Anything unique about this 504?

66631222_504A.thumb.jpg.1ab2cef78a78cf40709ef9e5d27eed53.jpgI'm out in SoCal visiting the MIL and wife. Was rooting around and took some pics of the 504 Orchard that is in the shed. Anything here unique, or just another old tractor setting in the dirt? Diesel, 3 point, no PTO, Orchard fenders, power steering in the sweep back axle/bolster.

504 B.jpg

504 C.jpg

504 D.jpg

504 E.jpg

504 F.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Duntongw said:

OK, I have posted pictures before, why are these ones rotated? I thought there was something in support about this, but I don't see it. I guess you get the idea anyway.

Must loaded them from down under

Unique In Different parts of the USA!!,  Handy Chore Tractors,  Does your Mother-in-Law know the story behind this 504?

Tires appear to be Original to the tractor,  Seat hasn't had to many folks slide on & off.

Wheel Weights on the tractor,   a tillage Tractor without a PTO.

Keys are in It,  Find a battery,  Drive it Home  !?

Jim Droscha

Tractor pictured is earlier production model by virtue of having no leveling crank on the left side of three point hitch . ( My 1967 has cranks on both sides). Tractor has no auxiliary hydraulic valves or outlets anywhere. Mine has two valves, one supplying oil to one set of rear outlets and one set of front outlets. The other supplies one set of front outlets. No TA on tractor pictured. Tractor has under-slung exhaust and muffler.

16 hours ago, Duntongw said:

OK, I have posted pictures before, why are these ones rotated? I thought there was something in support about this, but I don't see it. I guess you get the idea anyway.

It's your phone. There's a data bit in the picture that says which side is top, but certain phones put it on the top of the phone, not what was top when you took the picture.

No discussion of the orchard fenders?

Thank you for the picture info. I have downloaded pics from phone before without issue, no idea why this time it didn't work. I had downloaded into my laptop and resized them, before attaching here.

I am not sure of history on this tractor. She has a Massey Ferguson that gets used for mowing around the trees. I have only known of this one to run once in the 25 yrs I have been around.

The tractor would have been used mainly for mowing around orange and Avocado trees.

In regard to the fenders, I was rather amazed at how stout the front mountings brackets for the fenders are, heavier than I would have thought they needed to be, but I suppose if you hooked onto something with those things, it could tear them off pretty easy.

No T/A and no pto but still an interesting tractor. Orchards are rarer but do not know how rare. Almost needs a PTO to be use full, I wonder why they got it without.

Not sure if they bought this one new or not, I will have to ask. Family used to be row crop farmers up in Orange County (southern LA). Used to farm with mules, then tractors, then urban sprawl pushed them out, and moved down to San Diego area and got into citrus/avocado. I would have thought it would have been used for mowing in the groves, but kind of tough without PTO. Kind of useless to have fenders, unless it just pulled a sprayer of some kind.

• Like 1

I would assume this tractor pulled a self contained fruit tree sprayer (motorized pump), the fenders were to keep from catching branches

The one picture it almost looks as if those are interlinked bar rear tires?   

That looks like a really straight unit.   A little cleaning and polishing and it could be real nice.   Great family history too.   Long haul from CA to PA....but should fit on a standard car trailer!

• Like 1

Kinda looks like it might have had the center operator shield.?  look at the LH side it appears to have marks on the hood sides. Is the weight bracket on upside down? I sure would bring it to my place though!

Looks like it wasn't originally an orchard (grove) tractor, but made into one.  I want to say I know nothing about orchard tractors.... but I looked up 504 orchard tractors and the one in this thread only has orchard fenders and nothing else. Grove tractors were very different. I'd like to know if the fenders were made, or aftermarket, or could be bought from IH and added.  All the IH orchard tractors of that era had "hoods" that were all encompassing, including the driver, and the operator station was mover rear and lowered.

This is what I found as an IH 504 orchard.  I'd say yours is definitely special. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, J-Mech said:

Looks like it wasn't originally an orchard (grove) tractor, but made into one.  I want to say I know nothing about orchard tractors.... but I looked up 504 orchard tractors and the one in this thread only has orchard fenders and nothing else. Grove tractors were very different. I'd like to know if the fenders were made, or aftermarket, or could be bought from IH and added.  All the IH orchard tractors of that era had "hoods" that were all encompassing, including the driver, and the operator station was mover rear and lowered.

This is what I found as an IH 504 orchard.  I'd say yours is definitely special. 

Many Orchard Tractors in the Fruit Belt of West Michigan, Several Orchard Tractors are in the collections of farmers miles from the orchards.

Air Cleaner intakes are concealed under the Hoods of the tractors,  A shroud over the steering wheel & Gauges Keeps the limbs of trees catching on the Throttle and such controls.

I Also confess to not knowing the difference between an Orchard Tractor & Grove Tractor.

I would also Consider a Road trip from CA. to PA.  with a car trailer,  Of course we would Watch you Travel from the comfort of our Homes!

Jim Droscha

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fred B said:

Kinda looks like it might have had the center operator shield.?

What exactly is this? I will take a look the next time I am over there, but not sure what I am looking for.

54 minutes ago, Duntongw said:

What exactly is this? I will take a look the next time I am over there, but not sure what I am looking for.

Watch my video above and you'll have an idea.

Well, I went back over and took a closer look at the 504, and as usual, I have more questions now than to begin with.

I have attached more pictures that may hopefully clear some things up, and probably make others muddier.

In regard to the operator shield, no, no holes or sign of anything mounted up on the cowl/hood.

I notice that the seat has plastic on the armrests, was this original?

There was mention about the tire tread, so I got a better picture of that. The weights on the inside of the rear wheels, are solid donuts, probably 7"-8" thick.

You will see a picture of what to me appears to be an auxiliary valve of some sort on the right side of the seat, and also rear auxiliary outlets. They do not have quick disconnects, but I assume that is what they are. Correct?

Now, my main question, and one that J-MECH had brought up, are these, or this an original orchard tractor/fenders? They appear to be fairly well made, but I don't know if good enough for factory. It appears to be a clam shell fell, that has had the larger piece adapted/constructed to it. You will see a picture from the back, some of the seam work, and also the  front mounting bracket. I have seen pictures of orchard fender tractors, but have never been up close and studied one. Perhaps there was an aftermarket supplier for these. Thought's?

20210303_093541.jpg

20210303_093554.jpg

20210303_093619.jpg

20210303_093648.jpg

20210303_093706.jpg

20210303_093808.jpg

20210303_093836.jpg

20210303_093909.jpg

20210303_094056.jpg

20210303_094145.jpg

20210303_094224.jpg

20210303_094246.jpg