Buying meat question.

We used different people years ago for killing/butchering, and thought we had it good.  I had my first 2 from the new "elf" herd ready to go at the end of December, started searching early in 2020 for a butcher, couldn't get in..............Finally found a guy who I heard of years ago but we never used, still does the killing, skinning, gutting, and halving on site, and then takes everything back to the shop.  He worked us in and had him take a extra small one instead of feeding it another year at the beginning of January.  He left them hang 12 days, then cut everything and vac sealed/labeled it.  Was 300% pleased.  I too am also thinking about maybe stuffing acouple hogs in a pen and have them ready for when he does the next 2 steers at that end of this year.  Here are the slips...........For him coming, and me not needing to haul anything anywhere and not going there until everything was done, and just have the skidsteer here for them to use, it was cheap IMO

Butcherer.jpg.8efcf8834e5fe158bb8cf5ecfd6114cc.jpg

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

We used different people years ago for killing/butchering, and thought we had it good.  I had my first 2 from the new "elf" herd ready to go at the end of December, started searching early in 2020 for a butcher, couldn't get in..............Finally found a guy who I heard of years ago but we never used, still does the killing, skinning, gutting, and halving on site, and then takes everything back to the shop.  He worked us in and had him take a extra small one instead of feeding it another year at the beginning of January.  He left them hang 12 days, then cut everything and vac sealed/labeled it.  Was 300% pleased.  I too am also thinking about maybe stuffing acouple hogs in a pen and have them ready for when he does the next 2 steers at that end of this year.  Here are the slips...........For him coming, and me not needing to haul anything anywhere and not going there until everything was done, and just have the skidsteer here for them to use, it was cheap IMO

Butcherer.jpg.8efcf8834e5fe158bb8cf5ecfd6114cc.jpg

Never knew there were guys that would come do all that on site, always figured most would prefer doing it in a controlled environment.  Probably be most worried about a botched kill attempt without having a headlock or a suitable containment as nothing sucks worse than that.  

3 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Never knew there were guys that would come do all that on site, always figured most would prefer doing it in a controlled environment.  Probably be most worried about a botched kill attempt without having a headlock or a suitable containment as nothing sucks worse than that.  

At one time there was a bunch here, As far as I know he is the last one, all the rest that I knew of because of my old man are dead.  

What is the reason that processors are so backed up? I remember years ago the folks calling in a couple weeks to schedule it. Is it because their are less butchers or are their just so many more people now wanting meat off the hoof.

1 hour ago, lbg57 said:

What is the reason that processors are so backed up? I remember years ago the folks calling in a couple weeks to schedule it. Is it because their are less butchers or are their just so many more people now wanting meat off the hoof.

Previous to 2020, I would say irrational fear.................In 2021 I will say they have a well placed fear that its better to have it on hand in large quanities than to depend on being able to get it every week.  

When I had a couple of pigs dressed, he came here and shot them in the head.  His sons took them to the back of his large truck and hung them up to gut them.  As soon as one was halved he would do the 2nd one. Then he takes them back to his butcher shop where they cut them up to what you want.  It cost me about $700 for the 2 to be packaged.  His bacon and green chile sausage is out of this world.

He is very busy this time of year from hunters.

I would not do it again as I gave away or traded most of the meat off plus it is a big hassle raising them (the neighbors were pissed off).

• Like 1
17 hours ago, lbg57 said:

They just can't kill enough cattle/hogs to meet demand. This was becoming a problem over the last decade and now the 2020 BS has made it an impossible feat to get something in.  There are times when we have to call around to get a kill only for a pig roast!

We have cut 8 hogs, a steer, and a cull cow at my dad's this year. We do deer processing and are pretty setup as a butcher shop. We don't have a band saw so no bone in pork chops or t-bones. We sold the saw decades ago because we didn't want to do farm stuff. Now that we can't get any meat in for the family it looks like we will be doing a lot more ourselves.

21 hours ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

They are good shots.

8 hours ago, cobfly said:

They are good shots.

Yup, mine had a special custom rifle made just for it, they were in a hurry when they were here so I didn't find out anything about it, 3 shots - 3 dropped right were they stood in the barn yard.........Drove in with the skidsteer and brought them out one at a time and skinned/gutted/cut them.  

After commenting I herd of another that sells you a fat steer for 3.50 hanging weight. You pick it up ready to put in your freezer. So this is everything for one price. But you buying his animal, not something you raised.