Sledgehammer goes to town

Sledgehammer

So I was off work today. Had a dentist appt at 10 to get a small filling. I figured since I would already be uncomfortable with that I may as well make the hour trip to a big town because I needed some nicer clothes for an upcoming funeral. I go to a department store attached to a mall. I wander around until I find the men’s dept and a worker asks if I am finding things alright. I respond with “maybe” and tell her what I’m looking for. Aside from getting married I haven’t been shopping for nice clothes in 10-15 years. I try pants on and they fit ☑️  I then tell the worker I would like to find a shirt to go with these pants. She says, that could be a problem. We looked around as the shelves were fairly bare. I have trouble finding a shirt with long enough sleeves (knuckle dragger I guess) anyway and she didn’t have much to work with.  Finally we find one and she tells me I cannot try it on... I say, “are you serious?”  She says, because of Covid we cannot let you try on shirts. She then says she is not allowed to measure me for a shirt either and tells me I am supposed to be wearing a mask. I ask her nicely “if I put a mask on will you measure me for a shirt?”  she says no, she cannot measure me with or without a mask (so I didn’t put one on). I said that was fine. She then opened the package and told me to go try the shirt on to which I thanked her. What is this world coming to?  She was nice, as was I but really?  These places are throwing away sales.  In the end after going to three department stores I found shirt/tie/pants and left with a little less hope for mankind. So many faceless drones bumping around in a mall with no purpose and seemingly no destination. After a couple more stops for a supply of jeans and a new pair of boots, I decided that I will just go back to the country under my rock and hopefully not need dress clothes for another 10-15 years. By that time, there probably won’t be anything to buy but bedazzled blue jeans, and skinny pants so I will be forced to quit wearing pants altogether.  Boots are another story I won’t bore you with. Let’s just say, I’m not into square toed cowboy boots bro....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, Sledgehammer said:

Let’s just say, I’m not into square toed cowboy boots bro....

I hate that style of cowboy boots too. Not a pair in my collection and trust me, i have a collection. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I'm with you on the square  toes brother. Just bought some new boots as well square toes felt weird. Ended up with traditional round toe ariats. No other brands in stock my size.  I usually get red wings. We will see how these hold up

You should go to the DMV here to renew your liscense..................Me and my wife were nearly asked to leave.  I won't say anymore or it will be poofed...........

Just now, Reichow7120 said:

I hate that style of cowboy boots too. Not a pair in my collection and trust me, i have a collection. 

I wear a 13. That limits the selection to begin with. Went into boot barn. I have ordered lace up work boots from them online with good luck in the past after knowing exactly what I wanted.  There was one pair out of maybe 20 that wasn’t square or a roach killer. I actually liked that pair. American made  Double H brand. I don’t wear slip on boots for work, only going places like church or out (when you could still do that) My old ones are between 10 and 15 years old and starting to show their age. A little mink oil on these and they should be good for several miles. 

6ABBA012-B97F-42E6-812C-DB69AC635912.jpeg

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Let’s just say, I’m not into square toed cowboy boots bro....

8 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

8 minutes ago, Mr. Brookville said:

I'm with you on the square  toes brother.

I thought I was the only one left not wearing square toe cowboy boots. Turns out I was wrong. DOUBLE H 1592's for me.

3 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I wear a 13. That limits the selection to begin with. Went into boot barn. I have ordered lace up work boots from them online with good luck in the past after knowing exactly what I wanted.  There was one pair out of maybe 20 that wasn’t square or a roach killer. I actually liked that pair. American made  Double H brand. I don’t wear slip on boots for work, only going places like church or out (when you could still do that) My old ones are between 10 and 15 years old and starting to show their age. A little mink oil on these and they should be good for several miles. 

6ABBA012-B97F-42E6-812C-DB69AC635912.jpeg

Those appear to be the non steel toe version of the ones I wear. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Brookville said:

I'm with you on the square  toes brother. Just bought some new boots as well square toes felt weird. Ended up with traditional round toe ariats. No other brands in stock my size.  I usually get red wings. We will see how these hold up

I’m not stylish and don’t care to be. I tried on a pair or two and felt like I was wearing flippers. The Ariats were all China made that I saw and not comfortable to me (all square toe). I was impressed that these said USA on them. Made by union workers according to the tag. 

2 minutes ago, WishIhada1466 said:

Those appear to be the non steel toe version of the ones I wear. 

No steel toes on these. Says model is 1552 on the tag. Mink oil darkened them a little which I like. 

I looked for Mink Oil awhile back and it is gone...as in company bought out or done

4 minutes ago, hardtail said:

I looked for Mink Oil awhile back and it is gone...as in company bought out or done

This is Fiebing brand. I bought some not too long ago at a Rural King farm store.  I like the liquid on new leather personally but the paste isn’t too bad either. 
https://fiebing.com/product/mink-oil-liquid/

Zappos.com if they don't have the boots you are looking for then you will probably never find them.

15 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

No steel toes on these. Says model is 1552 on the tag. Mink oil darkened them a little which I like. 

Yep that's them. I've been wearing the 1592's daily for 9 years now. Worn out several pairs but I love them. This is the only place I can go to and they have them in stock. Otherwise I have to order them. https://kleinboot.com

Seems every Double H dealer has the 1552's in stock. I've got a week on this pair of 1592's.

20210304_213534.thumb.jpg.66945421cd2b5b2a0ebcd79b7dc8632c.jpg

Double H quit making my 2555’s , been wearing them since high school. I’ve been dealing with a shoe store in St. Louis that sells nothing but Made in the USA. I haven’t been to the store in several years, as the owner would call annually to sell me a pair of boots. She called last year and said that Double H was discontinuing the 2555, so I bought 3 pairs. Hopefully the store is still open when I need to find a new boot.

33 minutes ago, WishIhada1466 said:

Yep that's them. I've been wearing the 1592's daily for 9 years now. Worn out several pairs but I love them. This is the only place I can go to and they have them in stock. Otherwise I have to order them. https://kleinboot.com

Seems every Double H dealer has the 1552's in stock. I've got a week on this pair of 1592's.

20210304_213534.thumb.jpg.66945421cd2b5b2a0ebcd79b7dc8632c.jpg

Wore those double h  boots for 40 years till I blew my back out and went to a cushion sole cowboy boot . 1st time in my life I've got a nice pair of double h that I don't have to go wire brush the mud a oil off to go to a funeral. But those hard soles are hard on my ass now days. Those square toe boots remind me of old dingo boots that we made fun of as a kid!

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

So I was off work today. Had a dentist appt at 10 to get a small filling. I figured since I would already be uncomfortable with that I may as well make the hour trip to a big town because I needed some nicer clothes for an upcoming funeral. I go to a department store attached to a mall. I wander around until I find the men’s dept and a worker asks if I am finding things alright. I respond with “maybe” and tell her what I’m looking for. Aside from getting married I haven’t been shopping for nice clothes in 10-15 years. I try pants on and they fit ☑️  I then tell the worker I would like to find a shirt to go with these pants. She says, that could be a problem. We looked around as the shelves were fairly bare. I have trouble finding a shirt with long enough sleeves (knuckle dragger I guess) anyway and she didn’t have much to work with.  Finally we find one and she tells me I cannot try it on... I say, “are you serious?”  She says, because of Covid we cannot let you try on shirts. She then says she is not allowed to measure me for a shirt either and tells me I am supposed to be wearing a mask. I ask her nicely “if I put a mask on will you measure me for a shirt?”  she says no, she cannot measure me with or without a mask (so I didn’t put one on). I said that was fine. She then opened the package and told me to go try the shirt on to which I thanked her. What is this world coming to?  She was nice, as was I but really?  These places are throwing away sales.  In the end after going to three department stores I found shirt/tie/pants and left with a little less hope for mankind. So many faceless drones bumping around in a mall with no purpose and seemingly no destination. After a couple more stops for a supply of jeans and a new pair of boots, I decided that I will just go back to the country under my rock and hopefully not need dress clothes for another 10-15 years. By that time, there probably won’t be anything to buy but bedazzled blue jeans, and skinny pants so I will be forced to quit wearing pants altogether.  Boots are another story I won’t bore you with. Let’s just say, I’m not into square toed cowboy boots bro....

Don't overlook a kilt

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Sledgehammer said:

Had a similar experience recently but the store had to order in the pants in my size.

Because we have a new dog at home that more than likely would torn the packaging to pieces and ruin the new pants if we had them delivered there - I asked them to ship the pants to the store.

I was told that corporate policy no longer allows it because they don't want people coming into the store because of covid.

Chew on that one for a minute....

• Haha 1

I’ve tried the square toe boots in a pinch, and I’m just not a fan. Fortunately I found a small locally owed store that still carries “real” cowboy boots.

2 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Don't overlook a kilt

I’m sure I wouldn’t get overlooked if I wore one either.  Thanks for your concern......I think.....?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’m sure I wouldn’t get overlooked if I wore one either.  Thanks for your concern......I think.....?

....carefull, Todd......you don't want to wear a kilt.....you do....and you will be easing into "donkey wan.... ahh...wonker'' territory.

Tongues will wag, Todd..

Mike

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ian Beale said:

Don't overlook a kilt

At the risk - - 

Scene is UK and nephew has been talking to uncle about joining the army

Uncle's advice was

"Join a Highland regiment my boy.  The kilt is an unrivalled weapon for fornication and diarrhoea" 

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

These places are throwing away sales.

But the shelves were empty?

38 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

But the shelves were empty?

Very sparse. When I bought a shirt was a name brand and they were advertising buy one get one free. I don’t think I could have found another one with sleeves long enough to fit me. Shelves weren’t kept up. One store looked like they had dumped piles of shirts (folded dress shirts) onto the table-like racks. I haven’t been in there since the virus hit for anything but it looked more like a scene after a burglary in that place than a department store. Does your “general store” have dress shirts? Even with a mean hostess it sounds more appealing...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Does your “general store” have dress shirts? Even with a mean hostess it sounds more appealing...

Not really dress shirts but lots of clothes, we have a place here, McNeill and Ready, they are my go to, i like you have sleeve issues,  they have great selection and their prices are reasonable, everything I have bought actually fits and they never let me leave looking like a  goon.  Couple of brothers own the place, one is more grey than the other but at one point they could only be identified by the watch color.. identical twins.