outdoor wood furnace/boiler recommendations

I have a Taylor T750 outdoor wood furnace that is on it's last leg and has sprung a leak in about the least convenient location. It was made in 1995 so it's outlived its life expectancy. 

I am unable to get another Taylor as it seems they have cut their production way down and our dealer died last year. 

I am looking for suggestions on what experiences you guys have with other brands. I have a dealer that sells/services HeatMaster near me so I've gotten a price from him. All these other furnaces are different than the Taylors based on the fact that they are pressurized systems where the Taylor is an open system. 

We are heating our house and our domestic hot water with what we have now and the Taylor has no problem keeping things warm.

We have Garn, it is a gasifier type which is much more efficient than other type and no smoke. Yes they are more costly but you will make up the difference in wood consumed. We had a Heatmor before and when we switched to the Garm we saved six cord of wood per year. Look the Garn up they have videos there and one of them is about Ernies Garn. He's had his since 96 and running well. I maintain his, clean the flues once a year.No creosote ever to bother with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have a Central Boiler. We heat a 1000 square foot house and domestic hot water and a 50X60X16 shop. I did use the gas furnace to help keep up when the temperature went below 10* for a couple days. With that said, I have probably burned about 5-6 cords of wood so far this winter.

I have had two central boilers, one at my old house that still going and that’s a 2000 model and the one at my now house which is eight years old. I had really great luck with them. 

How big are the doors? The thing I like best about the Taylor is the door is almost 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall. Whatever you can lift into the firebox can fit in there. Having this option really cuts down on how much wood needs to be split and how small it needs to be split.

My first central boiler lasted 17 years.  Picked up another central boiler classic 2 years ago that had been used very little.  I have 3 chimneys on it and burn only dry wood and don’t really think the smoke is all that bad.  Its bigger than my first one and does a really nice job heating the house.  I hear the new gasification style are much more efficient and much more reliable that the first emissions ones on the market.  My door is close to 2x3.  I can burn 36 inch long wood.  

I have a 1995 Mahoning . Your Taylor is probably more efficient. My brother just installed a new one but I don't remember what brand. His is efficient

I have two woodmaster boilers. One I bought used in 2019 to replace my existing one that was leaking, and the other is my old one that I repaired that is on stand by for when something happens to the one I use now. They have the blower so it can handle a little wetter wood, it actually seems to do better on it. They also have a round Firebox which from what I was told will resist cracking at the seams because it will heat and expand more even than a square one. I heat my 1000 square feet house and hot water with it. I probably will go through ten or twelve cords this year but I don't have any back up so my season is long.

I also have a central boiler behind my barn that I bought from a neighbor that I was going to use while I fixed my old woodmaster but when I hooked it up it had a leak. I may try and fix it someday.

• Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, TomH said:

Here is some info for comparison of different boilers. All gasification boilers need properly seasoned wood to operate efficiently.

https://www.pickhvac.com/outdoor-wood-furnace/best-brands/

I don't think I want a gasification one then..... I sometimes start to burn the firewood the same day I cut it 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, bitty said:

I don't think I want a gasification one then..... I sometimes start to burn the firewood the same day I cut it 

That’s what I’ve been doing this year, as I was buying wood. Now I’m mixing seasoned and green.

If I understand the law now, if buying brand new you have to buy a gasification stove to just hook to the house. But hooking to a shed you can buy any style of stove. But I’m sure there’s ways around it. Being your in my area your always welcome to come look at mine. 

51 minutes ago, Wi Ih said:

If I understand the law now, if buying brand new you have to buy a gasification stove to just hook to the house. But hooking to a shed you can buy any style of stove. But I’m sure there’s ways around it. Being your in my area your always welcome to come look at mine. 

I think this is dependent on jurisdiction. Township up the line has ALL outside boilers banned ....

Sometimes you can get a different one buying it for "industrial use" instead of "residential"

13 hours ago, TractormanMike.mb said:

I have two woodmaster boilers. One I bought used in 2019 to replace my existing one that was leaking, and the other is my old one that I repaired that is on stand by for when something happens to the one I use now. They have the blower so it can handle a little wetter wood, it actually seems to do better on it. They also have a round Firebox which from what I was told will resist cracking at the seams because it will heat and expand more even than a square one. I heat my 1000 square feet house and hot water with it. I probably will go through ten or twelve cords this year but I don't have any back up so my season is long.

I also have a central boiler behind my barn that I bought from a neighbor that I was going to use while I fixed my old woodmaster but when I hooked it up it had a leak. I may try and fix it someday.

True on the round firebox part of cracking ?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Wi Ih said:

1 hour ago, bitty said:

I think this is dependent on jurisdiction. Township up the line has ALL outside boilers banned ....

Sometimes you can get a different one buying it for "industrial use" instead of "residential"

This is true. Here.  Wood heat is being attacked over particles in the air, we live in a huge bowl and extreme temps cause the air to be still and settle, so PM2.5 particles accumulate. they are outlawing outdoor wood boilers unless certain requirements are met.   They have also outlawed the use of #2 heating oil, non epa certified wood stoves, and non-epa pellet stoves. They can and do fine people, have inspectors driving around looking for smoke, encourage citizens to turn in neighbors and more.   

It really came to a head with a outdoor boiler next to a school, they had way to much boiler, would stuff the stove full and let it smolder, and it filled the school yard with smoke.  Then some idiots were doing the same with coal in town and had lots of smoldering coal smoke and it stank

my advice to everyone is take the time to maintain your equipment and make sure it’s running right

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, Wi Ih said:

The dealer I talked to said this is true with wood only stoves so he recommends getting a multi fuel (wood/coal) stove because they are not restricted the same. To paraphrase the conversation we had: buy a bag of charcoal and leave it near the stove. If anyone says anything just tell them it takes a lot of kindling to get the coal started.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, bitty said:

You definitely don’t want a gasification boiler ???

On 2/26/2021 at 2:18 PM, Jesse in WI said:

How big are the doors? The thing I like best about the Taylor is the door is almost 3 feet wide and 2 feet tall. Whatever you can lift into the firebox can fit in there. Having this option really cuts down on how much wood needs to be split and how small it needs to be split.

What size is yours currently? 

We run Central Boilers. Mainly because of good support from a dealer in the neighborhood and we have had good luck with them. Dad's is either 17 or 18 years old and never had a problem with it.

We run 4 of them. 3 of the 385 gallon ones and one of the 196 gallon ones. The doors get bigger as the unit gets bigger. Hence why I asked.

16 hours ago, Reichow7120 said:

What size is yours currently? 

We run Central Boilers. Mainly because of good support from a dealer in the neighborhood and we have had good luck with them. Dad's is either 17 or 18 years old and never had a problem with it.

We run 4 of them. 3 of the 385 gallon ones and one of the 196 gallon ones. The doors get bigger as the unit gets bigger. Hence why I asked.

Model T-750

» Shipping Weight – 2200 lbs
» Firebox – 36″X28″X32″
» Water Capacity – 550 Gal
» BTU Output per Hour – 165,000 (12 hour burn time)

I run an Earth outdoor boiler. Rancher 365. I heat 1900sq ft older drafty house and water. I have enough capacity to easily heat my shop too but never have done it. I have a forced air in there now. I easily burn 10-12 cord maybe more. BUT, I burn from September through may or june. Sometimes more. I live up on a hill with fields surrounding my house. Once it starts getting real dry and windy I shut it down. Plus fighting snakes for wood isnt my favorite.  I have a large door, and round firebox. It's a very very simple design. I'm not sure what they are doing now for EPA. Mine is not pressurized. It has one loop to the house through plate exchanger above water heater and then to furnace, then back to stove. I also burn most of my wood a couple weeks or less after I cut. Mostly all dead wood, so that contributes to my usage some not having good solid seasoned wood. 

20130913_175156_IMG_0720.JPG

20130913_175143_IMG_0085.JPG

20130914_110913_IMG_0087.JPG

• Like 2
On 2/27/2021 at 6:03 AM, farmall666 said:

CHECK OUT JOHNSON.MADE RIGHT HERE IN WISCONSIN

Thanks for the heads up on this. I had no idea.

Looks like this one is worth looking into.

Started with a Hardy25 years ago or so, bought a Mahoning (more btu) model.  Mahoning has rusted out and repaired / rebuilt twice. Pulled out and bought a cheap Keystone, If and when this one rusts out 1/2 the price of a Mahoning. Wish I bought a Cenral boiler from the start. Neighbors put a central boiler in for 15 plus years. Burns less wood, no control problem or rusting out.   (Pay me now or pay me later)?