuff ...... get a vermeer!

Yea I  understand and yes lotsa advantages to net wrap,if I was buying new it would be net wrap.But when my baler goes and needs replaced  background feeders come in and no more making hay. But l  han

I’ve been using a NH 658 twine auto tie for a couple years now doing  about 100 bales a year.  Pretty straightforward mechanical machine, no electronics except a switch and a buzzer.   Previous owner

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

I am not going to at the moment, but in the future I may..............Biggest issue I have with a NH Chain roller is all I see are 540(Heck, was 1000 even an option?) and that sure would put the clamps on what I could run it on, and net on them isn't exactly common either.  

Sorry, I was thinking belt baler.  I would find a decent BR series.  Those can be had in 540 or 1000.

I know everyone’s experience varies, but I have used 2 Vermeer balers, a super J and a K. Both might have had issues, but I didn’t like either. Both seemed to have a tendency to twist belts, and you had to deflate/reinflate airbags every time that happened. Seems like people either love or hate Vermeer, very little middle ground.

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

The 6 series didn’t go over well here either.  However, the 7 series completely did a 180 and put JD over the top.  After they had been out a year, my local JD dealer had over 15 NH balers sitting on their lot.  Some were older series but a lot of them were BR series. 

There were quite a few 567s around here in their day . . . and they faded away surprisingly fast.  I think within 2-3 years of the 568 coming out the 567s were pretty much gone.  I don’t think the 567s held up all so well in a predominately cornstalk diet.  I always wondered why one of the guys I knew that ran Deeres said they carried bulk rolls of chain and a breaker in the tractor  with them until a few years ago when I found out that the biggest drive chains on the 567 was # 60.  That’s not heavy enough for extra load that cornstalks generate.  NH had # 80 for a long time already.  I looked at a hard working 569 once and the plates on the starter roll drive chain were blued from heat.  

There is a JD 535 here, good balers.  It don't owe a thing, if it never makes another bale.

We bought a Krone KR151 last year.  Cheap, simple, really like it so far.  If you can get it in the baler, it will bale it, I don't care what it is!  We also have a dealer close that keeps parts, that's a big deal.

2 hours ago, Gearclash said:

There were quite a few 567s around here in their day . . . and they faded away surprisingly fast.  I think within 2-3 years of the 568 coming out the 567s were pretty much gone.  I don’t think the 567s held up all so well in a predominately cornstalk diet.  I always wondered why one of the guys I knew that ran Deeres said they carried bulk rolls of chain and a breaker in the tractor  with them until a few years ago when I found out that the biggest drive chains on the 567 was # 60.  That’s not heavy enough for extra load that cornstalks generate.  NH had # 80 for a long time already.  I looked at a hard working 569 once and the plates on the starter roll drive chain were blued from heat.  

We don't do cornstalks so I can't comment on that.  But we've had a baler from every series from the 7s up to the current Ms and I can't say the durability has been different between any of them.  What made the 7s so popular upon introduction was their ability to bale ground up rotary straw.  I don't think its a coincidence the popularity of the 7 series coincided with JD's intro of their first rotary combines.  

• Like 1

I made a lot of bales with a 435 Deere baler, that baler made me look good. It was very easy to make good bales with that baler. As stated earlier they have a very simple monitor and even better you can still run without it in a pinch. The dual twine arms speed up the tying process, I was never around one with net wrap. If I was in the market for a round baler for limited use that is one I would be looking for

5 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

I am not going to at the moment, but in the future I may..............Biggest issue I have with a NH Chain roller is all I see are 540(Heck, was 1000 even an option?) and that sure would put the clamps on what I could run it on, and net on them isn't exactly common either.  

1000 rpm was available on NH chain balers, i had 4 that way. Two 855s and two 852s. Don't recall if my last 850 was 1000 rpm or not

20 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

1000 rpm was available on NH chain balers, i had 4 that way. Two 855s and two 852s. Don't recall if my last 850 was 1000 rpm or not

I have yet to find one that way............maybe you had 95% of the 1000 shaft production:lol:  Heard the net on them though didn't work the best either?  Honestly for what I want to do, they would be the best choice, but the lack of net, and not finding one with a 1000 is making me look elsewhere.  Anyone know what was different on them on the 540 vs 1000?  I did a quick search on messicks and couldn't find any differences on the driveline...........?????

3 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

What made the 7s so popular upon introduction was their ability to bale ground up rotary straw.

Hmm.  I don’t know that Deere had a corner on that.  I know from experience that a NH BR has no trouble with rotary wheat straw.  The first time I baled it took a bit of extra attention as the weather had delayed harvest until the straw was rather brittle and the JD rotary that threshed it chewed the straw up till it looked like it had been through a tub grinder.  

2 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Honestly for what I want to do, they would be the best choice, but the lack of net, and not finding one with a 1000 is making me look elsewhere.  Anyone know what was different on them on the 540 vs 1000?  I did a quick search on messicks and couldn't find any differences on the driveline...........?????

think it is just the gearing in the input box

why 1000?  is it like 6v-12v?

5130 had plenty of power until new one in '15, then baler + bale weight + nothing level (4wd to staging area) we had to go bigger /stop, but still 540

and 3/4 throttle  as 2x hp could break something

6 hours ago, mmi said:

think it is just the gearing in the input box

why 1000?  is it like 6v-12v?

5130 had plenty of power until new one in '15, then baler + bale weight + nothing level (4wd to staging area) we had to go bigger /stop, but still 540

and 3/4 throttle  as 2x hp could break something

I know everyone wants net wrap but is it a necessity in your  application is my question. Net wrap will make a bad bale look better, but  I had custom baling dome when mine broke down and the net was the only thing that held the bale  together because it was so spongy. I sell all my hay ,some is was hauled 100's of miles,it is twine and they came back for many more.I know buyers prefer it mainly for looks I  think. I guess it sheds more rain if stored outside but I don't know.I sell all mine and outside bales are hard to sell in a dry year, impossible in a normal year .You might as well left it in the field even if very little gets spoiled.I have a small 4×4 twine and I just wrap many times the amount then  factory set and it's works fine and twine is cheap.My first  was a IH 241 antique that I bought almost new,it baled untold amount 5x6's.All hay was stored outside and fed to brood cows. It made a huge okay bale but was temperamental. I sold none,but stored outside the long-term grass hay built a thatch and shed water.I maybe lost a couple of inches. But keep a open mind a lot depends  on the operator and baler maintenance. 

I thought on some of the deere stuff you could unbolt gear box and reverse or flip it and put 1000 shaft on it and go?  No idea on others.

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

I know everyone wants net wrap but is it a necessity in your  application is my question. Net wrap will make a bad bale look better, but  I had custom baling dome when mine broke down and the net was the only thing that held the bale  together because it was so spongy. I sell all my hay ,some is was hauled 100's of miles,it is twine and they came back for many more.I know buyers prefer it mainly for looks I  think. I guess it sheds more rain if stored outside but I don't know.I sell all mine and outside bales are hard to sell in a dry year, impossible in a normal year .You might as well left it in the field even if very little gets spoiled.I have a small 4×4 twine and I just wrap many times the amount then  factory set and it's works fine and twine is cheap.My first  was a IH 241 antique that I bought almost new,it baled untold amount 5x6's.All hay was stored outside and fed to brood cows. It made a huge okay bale but was temperamental. I sold none,but stored outside the long-term grass hay built a thatch and shed water.I maybe lost a couple of inches. But keep a open mind a lot depends  on the operator and baler maintenance. 

Nothing wrong with using twine. Cheaper than over a dollar per bale cost for netwrap. Netwrap is so much faster than waiting for twine going on around the bale. Around (here)a netwrap bale will more than pay for the netwrap if selling at auction, or privately. Used twine only balers in the 10 years old and newer bracket, take a huge hit in resale value over this way. Market wants a baler with the netwrap availability. There's just alot of smaller producers around Ohio with limited shed space that just can't use twine bales because of the different reasons of what happens to them outside. People pay good money for good stuff, and they want to keep it that way. I can't imagine trying to sell stored twine rounds, let alone ones that set outside. Be more of a desperation type market making them sought after around this area.

4 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I thought on some of the deere stuff you could unbolt gear box and reverse or flip it and put 1000 shaft on it and go?  No idea on others.

Yes, true for green ones...............Would like to know how NH did, because in the parts breakdown it doesn't appear the box can be flipped.  

I don't NEED net, but after buying some net wrapped bales, it sure is nice.  

My Uncles bought a Deere (435?  2nd largest model of the series) in the early 90s.  Added net wrap option.  It's done very well for them.  They still have and use it.

This is why I’m not a real big fan of using twine, beside the extra time it takes during baling. Seems twine always turns into a bigger mess over time, especially if the bales are handled multiple time. 

1174B1CE-7DEA-45FD-8CBA-AD30D2730A7A.jpeg

20 hours ago, DaveinSD said:

I know everyone’s experience varies, but I have used 2 Vermeer balers, a super J and a K. Both might have had issues, but I didn’t like either. Both seemed to have a tendency to twist belts, and you had to deflate/reinflate airbags every time that happened. Seems like people either love or hate Vermeer, very little middle ground.

I've only had a twisted belt maybe half a dozen times in 10-15 years, I never deflated the bags, once or twice I took the splice, but not a big problem for me.

7 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Our old Hesston's are like that. I assumed our 851 NH is the same but I honestly never looked. Got dual pto on all thr baling tractors so never had to look into it

7 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Nothing wrong with using twine. Cheaper than over a dollar per bale cost for netwrap. Netwrap is so much faster than waiting for twine going on around the bale. Around (here)a netwrap bale will more than pay for the netwrap if selling at auction, or privately. Used twine only balers in the 10 years old and newer bracket, take a huge hit in resale value over this way. Market wants a baler with the netwrap availability. There's just alot of smaller producers around Ohio with limited shed space that just can't use twine bales because of the different reasons of what happens to them outside. People pay good money for good stuff, and they want to keep it that way. I can't imagine trying to sell stored twine rounds, let alone ones that set outside. Be more of a desperation type market making them sought after around this area.

Yea I  understand and yes lotsa advantages to net wrap,if I was buying new it would be net wrap.But when my baler goes and needs replaced  background feeders come in and no more making hay. But l  handle my bales 3 times and have no problems. Once in a awhile one will get  nasty but I have never lost a sale one because of twine. I also am the only one who bales,loads in field,unloads and stacks in barn and loads them back out to trucks. I know if you have hired help or are in a hurry net  wrap is the way to go.I just wanted to don't discount twine if it's a good deal and you can make it work. Like I said spongy bales I hate,can't load right, store right or anything. Net wrap is great just more expensive  but more forgiving too.

• Like 2

I don't mind twine...............But it is a pain to get off before we grind them.  Net is easier, make a slice across it and pull it off and it all comes off.  Also looking at the time savings wrapping twine, not that its a big deal, but over time it all adds up.  And since we will be moving them between places with a hay bed on a pickup, I won't have to worry about twine dragging and all that fun.  

I am not opposed to a smaller size baler, those are actually prefered where I am, I am just thinking about for my uses that is less hay to move if the bales are bigger.  

If my brother would have got busy earlier in life and my nephews were alittle older, we'd be baling idiot bricks:lol:

• Haha 1
37 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I don't mind twine...............But it is a pain to get off before we grind them.  Net is easier, make a slice across it and pull it off and it all comes off.  Also looking at the time savings wrapping twine, not that its a big deal, but over time it all adds up.  And since we will be moving them between places with a hay bed on a pickup, I won't have to worry about twine dragging and all that fun.  

I am not opposed to a smaller size baler, those are actually prefered where I am, I am just thinking about for my uses that is less hay to move if the bales are bigger.  

If my brother would have got busy earlier in life and my nephews were alittle older, we'd be baling idiot bricks:lol:

Yes the small bales are  great for selling,in fact 90% of the people I deal with want the 4x4s.Easy to handle by hand or compact tractor.They actually will pay the same or more for 4x4s and pass on 4x5s.But when I was feeding brood cows and all hay went to them 5×6 and 1500lbs or more of DRY hay was great.You would have at 3 of the of the 4x4s in one bale.So much less gathering them up.

2 hours ago, Jacka said:

Yea I  understand and yes lotsa advantages to net wrap,if I was buying new it would be net wrap.But when my baler goes and needs replaced  background feeders come in and no more making hay. But l  handle my bales 3 times and have no problems. Once in a awhile one will get  nasty but I have never lost a sale one because of twine. I also am the only one who bales,loads in field,unloads and stacks in barn and loads them back out to trucks. I know if you have hired help or are in a hurry net  wrap is the way to go.I just wanted to don't discount twine if it's a good deal and you can make it work. Like I said spongy bales I hate,can't load right, store right or anything. Net wrap is great just more expensive  but more forgiving too.

The other thing that bothers me is how much more temperamental twine can be tying sometimes.  Our 7060 has both and stocked it with string to tie "crap" with or use it when baling field ends or somewhere theres questionable hay to differentiate it.    Never could get the twine to work right.  Between the needle mechanism stalling the actuator sometimes (probably tight from lack of use), having to mess around feeding hay into grab both strings, waiting forever for the cycle, failure to cut, and lastly baling corn fodder and having the strings get grabbed somehow n sucked in it doesnt get used anymore.  Of course also the easier to get apart and store.  

Honestly wish we could find a buyer for rounds, but nobody wants them unless it's really cheap.  Bit of a niche market for super high quality wrapped hay for deer and a few small dairy guys but that's about it.