So..... the radiator in our trusty old 806 D sprung a leak.  Took it to the radiator shop to get checked and it’s shot.  No surprise for a 60 year old part. 

The radiator guy said it would be 800-1000 to recore it.  Said he would just get a good aftermarket one, which brings up the question of which is the best.  I’ve dealt with shitty aftermarket radiators before.  And really don’t want a piece of tin foil thats shaped like a radiator.  A&I is about 700 at the local small IH dealer, and other aftermarket ones can be found online for under 500.  
Currently leaning towards A&I but definitely open to opinions!!

thank you all for your input!

4 minutes ago, Bdse25 said:

So..... the radiator in our trusty old 806 D sprung a leak.  Took it to the radiator shop to get checked and it’s shot.  No surprise for a 60 year old part. 

The radiator guy said it would be 800-1000 to recore it.  Said he would just get a good aftermarket one, which brings up the question of which is the best.  I’ve dealt with shitty aftermarket radiators before.  And really don’t want a piece of tin foil thats shaped like a radiator.  A&I is about 700 at the local small IH dealer, and other aftermarket ones can be found online for under 500.  

Sorry for your troubles I know its not easy finding good quality radiators anymore for older machinery . I've actually had pretty good luck using after market ones thou , I get the aftermarket ones from Radiator Group inc and had very good luck but in the end that will be your choice good luck

38 minutes ago, mjcolemn said:

Personally if the tanks are good I'd put a new core in the original one, the aftermarket ones usually aren't as good.

X2 

I always recore if possible. Keeps my radiator guy in business and keeps my equipment more reliable. We had an aftermarket Case xt radiator and it was always shaking apart . Added extra braces similar to the factory ones and it still doesn't last half as long as a factory one 

2 hours ago, bitty said:

X2 

I always recore if possible. Keeps my radiator guy in business and keeps my equipment more reliable. We had an aftermarket Case xt radiator and it was always shaking apart . Added extra braces similar to the factory ones and it still doesn't last half as long as a factory one 

Bitty who do you use.  It’s currently at marko in Shenandoah. We also thought of taking it to Cissioni in Hazleton 

36 minutes ago, Bdse25 said:

Bitty who do you use.  It’s currently at marko in Shenandoah. We also thought of taking it to Cissioni in Hazleton 

Melcot radiator in Selinsgrove . Used a place in doylestown pa when we lived down there . Marko did one for our 977 cat back in the day

I have don't have any radiator repair shops close to me anymore nearest one is 80 miles away  , Its a very dangerous job two older gents that used to do it years ago got cancer from it and no-one wanted to take over , Last time I knew even when you get one recored its still poor quality china junk and then you better make sure its done right 

Have no idea of quality or where it was bought, but it's in a 1566 i bought a few months ago

KIMG0501.JPG

I just got a radiator recored for a 706, $685 but I don’t want a $500 aftermarket piece of $hit that will be leaking 2 days after warranty is off.  The same guy that did the 706 radiator did one for my 856 last summer, and summer before that my 1066. $650-$690 a piece, but well worth it!! He even told me, stay away from aftermarket radiators!! 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, 856 Custom said:

Have no idea of quality or where it was bought, but it's in a 1566 i bought a few months ago

KIMG0501.JPG

They might be a good one but I can't remember. Problem is probably 95% of the places offering an aftermarket one wants to buy as cheap as possible to make more money. 

I may have one that’s used but like brand new. It’s brass has built in cooler as well . Send me the measurements of your old one and I’ll check the one I have and let you know the size of it and will send pics. Will let it go for 200

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Long Farms said:

I always have liked and had good luck with Northern Radiators. $500 range.  

Have 3 things running around with Northern Radiators, no issues from them at all.  

Did a cheap aluminum aftermarket from EBAY on my 656 gasser rebuild after I ruined the original from a acid rinse.  I will keep the old one just in case, I only worry about going over rough ground and cracking it.  The aluminum one is a nice piece for the money.  Although it does not see too much rough ground but if it does the old one will be record.

5 hours ago, Long Farms said:

I always have liked and had good luck with Northern Radiators. $500 range.  

1 hour ago, Cdfarabaugh said:

Have 3 things running around with Northern Radiators, no issues from them at all.  

That’s good to know!! I’m not sure how long my radiator guy will be around!! 

14 hours ago, Bdse25 said:

A&i is 445 for the 806

7 hours ago, Thesd5488 said:

A&i is 445 for the 806

I am 90% sure our junk skid loader radiator was sourced from A&I ...

Radiator in the 856 sprung a leak last summer. It was a CLANCY.

In getting the radiator out, two of the welded nuts on the side panels broke loose, forcing us to grind the heads off the bolts to get the old radiator out. Whoever installed the radiator DID use anti-seize.

Put an ebay aftermarket radiator in. Seemed well built, was just as heavy as the Clancy. It fit well, no tweaking required.

With the ebay radiators, they're all the same so it pays to search out the best deal. Some charge $400 with free shipping, some charge $700 and charge for shipping, but they're the SAME radiator. You get nothing more for your extra $300 and change.

I never heard of a Clancy radiator till I took the left hood panel off that 1566. That "Red Power" edition 1586 i had someone put a Northern in that. We had it on the cultimulcher first spring I had it. Made about 2 rounds and it let go. Bottom tank separated at the seam. Took it to the radiator guy in Lima, he said the seam was made to fold the wrong way. Said he took his time and went all the way around and bent it the right way and re soldered it. He said it looks like a well made radiator overall, just the seams made wrong. I've always got mine re-cored too but sometimes people don't have that luxury unfortunately. Pretty much all aftermarket ones aren't good. Period.

Still fortunate to have a local old school shop that son took over from the old man and hasn’t changed a thing, surprised OH&S hasn’t enforced change, think he has a till but no interac and a pen written receipt, give him business whenever I can but not often, think the only way he stays in business is big city mafia making a dinner for two reservation late at night in darkness after closed