Didn't grow up around much swearing. Dad would let a few choice words slip every once in awhile and when it did slip it caught your attention and you knew something wasn't right and you better leave. As far i can remember never did him say the F word.  I try my best to never swear or curse but it does happen sometimes and when it happens everyone around usually shuts up or leave.   Step son is bad about it working on him to clean his act up.

• Like 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I wuz running replacement heifers through the other day and about halfway I discovered I have a propensity towards using foul language. I am actually fairly good at it. ? Although it is commo

My first boss told me a tale from when had a trucking business. He said he was loading sows for the small church pastor into a straight truck. Those old sows had never seen a loading chute and were no

I've found with age that nothing makes a person sound less intelligent than excessive cursing. That being said, yes I to am guilty from time to time but I try to keep it out of regular conversation. 

Posted Images

My first boss told me a tale from when had a trucking business. He said he was loading sows for the small church pastor into a straight truck. Those old sows had never seen a loading chute and were not cooperative. A bucket was used to back sows up the chute and it was working until it didn't. Old boss said one of them with a bucket over head charged forward sticking him on top and through a wood fence. He said I cussed and yelled everything I knew. The preacher said I have never heard such language. Boss man said well preacher you never road a sow backwards down and through a loading chute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
23 minutes ago, junkandcattle said:

My first boss told me a tale from when had a trucking business. He said he was loading sows for the small church pastor into a straight truck. Those old sows had never seen a loading chute and were not cooperative. A bucket was used to back sows up the chute and it was working until it didn't. Old boss said one of them with a bucket over head charged forward sticking him on top and through a wood fence. He said I cussed and yelled everything I knew. The preacher said I have never heard such language. Boss man said well preacher you never road a sow backwards down and through a loading chute.

i think i have ridden that same family of sows thru some loading chutes - maybe distant relatives 

• Haha 3
38 minutes ago, new guy said:

Who gets to decide what words are "bad words"?

Exactly. One of the things that always annoyed me was when people would say they don't curse but then use "substitute" words in their place. I'm certain we have all heard people do it or done it ourselves. Yeah, saying "frick" makes it ok.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, MTO said:

Anyone who has met/talked to me knows.

I'm going straight to he!!.

oh mark - have a lil faith, i know a guy with big shoulders that will take you elsewhere - its just a choice 

• Like 1

I admittedly cuss alot. I use them all. I am pretty good at keeping it clean at family things or around certain neighbors and customers but when I'm around the regulars it's all out there. Not proud but not ashamed. Never thought of them as much more than words. Most of my corruption came from working with  my Uncle and industrial work in the past. It was the constant vocabulary in those situations. Probably should clean it up but I would have to want to first.

• Like 3

Like I mentioned and like I did, I made a point of not swearing around my kidz as they grew up, I also never swore when doing stuff with my son, but that all changed when him and I started hanging pipe and rebuilding GD pumps.

The only others were my folks, didn’t swear around them either just out of respect, but there was this one time in 1969 happening around 2 in the afternoon and I have to be at work at 4, I put a clutch in the Z and I didn’t take the time to use a pilot shaft, just spin the pressure plate and tighten up when the tranny is in, well it’s hot, I’m on my back with this rock crusher Muncie on my chest and it will not center, finally I am out of time and energy and I start like a drunken sailor for about 2 minutes and in it goes, bolt everything up and climb out from under, the old man is standing there and asks if I’m done, yah why, he says your mother can open the windows again, I look and she had closed up all the windows so she didn’t have to listen to her sons tirade, she passed when I was 24 way to young and robbing my kids of meeting a great granny.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just another case of people teaching other people to be offended by some imaginary thing. Seriously, why is one sound more offensive than another? Why is some word more offensive than another? 

Because someone told you it is.

For **** sake toughen up Francis.

• Like 3

Wow 

Had no idea this would get this many replies.

Just thought it funny to use Shakespear to confuse the hfrs? 

I raised my boys to be respectful around women.

Still get after them if they slip, kinda old fashioned that way.

Nothing wrong or weak about having manners.

I still know how to use the seven words George Carlin says you can't say on tv. I just consider present company whether or not I use 'em.

Sitting around the firehall After a fire meeting is a lot different than laying around the living room after Thanksgiving dinner

• Like 3

Bilingual here - English and profanity. Not all the time and never at work or in mixed company but sometimes it seems to work.

I've ridden that sow! There's nothing more obstinate. There's nothing like the one who has stepped on your foot, pinning you to the ground and then wants to go through you. Sweet talking her doesn't work and blue language doesn't help except perhaps to alert someone else to your predicament. Hopefully if someone is alerted he'll bring a 2X4 to get her attention.

• Like 1

8 years in the military and then over 20 years working construction.  My language is horrible and can use a clean up

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

8 years in the military and then over 20 years working construction.  My language is horrible and can use a clean up

• Haha 1

My language is generally real bad... dad was a trucker at a construction company and a farmer with cattle, and I chose to be a heavy equipment mechanic.... don't even realize I'm cussing until I see the discusted look on people's faces.

• Like 3

I have gone through both realms working in industry and now in the office in a leadership role

I tell my kids about my parents had 2 lives pre born again Christian and post, running cattle pre would get my dad going full bore blaming my mother who was helping for desired actions an animal with the diminished mental capacity did not fulfill although he never said the f word but did buy a Ford Mike?

Then the post half of their lives which my kids have always know, I witness first hand the power it beholds and couldn’t ask for a better example 

• Like 2

I find that working with livestock or machinery requires a good strong vocabulary of curse words to retain my sanity. I might even invent a few new ones. But in polite company you'll never hear it from me. 

• Like 7

depends on the context the naughty words are used in

down here,       they can be a term of genuine affection for someone

• Haha 2

True enough Oz you silver tongued devil you?

How could the shielas resist

Fancy a ford

• Haha 4

i'll have to finish this job tomorrow.  i've used up all my cuss words for today.

pete

• Haha 4
8 hours ago, DHF said:

i'll have to finish this job tomorrow.  i've used up all my cuss words for today.

pete

That is why I shared the chart on page one. 

Now, back to work?

Just like smokin,

I used to, I quit.  Hard at first, not so much now.

To each their own, yours don't bother me, except around women and children.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ozfarm said:

they can be a term of genuine affection for someone

Also considered a compliment if I have sufficiently pissed someone off

• Haha 1

My English teacher at college said:-

Swear if you must.

But dont swear till you must.

Its stuck with me throughout the years. Cant say I have always achieved his lofty thought yet I can say I remember something I was taught lol

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 35desoto said:

My English teacher at college said:-

Swear if you must.

But dont swear till you must.

Its stuck with me throughout the years. Cant say I have always achieved his lofty thought yet I can say I remember something I was taught lol

That's a good quote.

• Like 1

I can probably swear with the best of them, and that is one of the things that I liked about the OLD oilfield, in that you could throw a tantrum and nobody thought anything about it, BUT,

"Cursing as normal", is yet one more thing that we can attribute to the LIBERAL 'entertainment industry", by their bringing it into the garbage they pass off as part of their 'movies', television, and 'music'.  (Most likely as an effort to mock the 'morals and lack of 'edumacation' of the barely literate, Bible-thumping, rubes of flyover country).

One has to consider the situation, and who one is talking to, but sometimes a well placed, category II curse word, is needed to make a point.  (Which is why I have absolutely NO qualms about telling the LYING, LIBERAL, ELITIST, FILTH of the MEDIA EXACTLY what I think of them, since a person could use the Queen's 'bestest' English, and have multiple degrees from Harvard, Yale or Oxford, when trying to 'communicate' your conservative viewpoint with these ELITIST PIECES of S**T, and they still would dismiss you as being an unwashed, barely literate, rube, who is too ignorant to either see, or accept the 'joys of the progressive way of life'.

However, I have been offended enough to walk out of a movie or two (Born on the 4th of July was one, "Maverick" was another, but only because of its stupidity, or vow never to come back to a business, because of the filth they had on in the customer lounge), but now I try to limit my cursing to remarking on my own stupidity, or the idiocy displayed by other drivers.

• Like 1