Farmall M rear main seal question

bankshotone

I am replacing the clutch in my M and decided to replace the rear main seal and gaskets while I'm at it. My seal retainer is cast iron which is different from the aluminum ones I'm used to, after extensive cleaning I installed the new felt seals but the problem I am encountering is that the ends are sticking out or the retainer by 3/8" or so, I have tried to reinstall then to get them in further but no luck. What do I do about this? is there a trick or do I trim the ends or??? 

I have been trying to upload a picture for the last 3 hours but not having any luck.

Thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, bankshotone said:

I am replacing the clutch in my M and decided to replace the rear main seal and gaskets while I'm at it. My seal retainer is cast iron which is different from the aluminum ones I'm used to, after extensive cleaning I installed the new felt seals but the problem I am encountering is that the ends are sticking out or the retainer by 3/8" or so, I have tried to reinstall then to get them in further but no luck. What do I do about this? is there a trick or do I trim the ends or??? 

I have been trying to upload a picture for the last 3 hours but not having any luck.

Thanks for your input!

Work as much of the seal as you can into the grooves and then cut off the excess leaving just a small amount above the block and cap 

and to add, start in the middle of the retainer groove and work it in good and tight. have it oiled good before install.

Its been a while but I thought it was supposed to do that and relied on the excess to squish tight.