Two other threads one on cursing and remarks about respect made in another got me to thinking.

Twice in the last month I have had a 4wd pickup invade our property. What we farm is not ideal by any standard and we have been no till for 30+ years. So yes we have had to level a field or two thanks to mother nature after harvest. Now my invader has went straight up the slope at the start of what will be our rainy season normally. I have had this happen before and I have entrances cabled or blocked but this special ass crossed the grader ditches so he could make his mud tour on two separate occasions on two different farms.  GRRRR

Makes me want to experiment with a slug on an engine block. I know not with them in the truck that will get you hard time.

• Sad 3

I have similar issues each year with snowmobiles driving over my winter wheat.  And each year I speak to the snowmobile club about lost crop income due to the snowmobile traffic.

And I even have a road RIGHT NEXT TO the field that they are trampling that I have asked them to use INSTEAD of riding across the field!!!

• Thanks 1

Don’t you guys know, these people deserve, and have rights to be on your land, just ask them, they’ll tell you!! Your just farmers, it’s not like you feed the world?! ?

I’ve had my fill of people here too!!! 

• Like 1

We have a ongoing issue going on up and down the road my folks live on for the past year but no one has been able to catch the ahole in the act. Little over a year ago did donuts in a 2 year old alfalfa seedling. Brother and a neighbor heard the truck revving up but by the time anybody could get down there the truck was racing away.

A couple of weeks later someone went out in the above neighbor's wheat field and did 2 donuts in the field. This field has a pond in it of varying size depending on how wet it is. It was wet when this happened and he cut 8 to 10 inch ruts in the wheat when he did the donuts. 

Nothing further happened last winter. But it started again this winter again. This time it was a rented empty soybean field we rent. The landlord heard the vehicle but was gone when he got back there. To get to this spot you have to run a lane along a woods so you have to know the layout to get there. 

A few weeks ago the hayfield we talked about above had someone try to enter it. After last year's incident, we place a black locust log across the gateway when it's not hay season to keep idiots out. Whoever it was ran into the log and then backed out and left. Further down at the end of the road there are some fields rented by another neighbor that had someone go out and do donuts in them. Good thing the log was there.

We're pretty sure it's the same guy. He knows where all the gateways are because some of these are hidden. Knows the outlay of the properties he's hit. If his truck gets stuck and he leaves it, he may come back and find he no longer has a truck. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, Reichow7120 said:

We have a ongoing issue going on up and down the road my folks live on for the past year but no one has been able to catch the ahole in the act. Little over a year ago did donuts in a 2 year old alfalfa seedling. Brother and a neighbor heard the truck revving up but by the time anybody could get down there the truck was racing away.

A couple of weeks later someone went out in the above neighbor's wheat field and did 2 donuts in the field. This field has a pond in it of varying size depending on how wet it is. It was wet when this happened and he cut 8 to 10 inch ruts in the wheat when he did the donuts. 

Nothing further happened last winter. But it started again this winter again. This time it was a rented empty soybean field we rent. The landlord heard the vehicle but was gone when he got back there. To get to this spot you have to run a lane along a woods so you have to know the layout to get there. 

A few weeks ago the hayfield we talked about above had someone try to enter it. After last year's incident, we place a black locust log across the gateway when it's not hay season to keep idiots out. Whoever it was ran into the log and then backed out and left. Further down at the end of the road there are some fields rented by another neighbor that had someone go out and do donuts in them. Good thing the log was there.

We're pretty sure it's the same guy. He knows where all the gateways are because some of these are hidden. Knows the outlay of the properties he's hit. If his truck gets stuck and he leaves it, he may come back and find he no longer has a truck. 

Need some game cams and good hiding spot with rock salt shells.  Scare him.  We had guy cut corner 50 yards last year or so middle of the day.  So my wife followed him since she was right there in the car.  Got pics of plates.  Sheriff paid the kid and dad a visit.  Officer said "Judging by the dads furiousness I am pretty sure he wont even drive by again."

You know a cop.  Get plate # somehow.  Safe for you....bad for him.

Friend had kids drag racing his road.  They start 1/8 mile from his house and go by flying (kids dogs etc).  He even says if you want me to flag the race ill do it right here since its 3/4 mile of no homes past him.  Strapped every gun to his body he could, face paint and anything to look intimidating.  Hid behind his pile of crushed rock (contractor) and right as they zinged by tossed hand fulls of rock.  Direct hits.  Haven't seen em since.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Two other threads one on cursing and remarks about respect made in another got me to thinking.

Twice in the last month I have had a 4wd pickup invade our property. What we farm is not ideal by any standard and we have been no till for 30+ years. So yes we have had to level a field or two thanks to mother nature after harvest. Now my invader has went straight up the slope at the start of what will be our rainy season normally. I have had this happen before and I have entrances cabled or blocked but this special ass crossed the grader ditches so he could make his mud tour on two separate occasions on two different farms.  GRRRR

Makes me want to experiment with a slug on an engine block. I know not with them in the truck that will get you hard time.

being from MO I know they type, have had encounters with a few over the years, best thing i ever saw done was my landlord strategically placed some old barbed wire in the weeds where they seemed to like to come/go - saw the truck a couple times after that and got lic number. My landlord was retired HWY PATROL superintendent. Parents were contacted and wondered if their son had ran thru his fence. He said no why do you ask? They said he ran thru some barbed wire and it tore out all the brake lines, and a bunch of other stuff ( i cant remember ) and cost quite a bit of $$ to fix so they said if he ever saw their son out there let them know ? 

maybe your ditches or places they frequent need some barbed wire - its magnetic, it will stick to anything and blends well in the grass

• Like 2

Get cameras, did that to a snooping neighbour as soon as he triggered camera I came flying, idiot could not work out why I knew he was there. After a while he became terrified of me as I told him if he kept this up it is very difficult to tell the difference between a kangaroo and human at night especially at 300m.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was reading down the thread and before reaching troys I was formatting a plan, his was mine about cams, then I read searcy’s which was my other thought to. I have used the cam method and am happy, and seen the wire ideas used and seem like a good plan.

I don’t have a land destruction problem but a theft problem from outside covers, instead of wire I used lights because of proximity, I know lights aren’t in your arena but getting ideas and putting them in use for your needs should help, planning with some ideas helped in my case, good luck with yours.

I've never thought it was a good idea NOT to have a fence.

4 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

If you don't have livestock, no one wants a fence, but a fence along the road solves most of these issues. 

3 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I've never thought it was a good idea NOT to have a fence.

I like your thinking.

• Haha 2

2x4 and a framing nailer comes to mind...

• Haha 1

what I did was place a target gong at the back of the ochard. [can hit it from the back portch]

makes a heck of a loud ring with the 32/40 Win.

solves 3 problems

1- they tend to leave righ away.

2- if they claime I was shooting at them the officer can plainely see the target and the shots on iron [painted gong]

3-this proves who was tresspassing and do property damage.

works great.

Mike

• Like 3

Yea, you have to be careful with idiots. About 25 years ago, someone drove back past my brothers house into the hay fields, and stopped. He walked back and tapped on their side window with the butt of his 357. He didn't threaten them or anything of the nature, just told them to get out and stay out, they soon left. Next day, cops come to work ready to haul my brother off. Go figure.

• Confused 1

Game cameras are your best defense against these idiots. They see a playground for themselves where you see a crop/ income. Until you get a plate number or a vehicle description/ picture, they won’t stop.

IF your lucky they’ll get stuck out there, then you have leverage against them. Most likely you’re at the mercy of the law with these idiots. You can talk tough but IF you do something the law will be looking for you! Cops don’t like vigilantes no matter what happened.

23 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

I have similar issues each year with snowmobiles driving over my winter wheat.  And each year I speak to the snowmobile club about lost crop income due to the snowmobile traffic.

And I even have a road RIGHT NEXT TO the field that they are trampling that I have asked them to use INSTEAD of riding across the field!!!

Is there an official trail through your property ANYWHERE?

CLOSE IT! Deny them permission to have a trail anywhere on your property. That WILL get their attention. 

9 hours ago, mader656 said:

I like your thinking.

Give him a quote .....

I live on a dead end road in a creek bottom. I have several small fields next to my house. I got home one night from coon hunting for the wife to come out and tell me she thought someone was spotlight our fields. I went out on the back deck and seen a truck cut out in the fields a couple times. I ran up to the road and met them standing in the middle of the road with my coon light blaring thru their windshield and rifle on my back. Turned out to be a truckload of high school kids. After I chewed them up one side and down the other i sent them on their way.  I haven’t had any trouble in these fields since. I’m guessing there was a lot of talk about a crazy guy living on my road the next day at school. 

1 hour ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

I live on a dead end road in a creek bottom. I have several small fields next to my house. I got home one night from coon hunting for the wife to come out and tell me she thought someone was spotlight our fields. I went out on the back deck and seen a truck cut out in the fields a couple times. I ran up to the road and met them standing in the middle of the road with my coon light blaring thru their windshield and rifle on my back. Turned out to be a truckload of high school kids. After I chewed them up one side and down the other i sent them on their way.  I haven’t had any trouble in these fields since. I’m guessing there was a lot of talk about a crazy guy living on my road the next day at school. 

I bet they left out the part about going home to change shorts

• Haha 1

Lol ya I’m guessing there was a major O S$&T moment when they rounded the corner and saw me in the road. I felt a little bad afterwards I was pretty harsh but hopefully they learned to respect people land a little more. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Dirtscooter5 said:

....... I was pretty harsh but hopefully they learned to respect people land a little more. 

You can't be nice------and you can't be too harsh on these people.  Unfortunately-----there are alot of varying situations that enter the picture.  Most state laws vary from state to state---as does the court system to prosecute trespassers under.

It is your LAND------and they are trespassing against your will.  Same trespassing as if they were in my yard or in my house.

We had a bad situation with 4 wheelers at one time.  A group of local landowners went in and discussed it with the sheriff and gained his backing-----ran advertisements in the local newspapers stating that violators would be prosecuted and the landowners had no liability for any injuries or DEATHS occurring by a trespassers.  ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Additionally-----I had an understanding with the sheriff that any vehicle (4 wheeler, truck, or car) found trespassing would be towed in by orders of the deputy on the scene.  (in case the local court did not prosecute------the trespassers still received a towing bill)

The sheriff was assured that if I called--------I was not going to release them based on their promises to not do it again.  Did not make alot of friends amongst the teenagers and rift/raft community------but still get thank yous from the landowners.  YOU will have to make a stand as the landowner-------otherwise you really don't own the land.

The more you can get supporting you when you talk to the sheriff the better.  He will be seeing votes when it is a group vs one indidiviual.

In addition to all of the approaches mentioned by others--------I would find an inexpensive drone with camera to be helpful in tracking the baxtards down. 

You will have to be tough and ugly---------GOOD LUCK!!!

Keep us posted.

DD

A local farmer had an incident with a car stuck in his alfalfa field late at night. They knocked on his door for a tow, he willingly obliged. Once the chain was hooked the old White 4-180 lurched backwards “accidentally” up onto the hood almost into the windshield! Haven’t heard of them coming back.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, 1066lover said:

A local farmer had an incident with a car stuck in his alfalfa field late at night. They knocked on his door for a tow, he willingly obliged. Once the chain was hooked the old White 4-180 lurched backwards “accidentally” up onto the hood almost into the windshield! Haven’t heard of them coming back.

Was that in Panton?

10 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

You can't be nice------and you can't be too harsh on these people.  Unfortunately-----there are alot of varying situations that enter the picture.  Most state laws vary from state to state---as does the court system to prosecute trespassers under.

It is your LAND------and they are trespassing against your will.  Same trespassing as if they were in my yard or in my house.

We had a bad situation with 4 wheelers at one time.  A group of local landowners went in and discussed it with the sheriff and gained his backing-----ran advertisements in the local newspapers stating that violators would be prosecuted and the landowners had no liability for any injuries or DEATHS occurring by a trespassers.  ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!!

Additionally-----I had an understanding with the sheriff that any vehicle (4 wheeler, truck, or car) found trespassing would be towed in by orders of the deputy on the scene.  (in case the local court did not prosecute------the trespassers still received a towing bill)

The sheriff was assured that if I called--------I was not going to release them based on their promises to not do it again.  Did not make alot of friends amongst the teenagers and rift/raft community------but still get thank yous from the landowners.  YOU will have to make a stand as the landowner-------otherwise you really don't own the land.

The more you can get supporting you when you talk to the sheriff the better.  He will be seeing votes when it is a group vs one indidiviual.

In addition to all of the approaches mentioned by others--------I would find an inexpensive drone with camera to be helpful in tracking the baxtards down. 

You will have to be tough and ugly---------GOOD LUCK!!!

Keep us posted.

DD

Worth noting-------As a private citizen; I never tried stopping anyone except on our private family land or land that I had a management agreement on.  Always make sure you know where you are------let the landowner who is be trespassed against be present and make the charges.

Pulling ignition keys ain't  no bad idea.  Let it be known that if he is on your property------his as$ belongs to you!!!!  (I can be your best friend---------or your worst enemy-----you decide which you want) The sheriff agreed with me------the judge agreed with the sheriff.  The perpetrators eventually got the message.  Stay after them.

DD

10 hours ago, hippy5488 said:

harrow sections placed upside down in the entrance will keep them out. mommy and daddy dont like buying all four tires more than once.

used that about 20 years ago but I had a suspect and told his dad it would ruin those new 35 inch boggers and I didn't give a sh!t. No more problems from that one

As I said not my first problem. Had a car blocking my hay lot so I was pissed and probably the meanest thing was I used tractor and bale fork to carry the car across the road and placed it sideways between two board fences. I called the sheriff and told him I moved a vehicle from my property but left out the details. He had to have a wrecker winch it out. I have left nasty notes in vehicles before but I have yet to have a face to face with one of the mudders.