Buying meat question.

lbg57

Years ago when we would buy a quarter or a half of beef from a farmer, we were responsible for the cost of cutting, & wrapping. The producer was responsible for the slaughtering.

That was several years ago. We recently bought a quarter from a local farmer for an agreed on price per pound of hanging weight  and was told we had to pay for the butchering and wrapping which I thought meant cutting & wrapping. When we picked it up the bill had a cost for cutting and wrapping and also a cost for slaughtering.

I was raised on a farm and butchering & cutting were one and the same and slaughtering is the actual killing, and quartering. 

I know this sounds like a dumb question but could someone shed some light on this? Thanks. 

We sell ours by live weight and customer is responsible for everything else. If we ship to the yards, they take selling commission and that's it. If we paid for any of the butchering, we would go backwards, I would just send them all to the yards.

We sell by hanging weight we are paid by the pound per scaled weight then customer is responsible for all processing cost to be paid to butcher. Ours charge between $30-$50 per head can’t remember and they usually divide it by how sold 1/4 1/2 or whole 

I personally never heard anyone doing the way you describe 

X2. I think we are all saying the same:  slaughter/cut/wrap whatever....around here that all goes to the butcher, and it is paid for by the buyer of the meat.   I just sold one by “hanging weight”, but it left our farm Alive.  Buyer paid trucking and butcher fees. 

Locker plant is worse than a mechanic , used to charge by pound to process . now they charge kill, skin ,disposal hide guts bones , then processing ,tenderizing on and on . Bill longer than a rusty car restoration  that took 5 years . Last steer i took in cost 600$ to process. The aggravation of feeding 5-6 calves on and off feed to butcher **** with that . Ill just buy what I want at my buddy's meat market. 

• Like 1

Actually we had one done at the local shop earlier this year and after having scheduled for forever, got a call that the price has gone up. One week before it goes in, price went from $600ish to $1000 for an animal. Needless to say, looked around and have a guy doing them for $500. Its a lot of work, I respect that, but getting the same amount of money to process a critter as we do to grow the animal doesn't sit well with me.

• Like 1

X3, northern Illinois the small lockers are so busy it is unbelievable, we have had hogs and beef both done and the price like everything else keeps going up and up , seriously thinking about buying a meat saw and a commercial grinder and going back to doing it my self?

12 minutes ago, Craig61019 said:

X3, northern Illinois the small lockers are so busy it is unbelievable, we have had hogs and beef both done and the price like everything else keeps going up and up , seriously thinking about buying a meat saw and a commercial grinder and going back to doing it my self?

We did some hogs ourselves last may, and a steer last November. I’ll do hogs any day, but I’m thinking the steer should go to a professional! It was WAY more work than we anticipated, and we’re finding too much gristle in our burgers. Partially from lack of experience I would imagine, but probably also from trying to rush because of how big the job turned out to be.

I pay by hanging weight, was 5/lb last time. That includes processing best I know he pays 2-2.50/lb for processing... but that’s really his business not mine, so i dont ask, he seems to like to tell however. 

I think what lbg57 is referring to is "years ago" some farmers around here would actually do the kill/slaughter on the farm. Then take the hanging meat to the butcher shop for cutting and wrapping therefore the butcher's bill did not include the kill/slaughter work. Was common practice around here way back when life was not so regulated by regulations. Also small butcher shops were all over in our area in those days. Most killed but i can think of some that didn't, my grampa was one that took hanging meat into his cooler and cut, wrapped, as well as retailed through his grocery/gas/resteruant establishment.  In this case the farmer bore the cost of kill/slaughter.

Also back then you could go to one of your local butchers and he would say "sure, lets do it on Thursday" .  Not " bring him in November 29th"  like it is today.  

Here there is only one kill house and then the butcher shop does the rest. 

Just found the last butcher ticket from a hog done in December, 202 pounds hanging weight cost for killing cutting disposal curing of bacon and wrapping/freezing was $254?

10 hours ago, shot_gun_red said:

Locker plant is worse than a mechanic , used to charge by pound to process . now they charge kill, skin ,disposal hide guts bones , then processing ,tenderizing on and on . Bill longer than a rusty car restoration  that took 5 years . Last steer i took in cost 600$ to process. The aggravation of feeding 5-6 calves on and off feed to butcher **** with that . Ill just buy what I want at my buddy's meat market. 

X2

Wow I feel bad....shops here only charge $450-500, to do the entire job, I take  them a 1300 lb animal, and pick it up shrink wrapped and frozen. That’s non USDA though. I believe it’s $800, if you want to be able to resell it. 

• Like 1

In my time slaughter has always been different person than the process/cut and wrap business. Started because of all the heath laws. Currently we do have a small slaughter facility that also cuts and wraps but it is 40 miles away.

It was 2019 when we had the last beef slaughtered, was $175 + the hide I think, and that migth be the old friend discount, cannot remember.When working closer to town the slaughter disposes of offal, I put it out as coyote bait.Ageing 3 weeks cut, wrap,and flash freeze was 1.25 on hanging weight.  I am sure both are higher now. The 2 cut and wrap places have been at capacity for years and you had to book a date 30 to 90 days before you wanted in. So I don't know how the future will be.

Local lockers (3 of them) are booked a year in advance. I called last April hoping to get one in around November..... nope, February 2nd was the earliest date they had. Yes, I cringe when they hand me the bill and you can go to the store and probably buy it cheaper. But, as the wife says, "you know what you are getting when you have your own butchered" and that itself is worth a lot. For some reason we bought 10# of hamburger at the grocery store a couple years ago. I almost gagged eating it. Served some steaks to some city friends and they couldn't stop talking about the tenderness and the flavor. I guess real beef/pork is just another of those things that us farmers get to enjoy.

• Like 2

We just had an old cow made into hamburger.  Got 20 lbs of smoked bologna too.  Ran about $400 for the burger and 100$ to get the bologna done (naturally smoked so worth the money).  That's back the trailer up and get it back packaged, boxed and frozen.  I believe that's a very fair price.  Even though it was a decrepit old cow got compliments on how good the burger is.  Amazing how it tastes better coming out of the grinder right into the tube and frozen eh??  I cant stomach a lot if store bought burger for that reason, almost tastes "sour".  

Guy does a top notch job, got a few half of pigs as payment on some repair jobs and never had sausage so good and getting real smoked hams and bacon is something few get to experience.  

As the kids get older and we really start going through food were probably going to start sourcing meat only like this and knocking a feeder of our own, and may even start raising a few pigs.  

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

As the kids get older and we really start going through food were probably going to start sourcing meat only like this and knocking a feeder of our own, and may even start raising a few pigs.  

We've always raised beef but I had no experience with pigs and was a little intimidated by it. We had a girl from our 4H group raise her fair pig in our barn a couple years ago which benefited both parties. We raised our own last year and it was surprisingly simple. We are at the point where we schedule a butcher date before we get the animals because the slaughter and locker businesses are backed up so far.

Jesse

In our neck of the woods it's about the same as the others.  50 cents per lb, cut and wrap, anything special, you pay extra, like smokies, summer sausage, pepper sticks all extra. If they come out and do the kill, yea that's extra too. I understand their time is just as valuable as anyone else's. 

Mark