Stuck 358 German

A neighbor of mine has a 358 out of a 1420 that is stuck he is trying to sell me. Says he's going to pull the pan and see what things look like. I don't need it but am kind of intrigued. What kind of money is fair, scrap, more? I'm sure an overhaul would be pretty spendy. What about the pump/governor? Would they work in a tractor?

It wil cost you somewhere around 1250 dollar for a major engine overhaul: https://www.tractorpartsdirect.com/International-D358-Major-Engine-Overhaul 

This basically makes you engine brand new and all gaskets etc are included. I've no clue what pump and injector overhaul would cost if necessary. On tractorhouse, used combine blocks go for 4 or 5k, so I reckon a completely overhauled engine would bring around 8k??

If you neighbour doesn't want a lot of money and you have got the time for this, why not?

5 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

It wil cost you 1250 dollar for a major engine overhaul: https://www.tractorpartsdirect.com/International-D358-Major-Engine-Overhaul 

This basically makes you engine brand new and all gaskets etc are included. I've no clue what pump and injector overhaul would cost if necessary. On tractorhouse, used combine blocks go for 4 or 5k, so I reckon a completely overhauled engine would bring around 8k??

If you neighbour doesn't want a lot of money and you have got the time for this, why not?

caveat emptor  oem is gone,

be very carefull as most everything it 3x marked up china ^%&^% reliance  and needs 4x checked in every step

• Like 1
1 minute ago, mmi said:

caveat emptor  oem is gone,

be very carefull as most everything it 3x marked up china ^%&^% reliance  and needs 4x checked in every step

Just have a little confidence in them Asians ?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Farmall 1466 said:

the little...... is 4x check before tossing back,reference the monthly posts on this

Do you need a 358 engine? Probably would be a way to go if you have a home for it... IE a tractor that doesn't have a salvageable engine.

If you are just going to do it to try to make some money, there's probably better options. 

Stuck as in locked up or stuck as in been sitting?? If it's been hot and you need a crankshaft they get spendy. Thats the most expensive engine to overhaul ih made in 6cyl. I just did my 310 and between head work and all I think I'm around 4k. And I didnt have to do line boreing on camshaft. I took it down for liner leaking and it had been overhauled before. I had record of it. 

22 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Thats the most expensive engine to overhaul ih made in 6cyl. I just did my 310 and between head work and all I think I'm around 4k. And I didnt have to do line borein

quality kit cant be that $

I guess an engine could be overhauled for the price of a parts kit BUT it has been my experience that the parts kits are less than 1/2 of an overhaul final cost. Our little D179 cost us around $4K with me doing the removal tear down, and reassembly and testing AND that did not include a Bosh injection rebuild/seal.  The Neuss engine requires line boring the cam bearings, that alone ended up around $300. Don't overlook a good valve job. If you do not have access to a free machine shop, they get $100 +. per hr in this area for machine work.  A real eye opener is the cost of a turbocharger for a Cummins ISC engine, or the electronic fuel injection system!

AND  ABOVE ALL a "stuck engine" could be a pile of practically useless  scrap metal.  Personally, I would have to tear down and verify prior to an offer if I needed an engine.

Good luck with your project!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mmi said:

quality kit cant be that $

The kit is the cheap part. I had more money in my head than I did in the kit pretty much. Throw in a clutch, oil pump, cooler, and other assorted things it adds up quick. It's my opinion these engines are only as good as the head sitting on top. Mine starts down in single digits. I also paid machine shop to mic all other components and fit wrist pins etc. I assembled all of it. 

7 hours ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

756 gas swap?

That would be the possibility. Just toying with this, if it's cheap enough, who knows? I may like the 301 gas well enough I don't want to change it.

Just overhauled ours in '17. O/H kit, injection pump, injectors, head job and complete engine rebuilt was around $3k. Do as you wish, but $1500 ain't gonna cut it.

5 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

The kit is the cheap part. I had more money in my head than I did in the kit pretty much. Throw in a clutch, oil pump, cooler, and other assorted things it adds up quick. It's my opinion these engines are only as good as the head sitting on top. Mine starts down in single digits. I also paid machine shop to mic all other components and fit wrist pins etc. I assembled all of it. 

"quality" USA kits IF FOUND are $1500+ for 4 cyl gas  

all work and MANY x the bearings are extra

10 hours ago, Farmall 1466 said:

Already just have a little confidence in them.?

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, pirlbeck said:

I may be wrong, but I am thinking a D358 is too tall to go into a 706/756. 

A few donor parts can solve that issue. 

56 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

A few donor parts can solve that issue. 

I thought the fuel tank and steering column support was taller on the 8X6 series. Basically that the the hood/sheet metal sat higher.

What are the few parts you are referring to? 

1 hour ago, pirlbeck said:

I thought the fuel tank and steering column support was taller on the 8X6 series. Basically that the the hood/sheet metal sat higher.

What are the few parts you are referring to? 

The dash supports will need changed.

14 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The dash supports will need changed.

I don't see how you can JUST change the dash supports........if you move the dash up you are going to need different shifter vertical shafts, steering lines and other linkage and then the radiator support is going need changed or raised up too.

All true.  I did not elaborate fully.  A donor 856 or 826 gear drive will provide everything you need.  Not sure how much more clearance the 358 needs compared to the 310 in a 756.  Maybe someone has found a method without raising the dash....

7 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

All true.  I did not elaborate fully.  A donor 856 or 826 gear drive will provide everything you need.  Not sure how much more clearance the 358 needs compared to the 310 in a 756.  Maybe someone has found a method without raising the dash....

So if you have a donor 826 just put the engine in that.

5 minutes ago, jass1660 said:

So if you have a donor 826 just put the engine in that.

Salvage yard shopping list was my thinking.....