Shop lighting

Tmtbob

Looks like I’m gonna get a chance to concrete my barn this year. It’s roughly 40x70 but most of the floor use will be on one end. The original builder put 2 small granaries in one corner that I’ve just been using for storage but I’d like to follow that line the full length of the barn with a loft to keep things off the floor. I have quite a bit of engine parts that are going up top along with my compressor. That would take about 10’ of width but I still need some lights above and below the loft. Underneath the loft would be work benches, tool storage, and welders. Do you guys have any good ideas or experience lighting something like this up. I been trying to come up with ideas and checking out what’s available but I don’t want to be disappointed if I go buy something off the shelf from Lowe’s. 

we have high output LED's and they work good, The state payed for them and payed the install also check with your state they may pay some or all for energy savers

I have a shop light from Walmart over my bench, cost $20. and lights up so and old guy can see. It is not like a 300W light but it also is far cheaper to operate.

There was a whole box of the lights that other day for $16.50 each hang them up and plug them in.

7 minutes ago, oleman said:

I have a shop light from Walmart over my bench, cost $20. and lights up so and old guy can see. It is not like a 300W light but it also is far cheaper to operate.

There was a whole box of the lights that other day for $16.50 each hang them up and plug them in.

That sounds like the lights I was given last birthday. They are LED but look like a small flourescent tube style. Just plug in and hang up or screw to the ceiling. Great light but they sure do knock out the am radio. Just a  buzz of static when that light is on. 

• Sad 1

wait for several of the electricians to quote what customers are demoing .

off the shelf you will be disappointed  from low lite color to actually being able to see,  then soon $$$ or NLA bulbs.

been posted 8-9x everyone is going new style,xyz which are not in the box store or azcam zusoff

last we changed out was HO florescence  as the led were still questionable and did specify faded with age 

15 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

That sounds like the lights I was given last birthday. They are LED but look like a small flourescent tube style. Just plug in and hang up or screw to the ceiling. Great light but they sure do knock out the am radio. Just a  buzz of static when that light is on. 

Yep the lower end of the whole HF spectrum has been destroyed by the noise generating switch mode voltage regulation technologies, and that is PROGRESS?

I done some research on lighting. As a general rule, you’ll need 50-70 lumens per square foot for storage area. For work bench area is like 100-200 lumens, more for task lighting. So a 40 X 70 needs 140K to 196K lumens. If you get 5K lumens you need 28 to 39 lights. I have a 40 X 56 barn for storage. I put up 8 7500 lumens lights which is half of what I should have. I can do general work, but really need more. I’m going to be adding more this year. I also prefer the daylight over the cool light lights. You can also talk to a good electrician for advice. Hope this helps. Mike

• Like 1

One of the important factors you didn't mention is the ceiling height of the barn and ceiling height under your loft. More light is better has been the age old tale, but with led's, too close and too many lumens can make them unbearable. In addition the type of bulb that you want to use will also dictate spacing and total desired output. For example, my preference is to use 5k, frosted LED bulbs. The particular once I purchased were 2200 lumens. My ceiling heights range from 8 to 10ft. After converting all of my existing fixtures from fluorescent to LED, I could easily reduce the number of fixtures by 1/3.

It all helps. Thanks for the opinions.
  It’s a round top quonset barn. It’ll be around 30’ tall. I didn’t measure the height of the loft but it’ll be around 8 to 10. 

Led and put more in than you think you need, to me lights are like shed size never big enough!!!! When I did my shop I put in what they recommended and then Double it on another switch. 

We have tried some different kinds of florescent and LED fixtures at the dairy and in the end I really don’t like any of them.  Florescent - T12 is obsolete pretty much, doesn’t make as much light as other types of luminaries; T8 and T5 both have short lived ballasts.  LED - UFO style fixtures produce a lot of light but are $$$ expensive; 4’ LED fixtures are ok but sure are made cheap.  All of the above are rather a pain to replace when they clunk out.  

At my own place, I have nothing but old fashioned standard base lamp holders most everywhere, and I have had pretty satisfactory results by replacing the old incandescent bulbs with a Y splitter and 2 100W equivalent LED standard base bulbs.  2 100W LED equivalents in the 5000K light color will throw more light than a 300W incandescent, and will last much longer.  One thing to stay away from is any kind of “corncob” style LED.  They don’t last.  

Here are ones I got at Menard for under my loft. They are very bright and only $20 apiece.  Got pullchains on them and you can plug up to 17 together. 

20210227_093249.jpg

20210227_093139.jpg

20210227_093057.jpg

Go LED.

If you don't, you will replace for LED's in the future.

When you get older, you will appreciate the bright light.

And they instant start, no matter how cold it gets.

• Like 2

I bought 8ft LED online, put 5 rows in my shop about 4 foot apart

26570AD1-9694-471B-99CC-0859E1413EF7.thumb.jpeg.8b63ada0ecb6db4e45d37b4ee91230c5.jpeg

this is only half the lights.  I wired with the idea that the lights will go bad. And tried to make changing them reasonable.  I put less than $200 in lights in, and most of my friends say it’s to bright.  It isn’t 

• Like 1

I have 40x40x16 shop that I just converted my 8' t-12's to led. 

I used these lights.  they are very bright and easy to by pass

the ballast.  i put the other lights over my work bench which is

under my loft.  i also install a couple of led lights that are on a

motion detector by the entrance door.

T8 LED 8 Foot (NO RF) 72w R17d Rotating Ends V-Series Dual-Row CLEAR L – Omni-Ray Lighting, Inc.

5000K LED Shop Light Linkable, 4FT Daylight 42W LED Ceiling Lights for Garages, Workshops, Basements, Hanging or FlushMount, with Plug and Pull Chain, 4200lm, ETL- 1 Pack - - Amazon.com

T8 Integrated LED -Motion Sensing – Petersen Parts

good luck!

Duane

5 hours ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Go LED.

If you don't, you will replace for LED's in the future.

When you get older, you will appreciate the bright light.

And they instant start, no matter how cold it gets.

I’m with you hate working in the dark seem to need more light nowadays . I’d put all I could afford.

Paint walls and ceiling white and you can get away with less lighting. Dad has LED's in the new shop. 40x60 with 40'ceiling i think. Ill see if i can find a piccy.

My first tiny shop, 8 ft x 16 ft 7 ft ceiling only had room for one 4 ft flourescent and a bare 100W bulb,  but it taught me to hate flourescent lights. In my new shop, now 25 yrs old I put in standard screw type bulb light fixtures, nine of them in a 24x36 x 8 ft ceiling building, instant on, no flickering, no humming, no buzzing. Cheap replacements, Which are now mostly compact flourescents, more light less electricity.  Places where I work around vices, I have several high intensity flood lights, two 60W bulbs, same thing, instant on, and silent, no flickering.  And I have several led trouble lights for close lighting.  TECHNOLOGY has changed,  4 ft flourescent fixtures with LED's would probably be better.  I don't spend near as much time in the shop as I did 20 yrs ago, what I have now works.

I use 12 - 4ft T5 high intensity shop lights there's six bulbs per light wired on two separate switches   in my 42x75 shop lights it up like daytime stay away from T8's they eat bulbs and Ballasts pretty fast My T'5 been in service 14 yrs and never had to even replace on bulb yet

You can never have enough light. If you need sunscreen then you have 'almost enough'.

LED LED LED.....WHITE WHITE WHITE. I painted the inside of the wood shop white and love it. I hate shadows. Especially since I have only one good eye, I need all the help I can get. As said, the 'daylight' color is my preference as well. Youngest son has some in his shop that are recommended to NOT be lower than 10 feet above the floor. His are right at 10' and it hurts yours eyes to look directly at them. But dam* they are bright. I'll see if I can find out what kind they are. I'm sure the electricians here would know. 

• Like 1

If you aren’t dealing with livestock ir hay/silage storeage the hands down best bang for the buck are keyless porcelain sockets. They are diet cheap, stone simple to install and have been unchanged since Christ was a Corporal. I do not see them going anywhere anytime soon. LED medium base bulbs can be had for sometimes pennies and you can afford to put an obscene number of them in for good light distribution. Just my .02 but for my own unfinished areas i use them and for my customers I strongly encourage them. You can have the whole thing together for under 8 bucks x however many you want 

B932E66F-9300-4344-8D77-06B3AB6B2638.png

93D5F758-2A33-4E05-BB8A-FE66C5D5FD04.png

EFD28B94-33C6-4F58-8FFB-9747E1E6966C.png

• Like 1

VT, 

Dad did that with his new shop, medium base porcelain fixtures, but runs the $35 super LED bulbs from Menards. 10,000 lumens each.  

40x60 shop, all white painted interior,  split 1/2 and 1/2, 4 big bulbs per side/circuit, with 3 down the middle on their own switch for general lighting when not working. 110,000 lumens when they are all on.  Wired so you have a switch for general lighting at every door and switches for east/west Bays at their respective doors.

4' LEDs  over all the work benches.    

Place is lit like a Christmas tree!!!!....and for low $$$.

20210228_125320.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the ideas and help on this. I happened to be in Lowe’s last weekend and wanted to go see what they did have. I’m glad I asked here cause I think I would of been disappointed like a few of you mentioned if I didn’t ask. 
  Now I have another question on the same barn. Maybe I need to start a new thread but I’ll try here first.

The post for the loft I’m building. Should I plant them with concrete like I would a corner post before I have the floor poured or should I have the floor poured first and set the post on top of the floor. Then build brackets and bolt them to the floor. Thinking I might use treated 6x6 posts but I planned to use steel I beams when I first started putting this together. Wood is easier to get my hands on and to figure the load rating so I’ve changed my mind on that. What’s your thoughts. 

Pour a footing 24x24x16 or so, below your floor in the approximate are of where you would want the pole, then put the pole on the floor.   If you’re not going real heavy up top.... I’d just set it on the floor.  I easier to  pour the  floor, easier to frame your scaffold late. (But I’m not a builder)