Magnum wiring diagram

I bought a European 7220 that has the flashers on a separate switch from the light switch, and a second flasher unit as well.      I want to make the turn signal flasher unit "talk to"/override the independent flasher switch.  Ideally I'd do away with the extra switch and have it set up like a NA magnum.   I emailed peaceful creek about a service manual but I don't have one yet. 

Turn signal flasher combo and light switch are the same PN as the NA models so I think it should just be a matter of getting the wires going the right place. I'll add the flashers up on the cab roof as well as I go through this.   

So I wondered if any of you guys out there have the schematic for the lights/dash wiring.         If someone happened to have the Euro books with them it would be interesting to compare the 2 but the euro isn't the one I need.

Thanks 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Super A_sepa said:

I want to make the turn signal flasher unit "talk to"/override the independent flasher switch.  Ideally I'd do away with the extra switch and have it set up like a NA magnum. 

So, help me out here..... the EU model has a separate switch for the flashers, and a turn signal switch.  And you want to change it how?  I'm not following.  What is the problem, or what is it you don't like about the way it is?  

Personally, I hate that most tractors don't have a separate flasher switch.  Anyone who's ever roaded a tractor with a large implement at knight understands why. 

3 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

So, help me out here..... the EU model has a separate switch for the flashers, and a turn signal switch.  And you want to change it how?  I'm not following.  What is the problem, or what is it you don't like about the way it is?  

Personally, I hate that most tractors don't have a separate flasher switch.  Anyone who's ever roaded a tractor with a large implement at knight understands why. 

It has a switch on the side of the dash where the Shutdown Override switch is that controls the flashers.

It has a turn signal switch in the same place as normal.

But if you have your flashers on and want to signal a left turn you have to turn the flasher rocker switch off, flip the turn signal, make the turn, turn off the signal, and then flip the flasher switch back on. 

I would like it to work that when you turn the turn signal on that it flashes the one side and holds the other like normal to make it that the flasher switch has to be turned off and on. 

I do like that the flashers can be on all the time regardless of the work lights and would leave it that way if there is a simple way to do that and make the turn signal function normally. 

1 hour ago, Super A_sepa said:

But if you have your flashers on and want to signal a left turn you have to turn the flasher rocker switch off, flip the turn signal, make the turn, turn off the signal, and then flip the flasher switch back on. 

I can't imagine it was designed that way.  Sounds more like something has been rewired or not working as it should.  

When you try and use the turn signals with the flashers on, it doesn't hold the non turn direction light on? How does it act when the flashers are off?  Normal I assume? 

This should be a fairly easy switch.  I am almost certain it all goes through the turn signal switch.  That is how flashers work on literally every switch I have ever seen, regardless of the machine.  Equipment, automotive, heavy truck.  I'm betting you have a faulty turn signal switch or someone has been rewiring.

I don't use turn signals in tractors.  No one pays any attention to them. I literally don't think they know that when one light stays solid and the other blinks it means you are turning. 

2 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

I can't imagine it was designed that way.  Sounds more like something has been rewired or not working as it should.  

When you try and use the turn signals with the flashers on, it doesn't hold the non turn direction light on? How does it act when the flashers are off?  Normal I assume? 

I can assure you that is typical for how the flashers work on a European CIH tractor of that vintage.  The 4 way flashers override the directional signal, not the other way around.  Why they did that I do not know.  Really stupid IMO.  My solution is to tell drivers to leave the 4 ways off and rely on the strobe for road travel, then the flashers will signal a turn.  In truth I would prefer to do that on my NA tractors as well as my feeling is that most motorists do not see the flashers change from SMV to signaling a turn.  I was told by a highway patrol officer that just having an amber strobe on satisfies legal requirements for tractor road travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I can assure you that is typical for how the flashers work on a European CIH tractor of that vintage.  The 4 way flashers override the directional signal, not the other way around.  Why they did that I do not know.  Really stupid IMO.  My solution is to tell drivers to leave the 4 ways off and rely on the strobe for road travel, then the flashers will signal a turn.  In truth I would prefer to do that on my NA tractors as well as my feeling is that most motorists do not see the flashers change from SMV to signaling a turn.  I was told by a highway patrol officer that just having an amber strobe on satisfies legal requirements for tractor road travel.

It seems odd to us but maybe they had a good reason to do it over there. I have no idea what it could be. 

It would seem like it should be simple enough that it's a matter of moving a wire from here to there but I don't have a schematic to compare to.

It does have a working beacon that is bright and should be enough to get people's attention.  This tractor will probably spend a fair amount of time on the road and I may not be the one running it so I wanted it to be simple and functional.

1 hour ago, Gearclash said:

1 hour ago, Super A_sepa said:

It seems odd to us but maybe they had a good reason to do it over there. I have no idea what it could be. 

It would seem like it should be simple enough that it's a matter of moving a wire from here to there but I don't have a schematic to compare to.

It does have a working beacon that is bright and should be enough to get people's attention.  This tractor will probably spend a fair amount of time on the road and I may not be the one running it so I wanted it to be simple and functional.

I think it's all because of the regulations in european countries. I assume they have height requirements for the flashers and even the headlights as they had the extra ones in the grill also. The wiring is definitely all different as they have beltline flashers and no roof lights for flashing. I agree that a strobe is way more important than flashers . 

The roof lites are there on most euro tractors but there are no bulbs or holes for the lite sockets. Euros are the same as your car or truck, turn the 4ways on and your turn signals do not work. I’ve got 2 MX240s one NA the other euro. When pulling wagons got to remember to shutdown the 4ways to signal a turn with the eruo. Almost forgot my euro also has brake lites and hydraulic trailer brake connection  

John