Feeding beleage, drunk cows?

I started feeding my first baleage. Its sudan/sorghum.

Cutting the wrap off wasn't as hard as i thought. Luckily I have a brush pile handy.

I am trying to unroll it but I'm having troubles. Its so sticky it won't unroll unless I get down and tear it off each turn.

It smells kinda likes wine. It has some white stuff here and there that my wife thinks is mushrooms starting.

The cows love it but after eating baleage, some of the cows act drunk. 

Does this all sound normal?

I really don't know what I'm doing and baleage is rare round here.

Thx-Ace 

Photo0595.jpg

Only incentive I can think of for going vegan?

Pre marinated beef should be worth more

Feed must be fermenting 

• Haha 1

Guys around here will wrap sudan grass, I haven't heard of a problem.  Say the cows love it.  I don't have an answer for your problem.   After a good freeze swans will dig holes in the spud hill to the liquefied spud,slurp it up and act a little goofy especially when walking/takeoff.

Were there any holes in the wrap? 

• Like 1

No holes in the wraps that I saw.

A friend of a friend was known to steal silage liquor from a dairy to get drunk... 

Thx-Ace 

• Haha 1

your doing good for first go around.

mold ...

a. too long setting /traveling before wrapped ,under 3hr and 3-8 mile < 10 mph

b too dry /loose

c must have minimum 3 wraps ( + - 30 spins)

d within 2 hrs of wrap must be placed and not moved or rodent attack until used

drunk is usually too wet and fermented (to much air but not full out)

when we had silage troughs there were 3 drunks that waited every morning to lap up the squezins

think if EVERY one was frozen solid with ice between layers x 8 day

Only things that come to mind are listeriosis (spelling??) And or nitrate poison.  In an inline wrapper I have found white mold to be fairly normal in between bales where air pockets are found. They are nothing much to be concerned IMO. Now a full blown moldy bale is. Just Google both things I mentioned and keep an eye out for symptoms. In my experience if it smells good it is good. Rule of thumb of coarse. If it was ensiled right you shouldnt have to worry unless maybe your cows are a little poor for example maybe the nitrates could be messing with them at first??? I'm certainly no vet, but by the sounds of things your baleage is fine. A sample test is about $15 If your wondering. I look for ph under 5 and nitrate levels. Ensiling process kills both if done correctly. 

I don't the its nitrate, it wasn't fertilized prior to this cutting but is naturally moderate in fertility, flood prone bottom land.

They are getting one baleage and two hay each day. I unroll the baleage and leave the hay whole.

Thx-Ace 

22 minutes ago, acem said:

I don't the its nitrate, it wasn't fertilized prior to this cutting but is naturally moderate in fertility, flood prone bottom land.

They are getting one baleage and two hay each day. I unroll the baleage and leave the hay whole.

Thx-Ace 

That's the way I do it too. Works well for me. They will lick up every stitch of baleage and then beg a little before finally walking to the dry bales but I feel this way works much better for me. When we go to full out baleage and run out they arent happy at all for a while. I just feel like anything I gained by feeding it is lost if we run out and try to switch back to dry hay. Normally by spring when they are wanting the grass and I'm still holding them in winter lot is a great time to finish out my baleage. 

18 minutes ago, acem said:

I forgot to mention the silage is warm inside the bale. Not hot but warmer than the outside temperature.

I think that's normal. Hot would indicate air intrusion into bale. I know when I'm feeding it the middle is always warmer than the outside where net is. I suppose it insulates itself. I fed down to 0 this year and the net was a little froze right on the edges but came off. 

We never unrolled any wet or dry bales either. Temperature in the center might be similar to temperature when harvested as this is how it is with a silage bunker. If you think about it the forage insulates the center of the pile/bale pretty well from change in temperature

Cows just wanna have fun!

• Haha 1

782B7389-8010-43CD-A1A2-16BC35803EE0.thumb.jpeg.76be094b8c1541b6ee88e4451703004b.jpegI did a survey. Six out of the eight cows preferred my dry hay to the baleage with one preferring the baleage, one undecided!

I had bought three bales to try. It had a unique but good smell and looked really nice. I planned to buy more but the cows just didn’t take to it.

• Thanks 1

I make Wrapped Green- Fermented.

Wrapped Dry- Not Fermented

Dry stored not wrapped

That is also the order that they are consumed by the cattle. Funny how they usually don't prefer the Fermented bales until the weather turns cold. (Green Pasture dies. )

Eat the unwrapped dry bales along with Pasture up to that point. When they switch to Wrapped Preferred they only eat dry hay when all the Wrapped Bales are not availble. 

I always have wrapped and dry available to them.  Keeps them Fat and Happy and gaining weight. 

I also keep a Protein mineral tub available. 

I dont worry about the white Mold. They eat it.  I was told Orange or Blue Mold should be removed. 

6 hours ago, acem said:

I started feeding my first baleage. Its sudan/sorghum.

Cutting the wrap off wasn't as hard as i thought. Luckily I have a brush pile handy.

I am trying to unroll it but I'm having troubles. Its so sticky it won't unroll unless I get down and tear it off each turn.

It smells kinda likes wine. It has some white stuff here and there that my wife thinks is mushrooms starting.

The cows love it but after eating baleage, some of the cows act drunk. 

Does this all sound normal?

I really don't know what I'm doing and baleage is rare round here.

Thx-Ace 

Photo0595.jpg

I made a bunch of my own this year too, it's common around here.  Just getting into mine as I used the dry hay up first as I needed the barn space. 

I use a sharp utility knife to cut wrap off, can get the strings and wrap in one pass if lucky. 

If I need to peel some off the bale, the same utility knife can be used to slice the layers off.  I've found the dryer bales peel easily, wetter ones do stick. 

Sweet smell is fine. 

Some white mold isn't unusual. 

I did 18 wraps (4 layers) of 30" on the majority of my 4x4s, no issues yet.  Everything was wrapped within 2-3 hours of baling except one batch that was 18 hours later and it's all been fine.  

I did a bunch of stuff that had a 40% moisture stuff with 24 wraps (6 layers) of 30"  , sampled one bale and it was fine

My beef cows have been on a sundangrass baleage only diet for 3 months or more with no issues.  My sudangrass baleage has a unique smell to it different from regular grass baleage.  If it is made and managed right I feel there is little risk of nitrate posioning.  I think the guidelines are never over fertilize with nitrogen beyond 1 unit per projected growing day and never harvest until x amount of days after a killing frost.  It sounds like yours was made pretty wet.  Mine is not sticky at all.  I would think if you can get it dryer next time it will unroll better.  Lots of varieties out there making it impossible to compare.  I am growing what is called a dry stem variety that dries down quick.

All the sorghum Sudan grass we have wrapped has had a fermented smell when we open it. Shouldn't be prussic acid as the ensiling process is supposed to break down the prussic acid. Never had drunk cows off of it and we have wrapped soaking wet before trying to beat a rain. A little white mold is normal on the outside where there were some trapped air pockets. Shouldn't go into the bale though