Neat item on Purple Wave

It says government auction.   SO was this some sort of military item?   Anybody know the backstory on this.  Its so weird its cool!

18 hours ago, IHRedRyan said:

How does it steer ? 

Had a newer version in shop once. Tractor was a 574 as I recall. Steered like any other articulated. Two cylinders and a steering hand pump. This appears to have just a directional control valve instead of hand pump. Much like my Galion t3g roller.

2 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

It says government auction.   SO was this some sort of military item?   Anybody know the backstory on this.  Its so weird its cool!

I HAVE CONNECTION TO THIS AUCTION.

A government auction at this auction are items being sold off by some Government Agency, a Transit District or School District is a Government Agency on this site. 

Lots of old/odd equipment listed from that area of the US.

I have found their site to very entertaining. I have spent far more than I should have with them and they have been good to work with.

Whatever goes into the bed must be smaller and not bulky as the dump in the rear looks like a grain gate.

If they filled that with pea rock, that 300 couldn't pull it.

Not exactly sure what it is, but if closer, I would buy it as an IH conversation piece.

Looks pretty "COOL" to me!

Anybody know what this is supposed to do?

That would make a cool field roller.

Faded City of Cawker City decals and being sold by them. 

The tool box on it looks like one of  the optional large frame mount tool boxes that you could get as a accessory on the 56 series.  Interesting how that made it on to that. 

Used to own a 300 utility backhoe. The steering was so worn out you drove it with brakes. All steering parts are NLA. Any one wanting a "project" should jump right on it. I would have to say you would find out that rig is just a bucket of rust tractor and all