Rear weights 1086

ISP1086

I recently got two full weights and 4 halves for my 1086 but no bolts. I’m going to put one full and two halves on each side. I’ve never bolted these on before does anyone have pics of how they mount? The full weight will bolt through the inside and the halves will bolt to the full correct?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ISP1086 said:

I recently got two full weights and 4 halves for my 1086 but no bolts. I’m going to put one full and two halves on each side. I’ve never bolted these on before does anyone have pics of how they mount? The full weight will bolt through the inside and the halves will bolt to the full correct?

Not sure it makes any difference which you use first I've bolted one piece weights on before no problem but others on here claim that you need to use a starter weight first  you may have to just wing it and see what works best for you

• Like 2

I put the half weights on the inside of wheel. One piece weights on the outside.  I used bolts thru the inside ones that were long enough to slide the outside one on. 

Easier  said than done but simple.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

I hope this helps . 252BFB7E-5EBF-4024-AD49-143D3DEBC5C3.thumb.jpeg.f0a8f09c9c6791f3ef3d0529ec1255da.jpeg

B8710533-3EE8-4591-815E-71D2C94AE5C2.thumb.jpeg.590c4cea95081b8a58ac56c3c196215d.jpeg

4F2C6BAE-7D0E-4555-9D6B-59ECFD39B2F1.thumb.jpeg.78eb503dce4f1fb16c2e1783353209a1.jpeg

CD00F0F2-4165-42C4-9137-BE1375E3AAB9.thumb.jpeg.fdd91fe11b4a4cbaf86fbdcffdea6c46.jpeg

DB1A1339-A35A-4FB6-AE48-C258CA435006.thumb.jpeg.650a774c381913f3827ec4382440ff2f.jpeg

Why the outside bolts, double nuts, washers etc......the 4 inner bolts are holding the weights on.

Hmmmm

16 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

I put the half weights on the inside of wheel. One piece weights on the outside.  I used bolts thru the inside ones that were long enough to slide the outside one on. 

Easier  said than done but simple.

I like that idea too

56 minutes ago, ole 815 said:

Why the outside bolts, double nuts, washers etc......the 4 inner bolts are holding the weights on.

Hmmmm

Because that’s the way it’s supposed to be .  Those bolts holding the weights together are all OEM IH . I had them re-plated and put them back in like I found em .   Now if I feel the need to add more weight  I can just move those out to the next set. 

You only really have to bolt the first set on to the cast center and then add extra sets . 

Call it overkill if ya want to but that’s the way it’s supposed to be. 

If those bolts aren’t supposed to be there then why are the slots cast into the weights ??  And why do all the manuals show bolts there ? 

2 hours ago, ISP1086 said:

Since you new here I assume you don’t know why you have gotten so few responses .  

well I will tell you why !

It’s because no matter what someone says or shows a picture of someone else is waiting to pounce all over it spouting about how wrong it is and how right they are so now no one wants to say anything anymore . 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Because that’s the way it’s supposed to be .  Those bolts holding the weights together are all OEM IH . I had them re-plated and put them back in like I found em .   Now if I feel the need to add more weight  I can just move those out to the next set. 

You only really have to bolt the first set on to the cast center and then add extra sets . 

Call it overkill if ya want to but that’s the way it’s supposed to be. 

If those bolts aren’t supposed to be there then why are the slots cast into the weights ??  And why do all the manuals show bolts there ? 

I think it was an honest question. You made the comment "you only really have to bolt the first set to the cast center". I think that's understood but also brings up the question "why the other bolts if the center bolts are installed through both sets"? Not arguing or saying it's wrong...do you have them just in case you want to add more weights? Right or wrong they aren't doing much other than storage the way they are. Did the tractor have more weights that were removed?

1 hour ago, lorenzo said:

Since you new here I assume you don’t know why you have gotten so few responses .  

well I will tell you why !

It’s because no matter what someone says or shows a picture of someone else is waiting to pounce all over it spouting about how wrong it is and how right they are so now no one wants to say anything anymore . 

I was actually happy with the responses so far. 

Whoa. Didn't mean to upset any one. I was jus curious why all the extra bolts.  The slots are for adding extra weights i realize that.  Usually never filled with bolts if the center ones are holding the weights on. 

Never seen the extra jam nuts either. Usually jus square headed bolt , washer and nut.

The  sets of 2 slots that are close to each other on a weight, usually only one used per weight and are staggered from use back and forth as weights added.

Very nice looking tractor though of what we can see.?

There isn't a wrong way to bolt weights on.... or a right way.  They bolt to the cast hub with bolts.  It's like putting a tire on.  Most wheel weights were installed at the dealer when the machines were new.  That's why there doesn't seem to be a consensus on what is "right or wrong" on mounting them, there were lots of different people doing it the way that they thought was easiest or best.  You can only do it a few ways and they all accomplish the same thing.  Just bolt them on.

You must start with the halves, unless you have after market weights. Also I don't believe anyone mentioned that on a wedge lock wheel the first set must have the notch on the inside to fit over the center of the wheel. The only IH weights that fit without the notch are the 40078's. None of the IH one piece weights were made to fit a wedge lock wheel. They can be used after the first set, but not first. Lorenzo has the 400078 weights on his in the pictures. Now BW and Taylor both made rear one piece weights with the notch to fit the center hub on the wedge lock wheels. So it depends on what weights you have. Lorenzo I have never seen the second set bolts done like you have them. Not saying it is wrong, but the thin nut goes first as the jam nut to hold the bolt to the first weight. Then second set added with a washer and a thick nut on the outside. Never seen two nuts in the middle like you have it. You do have the correct hardware, just never saw it like you have it, probably better your way.

7 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

You must start with the halves, unless you have after market weights. Also I don't believe anyone mentioned that on a wedge lock wheel the first set must have the notch on the inside to fit over the center of the wheel. The only IH weights that fit without the notch are the 40078's. None of the IH one piece weights were made to fit a wedge lock wheel. They can be used after the first set, but not first. Lorenzo has the 400078 weights on his in the pictures. Now BW and Taylor both made rear one piece weights with the notch to fit the center hub on the wedge lock wheels. So it depends on what weights you have. Lorenzo I have never seen the second set bolts done like you have them. Not saying it is wrong, but the thin nut goes first as the jam nut to hold the bolt to the first weight. Then second set added with a washer and a thick nut on the outside. Never seen two nuts in the middle like you have it. You do have the correct hardware, just never saw it like you have it, probably better your way.

I disagree the late one piece weights would bolt right up to a wedgeloc wheel no problems 

The one piece weights will bolt on to a wedge lock wheel no problem.    They just will not sit flat on the wheel.   You can get around this if you like by putting spacers between the cast wheel and the first weight if you like.  A 1456 dad bought had 6 weights a side with a first weight as a complete circle.  Never had any trouble.   You could see they were not sitting on square when moving though.  

13 hours ago, ISP1086 said:

The full weights are most likely what we refer to as "H and M" weights, which are "correct" on the older letter series tractors, but weight is weight.

There are a few different types of half weights, but half weights are "correct" for a 1086. What's the part number on these? IIRC, 400078R1 is the correct part number for an 86 series wheel that will fit nicely against the wheel casting.

In this day and age, using lengths of 3/4" allthread (i.e. threaded rod), and not messing with the outer bolts is a common way to mount them.

27 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

The full weights are most likely what we refer to as "H and M" weights, which are "correct" on the older letter series tractors, but weight is weight.

There are a few different types of half weights, but half weights are "correct" for a 1086. What's the part number on these? IIRC, 400078R1 is the correct part number for an 86 series wheel that will fit nicely against the wheel casting.

In this day and age, using lengths of 3/4" allthread (i.e. threaded rod), and not messing with the outer bolts is a common way to mount them.

On my 1066 I have 4 3' lengths of grade 8 all thread and do it that way. 1 set of splits inside the wheel and 3 on the outside.  Cut off what you don't need. 

5 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Show me these weights that are IH one piece that will fit without spacers.

Ok here's my 1086 with all one piece weights that were put on when it was new . No spacers either 

1086 pic.JPG

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ksfarmdude said:

Ok here's my 1086 with all one piece wieghts that were put on when it was new 

1086 pic.JPG

Okay, H-M weights. They don't fit flat on the wheel without spacers. Bolt, yes fit over the wedge locks like 400078's, no.

2 minutes ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

Okay, H-M weights. They don't fit flat on the wheel without spacers. Bolt, yes fit over the wedge locks like 400078's, no.

With four attachment bolts they will fit and bolt down ok maybe not lay flat like you mentioned  after that that rest will fall into place I never had any problems with them coming loose