So, I wuz running replacement heifers through the other day and about halfway I discovered I have a propensity towards using foul language. I am actually fairly good at it. ?

Although it is common vernacular in these parts amongst my neighbors and me, with grandkids on the horizon, maybe I should try to clean it up a bit. ?

After all I don't want mom asking the youngun "where did you learn that kind of language" only to hear "I helped grandpa work heifers". ?

Wish me luck. Next time I am trying to  push the young dollies up the alleyway and into the chute, maybe I can sound a little less rough around the edges and keep a bar of soap out of juniors mouth......................thou joggerheaded swag bellied hedge pigs. ?

981053131_shakespereinsultkit.thumb.jpg.17c1b52bee13643c16d8eb4678f89c37.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, I wuz running replacement heifers through the other day and about halfway I discovered I have a propensity towards using foul language. I am actually fairly good at it. ? Although it is commo

My first boss told me a tale from when had a trucking business. He said he was loading sows for the small church pastor into a straight truck. Those old sows had never seen a loading chute and were no

I've found with age that nothing makes a person sound less intelligent than excessive cursing. That being said, yes I to am guilty from time to time but I try to keep it out of regular conversation. 

Posted Images

Had mine cleaned up for several years then wound up doing some factory work for a couple of years. I ran a line that had been pieced together from a few discarded pieces. When I quit they were unhappy with my language over the company radio and I told them I had discovered the cause of turrets. As for working cattle I had a neighbor over 3/10ths of a mile away working in his shop overheard the conversation me and the cows were having.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sandhiller, I was in your place once. I picked up the bad habit while in the Army. Every 3rd or 4th word would come out pretty darn blue. Then I actually listened to myself one day and realized how dumb I sounded. Believe it or not, it only took a few days to completely stop cursing. I haven't used anything worse than "fiddle faddle" or "holy crud" in over 20 eyars. Even when the 4# hammer hits my thumb!

• Like 3

I always figured, if a kid hears you cuss, it should be for a specific and good reason. And then explain these words should not be used in general conversation.

• Like 3

Most I ever heard from dad was dam or sh-t. Have tried to do the same. Worked in a machine shop years ago and it was tough not to bring it home. 

8232cb75c2e148593cc3c01405baef21--funny-dad-dads.jpg.975ded3c6ac485687b86ff884a0f9d81.jpg

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, larv71 said:

Most I ever heard from dad was dam or sh-t. Have tried to do the same. Worked in a machine shop years ago and it was tough not to bring it home. 

8232cb75c2e148593cc3c01405baef21--funny-dad-dads.jpg.975ded3c6ac485687b86ff884a0f9d81.jpg

That was my attention getter years ago new dad and I was all wadded up changing some pickup teeth on the baler when a horse fly got in the v of my overalls having himself a nice lunch. Needless to say I thought there was a bee in there and yelled out a few choice words. When I got undone and walked outside the boy says did you kill that f'ng bee dad? Didn't know him and momma had walked down to see me. OOPS

• Haha 3

What would Jesus say?  Not saying I don't let a bad one slip now and then, but this helps me some anyway.  I have finally disciplined myself to not take the Lord's name in vain.  Had to teach a couple of different grandsons by answering their "oh my God" to "do you think God thinks you're talking to Him?"  Definitely made them think twice before saying it again.

• Like 3
50 minutes ago, larv71 said:

Working on a Ford, a man only has so much patience #@$&$%#

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1
53 minutes ago, larv71 said:

Worked in a machine shop years ago and it was tough not to bring it home. 

I know what you mean.  When I started college in '73 I was exposed for the first time to very consistent use of the F word.  Started using it more myself just out of habit.

Took a while to break the habit.  Then working in an industrial environment put it in front of me again.  Takes a conscience effort to keep it halfway clean.

Re. the F word - like George Carlin said "that's the one you use for the end of the argument".  Too many people use it now as every other word, and the only adjective they know.  Takes effort to break a habit.

• Like 3

Hey Jeff, my post in your other thread mentioned being by myself on a bus at age 5 to 6, that’s when I started with the blue jargon and it continues to this day, didn’t make a point of using it in front of my kids but things happen.

I was told a few times, I’ve been told it shows a lack of intelligence, (maybe) I’ve been told to trade words with blue words ( never) I’ll never change, I don’t want to change.

The funny thing is if I meet someone I don’t start out “ duck this and duck that” but more often than not they will start the conversation in that manner, my thinking is the long hair, tats, earrings topped off with a great looking black Stetson they figure I’m not a shrinking violet, so what the duck.

image.png

• Like 2

...best of luck on that  new strategy, Jeff

...our near neighbour..normally a mild mannered man......who composes poetry  for ''relaxation''...just comes totally unglued   when working with cattle......If   it didn't get quite scary at times...it would almost be funny.....

....he is of average height......average build ...but the only bloke I   have ever seen who could  load a truck  with 400lb    wool bales three high.....now that was when he was in his prime......but the ''invective''   used throughout   just about  melted one's ear wax.....

14 minutes ago, hardtail said:

Working on a Ford, a man only has so much patience #@$&$%#

Now   Lance.....you have got Steve  all   worked up over the "F" word......

please use more discretion  in the future...:rolleyes:

Mike

• Haha 3
3 minutes ago, mike newman said:

Now   Lance.....you have got Steve  all   worked up over the "F" word......

please use more discretion  in the future...:rolleyes:

Mike

Maybe not all worked up, but I have reached the point where if I use it, people notice, and take what come next seriously.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

What would Jesus say?  Not saying I don't let a bad one slip now and then, but this helps me some anyway.  I have finally disciplined myself to not take the Lord's name in vain.  Had to teach a couple of different grandsons by answering their "oh my God" to "do you think God thinks you're talking to Him?"  Definitely made them think twice before saying it again.

Some lines even the worst of us don't cross

• Like 1

There was very little swearing in my house growing up. The worst I heard as a child was Dad when something went wrong was DAM!  And that meant it was pretty bad because it was usually , "aw heck". However..... after I became a bit older say 18 and up I sometimes heard my Father say "aw Sh!t" and it was a revelation when I heard him use the "F" word over the phone to his brother! As I got older, I came to realize that my Father swore like many people, just not in front of kids.  I rarely swear in normal conversation, my Wife says I just don't swear much at all unless I am using the word to make a point or in context with something. I will thank my Dad for that. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

Maybe not all worked up, but I have reached the point where if I use it, people notice, and take what come next seriously.

...its all good  Steve.....:)

,,,I have met Hardtail, a time or two,   ...up in the icy wastes     of Alberta...he's a  good bloke.....just "funnin: with him...

Long story re the "F"   word....

In 1980  I indented a new F100   from Australia.....I called it "The F truck"...my girls at school   talked about Dad's    "F"   truck...you know where this is heading...!!!!'I had to explain ...in words of one syllable, to the Male teacher...the origin of the "Dad's F truck"  terminology....I explained also how lesser  brands also prefix their  models...(like Dodge and Chevrolet)....It was all ok ...in the finish.....

....as  my "F"   truck....was the epitome of reliability...thus   I get very distressed with those hurtful   comments like "Hardtail "   posted....:angry:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
18 minutes ago, mike newman said:

...its all good  Steve.....:)

,,,I have met Hardtail, a time or two,   ...up in the icy wastes     of Alberta...he's a  good bloke.....just "funnin: with him...

Long story re the "F"   word....

In 1980  I indented a new F100   from Australia.....I called it "The F truck"...my girls at school   talked about Dad's    "F"   truck...you know where this is heading...!!!!'I had to explain ...in words of one syllable, to the Male teacher...the origin of the "Dad's F truck"  terminology....I explained also how lesser  brands also prefix their  models...(like Dodge and Chevrolet)....It was all ok ...in the finish.....

....as  my "F"   truck....was the epitome of reliability...thus   I get very distressed with those hurtful   comments like "Hardtail "   posted....:angry:

Mike

Dad bought a '49 Ford single axle grain truck at an auction in the late '60.  When he bid on it for the last time, someone behind him said "Jesus Christ".  From then on, the truck was known as J.C.

• Haha 3

I will confess, I struggled with it more when younger, wanted to be cool with the dudes around. My conviction/moral compass kicked in, trying to clean up and not teach my children the filth from my dad who was an example of every other word all day long. He cleaned it up if he was in church which wasnt that often. 

I still have demons that come out when I get sideways with something not cooperating when I am struggling to fix it after 19 times of trying to get the nut to start on the threads, im leaning over teh engine, my back is shot, my neck is craming, my arm is raw trying to get it into a place it wont fit, my hand/fingers are cramping, my eyes cant see where my arm/hand is at, sweat is pouring into my eyes and burning, and i drop the nut for the 20th time and i have to climb off the engine and down back under the vehicle adn crawl around to try to find it and the %($*%^ing thing is stuck up in some crevice that isnt visible or known. 

Get kicked by my horse, that will bring out an expletive, burn my arm loading the wood stove, smash the hand/finger with hammer, break a window accidently, u know the random surprises that hit the pocketbook. 

Those are just a few of the demons that show up for me all the time. 

• Like 3

Look at it this way, some swear some don’t, no biggie, don’t sweat the small stuff and in this life most everything is small, life is to short to let someone else’s proclivities bother you, people are people and most everyone is a good person.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, junkandcattle said:

Had mine cleaned up for several years then wound up doing some factory work for a couple of years. I ran a line that had been pieced together from a few discarded pieces. When I quit they were unhappy with my language over the company radio and I told them I had discovered the cause of turrets. As for working cattle I had a neighbor over 3/10ths of a mile away working in his shop overheard the conversation me and the cows were having.

WE HAD A NEIGHBOR HALF

MILE AWAY THAT COULD TALK UP A STORM AT HIS CATTLE.

• Haha 4

I’ve worked in the heavy construction world as an engineer for the last 25 years so I’ve worked with all kinds of great people with “colorful” word choices. On mining superintendent shared the story of his wife asking him why he cussed so much. He replied that if he didn’t the crew wouldn’t know when he was upset. She suggested that he try not cussing for a week. Not surprisingly everyone knew when he was upset even without the cussing and he cleaned up his language going forward. 

That was more than 20 years ago and I’ve done my best to follow his example ever since. 

Dave

• Like 1

I've found with age that nothing makes a person sound less intelligent than excessive cursing. That being said, yes I to am guilty from time to time but I try to keep it out of regular conversation. 

I've also been amazed how that part slides on, that heavy tire lines up with the studs, that cow goes where you wanted her to go, after a good cussing.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Who gets to decide what words are "bad words"?

Only bad one i know is taking the Lords name in vane (or is it vein or is it...well **** i don't know...)

• Like 2

My adult son has taken to calling the cow herd here "The Democrats". With nary one snowflake( or rain when it should be poring, just enough rain to wash nutrients out of old grass and not enough to grow new grass )  and lots of last years dried grass we have feed hay for a very long winter for us. So you that know cows will understand where the political term comes from. ? So Jeff do some deep thinking on those midnight fuel runs for other terms that vail your thoughts from the PC public ? but lets the heifers know how you really feel.? The Shakespeare list looks like a very good start.

The pastor this morning came up with a word that had got him in trouble. But it is in sign language as he has a deaf son. ? The sign is one this crowd will not find offensive( at least I hope not, and if you do to bad) but in PC California it has gotten kids kicked out of school.  The sign for the number 21 is pointing your in index finger (like it was a gun) and then move your thumb up and down twice.  So it can look like your shooting and cocking the hammer.   Had older woman very mad that his teenage son was shooting her as they were in line in a store.

All things in moderation....discretion when you could have more audience than you know. I drove combine for fellow that did not curse a lot but could let you know when thing had gone wrong. But then many times commented on his competitor that was a very holler than thou type, O'l Herb he just whistles and sings when thing go wrong. So if you never ever utter a bad word, not even a heck or darn  some will know your not normal.?

• Like 1