Jump to content

HALF CENTURY OF PROGRESS??


cwinn
 Share

Recommended Posts

#1 Do you think they will have it?

#2 Will you have to wear a mask ?

#3 Are rooms a pain to get ??

Thanks .

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1.  Planning is continuing for the show.

2.  Most likely.

3.  Make your reservations now.  You can always cancel.  In past years I have known people with motel reservations over an hour away.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There is a LOT to see. If you can get around pretty good or have a cart you can see a lot of it in a day. You will not have much time to talk, shop or watch the parade. If you want to see as much as possible, you will certainly need to keep moving but it is doable and definitely worth it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, New Englander said:

I'd love to see it. Is it worth it to just spend a day?

Yes!  I've been there twice and the Half Century of Progress is definitely worth the trip.  The ability to see, hear, and smell the vintage machinery working is a real treat.  It is the best show of its kind that I have ever attended.  However, I still have the Rollag, MN show and the Great Dorset Steam Show on my list to see yet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hard to see in a day on foot unless you run marathons. We made that mistake the first time we went in 2013.  It has gotten exponentially larger since then.   As said above, very few other places you will ever see that much equipment working.  I normally stay on site when I go. One year I slept in the truck and the next time a buddy took a camper up there (no hookups) LOTS of every color and vintage. Just don’t be this guy....?. It’s fun to watch everyone with their pumps cranked to the moon trying to pull too many bottoms in hard plowing ground. Far and away my favorite working show to attend. 
1) I sure hope so

2) probably ask everyone to, but no way they can force something on 50,000 people or more.

3)not an abundance of rooms real close.  

21B8291C-EA1A-4FDA-B286-383011CCB12F.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The show is planned to happen as we know right now. I head up the tillage after the cross are taken off. If you have questions , give me a call 765-860-0384.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jass1660 said:

Is it certain with the farm progress show being in Iowa again this year?

Farm progress is in Iowa again? I realize that they didn't have it last year but this was in theroy Decatur's year. And its not like they travel around anymore. The site in Iowa would get used again next year. 

Though there is probably a better chance of Iowa's governor letting it happen then Illinois if the current state of affairs continues into the summer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We reserved our room a couple weeks ago with no problem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, superih said:

Why in the world would you ever need to wear a mask outside?

I agree with you there. The people at this show in the past have been stacked in like cord wood which I’m sure will break someone’s rules.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jass1660 said:

You need to reserve golf cart as soon as they say you can if you want one.

We Have Taken our own ride with us the last couple of Show Seasons.

Seemed around noon, The Golf cart rental folks still had enough for everyone that wanted to rent a ride.

This Agriculture Event is a "Must Attend this Again" type of Show,   I Haven't been disappointed with any of the Display's.

This is Organized Extremely well!!  I Can't Thank the Organizers Enough for there time and Commitment.

I would recommend all of Our "Red Power" Friends to attend,  Plan on Sleeping in your own "No Hook-Up's" available Camper.

You Will Find a Different Place on the "Grounds" to Eat, Every Meal, Nice People Too, 

They are your Neighbors you Visit and Eat with.

 You Just haven't  been introduced to them yet.

Count "Us In" to attend,  Jim Droscha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

We Have Taken our own ride with us the last couple of Show Seasons.

Seemed around noon, The Golf cart rental folks still had enough for everyone that wanted to rent a ride.

This Agriculture Event is a "Must Attend this Again" type of Show,   I Haven't been disappointed with any of the Display's.

This is Organized Extremely well!!  I Can't Thank the Organizers Enough for there time and Commitment.

I would recommend all of Our "Red Power" Friends to attend,  Plan on Sleeping in your own "No Hook-Up's" available Camper.

You Will Find a Different Place on the "Grounds" to Eat, Every Meal, Nice People Too, 

They are your Neighbors you Visit and Eat with.

 You Just haven't  been introduced to them yet.

Count "Us In" to attend,  Jim Droscha

Very good points.
I actually met another RP member there in 2017 and we ate lunch together. Had such a good time we met for lunch again in 2019. Hopefully I can meet he and the wife again this year. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having read about this show on this forum,  figured it was a good show to attend.  If your at all interested in farming,  its got to the best show to attend ever!  Just blown away with vast amount of stuff to see.  Like most of us on this forum,  we have interest in red power.  But it was great to see all colours,  stuff never seen, never heard of or known that was even made.  For the size of it,  it runs very well.  Some sort of transportation is needed if walking days are behind you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, redturbo said:

Some sort of transportation is needed if walking days are behind you.

Most definitely, I find it mind boggling that anyone, once they see the scale of, and the amount of activity going on, would think that the show can be seen in one day, or that walking between the various activities can be done.  (We are talking about an area of an ex-Air Force base in size.

It is depressing to see how the buildings have fallen into disrepair since the base, and now the museum have closed.

Rantoul is said to have a population of @12K, so I doubt if there is much lodging/restaurants to be found. Champaign, where we stayed is only about 15 miles (IIRC) away, and the state highway between the two towns was easy to access.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Very good points.
I actually met another RP member there in 2017 and we ate lunch together. Had such a good time we met for lunch again in 2019. Hopefully I can meet he and the wife again this year. 

I sure hope we can, we really enjoyed it too!! We are having a new tractor driver arriving the end of July so we may have an extra one at the table this time, unless they stay home with Grandma this time around!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, red farmer said:

I sure hope we can, we really enjoyed it too!! We are having a new tractor driver arriving the end of July so we may have an extra one at the table this time, unless they stay home with Grandma this time around!!

Very Nice!  Congratulations. I may have my little guy also. The more the merrier. Please give my regards to your wife also.  I was towards the end of July so I’m sure that this one will like all the good stuff also ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...