Cab kits

TB5288

Question about cab kits. Lots of places advertise complete cab kits that are precision cut to fit. Are these places all selling the same kit and calling it their own? Are they made by one company and sold to several distributors? I'm needing a cab kit and wondering if there's a difference in quality. They all look the same on line.

I am just finishing up installing a kit into a Steiger series 3 tractor of 82 vintage. Was a name mentioned often as a good kit to install. I have been somewhat disappointed with it. Most pieces were not an exact fit; far from it in many cases. In some cases we were talking several inches needed trimmed to fit. I will say no piece was to short, all could be salvaged. They advertised the kit as "Kit is pre-cut, complete and ready to install". There were no pieces for the firewall in front of the clutch and brake pedal or the right side cab wall in front of the door. I purchased bulk material to make those pieces. I can see why those pieces are left out of the kit as it does require pulling the push rods out of both master cylinders and pulling the wiring harness junction block free to do the job correctly. The center section of the sub foam for the headliner was short of filling the area between the roll bars so I did have to buy and add a small section of foam. The head liner itself was fine other than I had to final fit it around the roll bars. 

Are all Steiger kits the same? No, as I did after the fact find one that list the three pieces that the kit I installed did not include. As to fit I would have to install the other kit before I could comment on fit.

IMG_0886.jpg

No, not all cab kits are the same.

Steigers are tough because the cabs weren't all uniform. 

Fehr Cab Interiors is hands down the best.  I hear AP Air is a close second.  I might have installed an AP kit, but not for sure, but have installed different brands.  Fehr is my first choice. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Fehr Cab Interiors is hands down the best.  I hear AP Air is a close second.  I might have installed an AP kit, but not for sure, but have installed different brands.  Fehr is my first choice. 

X2 for Fehr cab kits.  I’ve installed a few and they are hands down the best.  Anytime I’ve called in with questions they’ve always had an answer or actually called me back when they got the answer.  That’s worth a lot to me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, J-Mech said:

J-Mech not to disagree with you but do have this question, why would the company that I used short the sub foam by around five inches for the headliner in the center section of the cab as the picture shows yet the headliner itself was correct as far as spacing between roll bar sections. The only modification that I had to do to the actual headliner was open up the area where the roll bar tubes pass through.

Something was not right with that picture. I am not saying this company would not have made it correct, I am sure they probably would have. In this case it was just easier to source the foam locally and move forward with the project.

You are correct in that Steiger switch cab dimensions I believe in 79. This tractor is  a 1982 according to serial number and 82 was marked on the packing slip. Now in fairness to this company I did not contact them to try and figure out what was going on. Also the reason I am not mentioning names as I did not give them a chance to tell me what was going on. However I would really assume Steiger had their act together enough to build cabs without large variations in them. The piece that covers the radio speakers which are in the rear of the cab was long by at least 3 inches. Better long than short though.

The Fehr kits I have installed in 86 series cabs have always been a good fit. In fact I plan on doing another sometime this year if I can find the time.

@IHC_1470

I can't make heads or tails out of your picture.  I don't know what you mean by "short".  Short as in not long enough, or short as in missing? Looks like it fits to me from the picture.  Why parts of the kit were missing I do not know, you really should contact them.  I can only make assumptions.  

As far as Steiger cabs when I said they weren't uniform I literally meant they are all close but not perfect.  Have to remember that cabs like those were unique and not yet widely produced.  When I rebuilt the cab on the 4586 a quick run of the tape measure confirmed why I was having trouble.  Cab was not completely square, and as I recall front/rear were different widths.  They just bent all that metal on a brake, likely not computerized.  So, close, but not perfect.  Oversized foam means cut to fit for good reason.  No 2 cabs are the same.

If you look at the picture I posted you can see the section of green foam. Running front to back (North-South)on the cab the center section was short by 5 to 6 inches. Yet the main headliner was correct. The foam that covered the speaker panel was long east-west direction by several inches. 

That is the left door in the center of the picture.

I get it now.  That foam isn't critical.  It is just to make the headliner even with the main cab frame supports.  While I agree, I would prefer it to fill the gap if for no other reason than to prevent sagging, but also for sound deadening, there is no need for it to be tight.  Likely why it was narrow.  Probably that is the width of the material they purchase, and most people would just center it.  I'd have to go back through and see if I took a pic of that foam after I installed it in the 4586, but it seems as though mine was narrow as well.  I likely just centered it.  As far as the speaker panel, I believe it was meant to be cut to fit.  On the 4586 I had to make my own as I made the speaker panel for it. Or at least I heavily modified the supplied one..... been 2 or 3 years ago now.  I've forgotten. 

From reading this forum,  decided to use Fehr.  Ordered their foam kit,  cowl cover,  pedal kit & rubber molding that goes under the seat for the 766.  Since this tractor doesnt have a factory installed 3pt hitch,  have no need for hole to be cut out for handle.  When I called Fehr,  asked if they could not cut that hole.  Guy on the phone said give me a minute,  he came back & said sure thing.  He asked couple times,  you sure no 3pt hitch?  I said Im sure,  no hole please.  Week later box parts arrive with no hole as I asked for.  I will tell anyone looking for interior to use Fehr. 

• Like 1