outdoor wood furnace/boiler recommendations

I have a a Portage and Main, which are made in Saskatchewan Canada. It is a very well built unit, I really like it. It has 2 different inlet/outlets at the back, I'm using one side for the house, water heater, and 50,000 hanging heater in the garage. When I get my shop built, the other leg will go to heat that. Mine is not a gasification stove. It  is very heavy though, 2800 pounds dry, so it made it very hard for fine adjustments when setting it unless you have some big equipment. It has a draft inducer to stoke it up if it is calling for more heat, but it rarely runs. It seems to be very good on wood, although I've never actually kept track of it, maybe next winter. 

On 3/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, lightninboy said:

Is there any truth that the government hurt Central Boiler with regulations a few years ago?

Not sure they targeted them directly, but the EPA set standards in place that went into effect in 2014 and again in 2020. Efficiency went up and emissions went down when each mandate went into effect. New solid fuel appliances are way more efficient than those of years past but are very finicky on fuel source, atmospheric pressure planes, and chimney designs/installations. They are now so touchy that we as a HVAC-R/Hearth Shop are seriously looking into dropping all wood burning stoves and inserts. You may get 40% to 50% more heat out of a cord of wood on a EPA2020 stove but they just don't draft like they used to. So much heat is rejected into the living space that very little heat is left to effect a proper draft in the chimney system.

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 3:18 PM, Jesse in WI said:

Thanks for the heads up on this. I had no idea.

Looks like this one is worth looking into.

I KNOW THE PEOPLE THAT OWN IT. THE KID DESIGNS THEM, HAVE BEEN FOR YEARS.

• Like 1