Pickup for pulling fifth wheel and gooseneck

Ok let’s start the debate we are in market for new truck we have a crew cab long bed now and it’s on it’s last leg so we started looking.   My question is long bed or short bed?   We must have crew cab for hauling the kids but wife wants a short bed so it’s easier for her to drive so only thing up for debate is the long/short bed we are getting 3/4 srw  to pull 20’ eby gooseneck and 28’ fifth wheel camper

many other questions I’ll answer best as I know

I have 3/4 ton 2019 F-250 6.2 gas short bed second one I've had, Haul gooseneck flat bed 10,000  payload. love it 8-9 MPG loaded  14-15 MPG just the truck

It all depends on “your” use.    Will you have clearance for turning???    Everyone says just be careful and the next thing you know the cab is crunched!!     They do make offset hitches so that is an option.    The longbox is harder to find in my area so that limits options unless buying new.   

I am having the same issue here.

I currently have an 8 foot box and I can find the shorter boxes much easier.

One thing that I like about the 8 foot box is that I can pull a gooseneck trailer AND have my fuel tank in the bed at the same time.  I do not think that I could do that with a short box, but maybe a different tank would make that possible.

Have had both. Last 3 have been crew cab short bef and work fine. I only pull gooseneck so don't know about the camper. Lot of them rolling down the highway short bed pulling a camper though. 

I currently have a CCLB because the SB doesn’t really fit my needs for a truck, they are longer and parking spaces have all gotten narrower and shorter over the years, your wife’s point is valid, all my trailers are bumper pull, my holiday trailer being 53’ long combined with truck makes for a long rig, the longer the wheelbase truck will make backing up slower to respond but GN is better in that regard, I had a hard time finding a LB truck and if it weren’t for my needs would go SB for sure, to be clear 6’6” is what I still call SB I think they call that standard now and short is 5’?

We have/had both on the farm, and as far pulling I don't see any difference. Same trucks, same trailer, no noticeable difference towing. One thing with the long box is gotta be a little more careful if going over sharp hills or through ditches as the back of the long box gets a little close to touching the neck of the trailer sooner than the short box. That said some trailers you gotta watch between the cab and trailer when turning sharp, but we have never had the trailer touch the cab yet, and that's pulling camper and 7.5' wide cattle trailer. You just know it's there and get used to it. If you're never filling the full box up all the time then the 6.6 box is fine. If you have a slip tank or toolbox or both then you'll wish you had a long box. Although there are shorter tank/toolbox combos that work fine with the rail type hitches, but you still lose that room for anything else

We had just been looking for another crew cab long box, but anything we found was either new price or beat up so bad, so we finally settled on a crew cab short box. Down to one long box truck now here but like I said they all pull the same

10 minutes ago, 756puller said:

Best thing I ever did was put a flatbed on mine. To me it makes it alot move versatile.

X2

With the boxes on these new trucks being so deep, you really have to be careful that you don't get the bed into the neck of the trailer.  I have had a 2015 crew cab short bed and now have a 2020 super cab short bed for work, pull a gooseneck weekly if not daily, I like the short bed.

On the flip side, if it were my personal truck, I would prefer a long bed, you can actually haul something in an 8' bed.  Seems like the long beds ride better also.

• Like 2

Long box is the only way to go...

My current dream is crewcab 84' cab axle (11 foot bed) cab and chassis I need more space...

I have a 2016 f150 crew cab with 6 and a half foot bed. B&W gooseneck ball. I pull a '33 camper with it. My stepson had a 2012 f150 crew cab with what nowadays is considered a short box. I think its a 5 and a half foot box? It did fine with the same camper. You did have to watch it sometimes on steep grades while turning. That said it never hit the cab. Dad has a 2017 f350 stw and pulls the same camper. He has a 6 and a half foot box. No issues pulling our '30 flatbed or the camper.

To be clear, any truck/trailer combination can have a cab/hitch collision if turned or jackknifed far enough around. For the LB this is further around than the SB obviously. There are numerous extended hitches/ sliding couplers etc that will work well. Personally I don't need a LB for hauling. I have trailers for anything over 8-10 feet. I have pulled the fifth wheel camper and gooseneck flatbed with two different SB trucks with zero issues. 

Honestly if you have your trailer jackknifed far enough to hit while backing up you need to pull up and start over. I don't care to be that hard on the axles while loaded. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

you can actually haul something in an 8' bed

My issue exactly. My equipment trailer is bumper pull and with an extended cab LB it isn't as convenient nor is parallel parking but I can put sheet rock or plywood in and shut the tailboard.

• Like 1

We've had short box pickups for 15 years now and it never really bothers.  You can't turn short enough going forward to get the nose into the cab and if you're backing up you're watching anyway and our stock trailers have wide noses.

51 minutes ago, mader656 said:

Long box is the only way to go...

My current dream is crewcab 84' cab axle (11 foot bed) cab and chassis I need more space...

My thoughts too.  Guess it's all what you get used to.  I thought 45 ft trailers were long until one day I spotted an extendable trailer stretched out over 80 ft long with some fabricated rafters for a construction project at FARMALL.

Like everyone here states their preference that is exactly what it is, your preference due to your needs and usage. My current truck is 8 foot, it’s also a dooley, my needs follow with my 9.5 foot camper, which gives me comfortable travel and my lights aren’t looking for bombers when night driving. My kid goes shortbox because his camper tent sits on the box with a framework, also if mrs. Jesse prefers the shorty and it fits your demands that is a slam dunk.

Always had long beds until my Dodge got totalled a couple of years ago. Couldn't find a comparable long bed so went with a 2002 2500HD xcab 6.0 short bed. Gooseneck is a 24' 14k. Heaviest thing I have had on it is the JD2355MFWD with loader and loaded tires. The truck struggles a bit powerwise on hills but has no trouble handling it. 6mpg towing, 14-15 empty.  I have a toolbox on the truck too, and no problems with interference. It was a pain hooking up at first, then my friend suggested using those magnetic things with the yellow balls that people use for hitch trailers. I cut a little slot in the bedliner just ahead of the B&W hitch hole and stick one of them there. Then just back up until the front of the gooseneck touches the ball. Lines up perfect every time.

Most fifth wheel campers you need 52" from cab to king pin hitch so you won't  crush cab. They do make an extended fifth wheel, but some you need to remember to extend before turning. Goose neck won't  be a problem.

Longer wheelbase will always ride smoother but probably marginally given the difference, I would go SB if it would work for you, for me it doesn’t but I would if I could 

My experience is longer the truck better it rides.  If I was going to get a 6.5 bed it would be a crew cab for the extra length so it would ride better.  My 2019 F250 regular cab long box does not ride well empty, wife is always complaining.    Load it full of fire wood rides great.  My 02 f250 extended cab 8 foot box rode much better but springs were probably about shot and that truck  was 1200 less GVW.  My experience is Chevy is a softer ride than Fords but IMHO a ford carries the load better.