82 Cargostar stuck brake drum

oldbart

I've got a stuck rear brake on this Cargostar 1610b 15x5 hydraulic system.It's been sitting for awhile. Couple of questions. Are there two adjusters to loosen the shoes or just one? And is there a release you have to hold up to loosen the adjuster. I can't get the bottom one to move and I'm not sure if it's rusted shut or not.  Afraid to start going too crazy on it without loosening the shoes a bit. I've seen some cool gear puller type setup for getting drums off and thought that might work.  Any advice out there? Thanks in advance. 

IMG_20210302_140521990_HDR.jpg

I would start by pulling axle and outer wheel bearing ,This will let you see whether its the shoes holding it .

Or the studs and hub,  Do you have other side off ?

Great, thanks for the response, sorry though this is getting out of my experience zone. So if it won't slide off its the brake?  I don't have the other side off. Thanks for the help. I appreciate it. I haven't been able to get it to turn even after draggging it down the road so I was just assuming it was the brake. You know about those assumptions though.

Do not recall a lock to hold off. There is a lever that sits on the star wheel to hold it in place that you have to over come. I would guess just stuck in place. There was a self adjust brake out there but I only saw it on School Bus chassis. Since that was back in the 70's I no longer recall how it worked, other than there was a button that went through the brake lining and rubbed against the drum and would push some sort of wedge out as the lining wore.

There should be two adjusters and usually it is the top one that is a pain to move due to no room from the spring pack being in the way. If memory serves correct the outer end of your adjuster tool moves away from the axle to loosen.

Lots of PB blaster or hagen brew, probably fair share of heat, and a very good air impact hammer may get the drum to break loose from the hub. Often just as easy to pull axle bearing and remove the complete assembly.

Thanks a bunch, oh yeah Idaho! We're down here in Homedale on the OR border and the Snake river.

started on the axle last night. as soon as I get to the napa for the 3 1/4' Socket I'll see what happens.  Ive been working on this truck like 15 min a month for 4+ years and this is all thats stopping me from a test drive. 

SUCCESS!!!!  lug nut on, handy man jack between spring pack and back of lug nut. Left side, gain an 1/8. Right side gain an 1/8.  Repeat 20-30 times each side. eventually i was gaining like a 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  ?   Thanks again for the help you guys.  I'll have to start a brake thread next. ha

brakes.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1