Tourist areas and what to see in the good old US of A.....

I don't remember a vacation thread, so I'll start one. We were planning on going to Alaska for 3 weeks or so this summer, but now am not sure. Canada won't let me in (I can understand not letting me in, but you could at least let the wife in.) So that means I have to fly. OK, but Alaska says I have to test negative within 72 hours of getting on the plane. Then I have to be tested as soon as I get off the plane. One place I called said that after I test getting off the plane I have to stay in a hotel room until the test comes back.  Sooooooo, am thinking just staying here in the lower 48. 

My question to is to VTfireman , IHfan, and all you New England folks. Tell me all I should know. The wife has always wanted to see the fall colors, and I have always wanted to to see the Virginia, W. Virginia area. I figured maybe a 3 week road trip.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Also am considering the UP of Michigan. 

And anyone else, please feel free to give me your best places to visit in your area.

We had discussed Africa, but that would be harder than anything and I'm not sure if travel is even allowed, so that will have to be left for another year.

Thanks in advance,

gene

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Enjoy the black hills of South Dakota. Their Governor is a big fan of freedom!!

You are very welcome in South Dakota. The amount of tourists in the "Hills" has been spectacular. Tourism is way up as people just want to get back to normal. Make the tour of the Badla

We went to Traverse City in Michigan  a few years back. Historic mental health facility remodeled into office/store space in part and a tour of the rest.    Miles of paved bike/walking trails. Yo

Posted Images

14 hours ago, dads706 said:

I don't remember a vacation thread, so I'll start one. We were planning on going to Alaska for 3 weeks or so this summer, but now am not sure. Canada won't let me in (I can understand not letting me in, but you could at least let the wife in.) So that means I have to fly. OK, but Alaska says I have to test negative within 72 hours of getting on the plane. Then I have to be tested as soon as I get off the plane. One place I called said that after I test getting off the plane I have to stay in a hotel room until the test comes back.  Sooooooo, am thinking just staying here in the lower 48. 

My question to is to VTfireman , IHfan, and all you New England folks. Tell me all I should know. The wife has always wanted to see the fall colors, and I have always wanted to to see the Virginia, W. Virginia area. I figured maybe a 3 week road trip.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Also am considering the UP of Michigan. 

And anyone else, please feel free to give me your best places to visit in your area.

We had discussed Africa, but that would be harder than anything and I'm not sure if travel is even allowed, so that will have to be left for another year.

Thanks in advance,

gene

IF things are opening back up, come to Vt! 
A lot of history was made here if you’re interested in that. The Shelburne museum is a must. There’s the Underground Railroad museum ( about freeing the slaves, and not subways) 
If you’re coming over drive along the northern border of NY and visit Heart Island- that’s a must stop place!

The thousand islands is a great place for stopping. Singer mansion, heart island and other houses. If you interested in museums, then blue mountain lake museum is a nice one on Adirondack history. Saratoga battle field is right near me and then afterwards I can take you on a tour of a couple dairies worth seeing in this area. I always liked the cog railroad going up mount Washington. When you get into Maine there is a lot of harbors that are quaint and of course LLBean. Around Boston there is a lot of revolutionary war things to see. The northeast is full of history. Get one of those travel books from the library of the northeast and plan away!

• Like 2
On 2/26/2021 at 6:41 AM, brewcrew said:

You are very welcome in South Dakota.

The amount of tourists in the "Hills" has been spectacular.

Tourism is way up as people just want to get back to normal.

Make the tour of the Badlands too after stopping at Wall Drug.

Then move to the Rockies.

One of the most beautiful sites I ever seen was on the Beartooth Highway south of Red Lodge, Montana to Cody, WY.

We went in September, after the tourist summer rush, and had a great time.

We then looped down to Salt Lake City for a bit of Genealogy work.

We had the opportunity to listen to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and orchestra practice.

WOW. That was amazing.

We then stopped and had the opportunity to see the Union Pacific X4014 steam engine under pressure and heading out of the barn.

Before we left on the trip in 2019, the wife said, "Let's do it next year?".

I said, "What if there is no next year?"

She agreed and off we went.

There is so much to see in the United States.

My next stop is the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, etc..

• Like 4

Fall colors are probably better in NYS than in NH or VT. ;)  Lots of cool stuff to see and do in that area of the US.  For me here are a couple of highlights, Battleship Cove in Fall River Mass, Salem and Plymouth are also pretty cool stops in Mass.  In Maine any where on the coast is great, this is especially true if you like fresh lobster.  Also Owl Head Transportation Auction in the Fall is pretty neat to check out.  New Hampshire, Mount Washington, that whole area is very scenic.  Lots of hiking and that sort of thing to do.  NYS has great stops already detailed also, the baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown.  Niagara Falls is a great spot to stop for a day, got to do the maid of the mist if you go there.  A lot of it depends on what you are interested in.  New York City and Boston both have a lot of great things to see and do but are mostly closed now. I am skipping lots of places and things to see and do.  3 weeks would be very easy to consume.  What is open is more of an issue.

Northern Maine  is nice in sept. early oct. Our trees in peak color then, all potato farms and big woods logging Frenchville has a nice little Farmall Museum

Lots of nice lakes  also Loreing air force base witch is closed but you can drive around on the air field It was the  one of the largest B-52 bases when it was active. Then there is the coast and mount Katadin  and fresh sea food 

If you come up to Maine we have a gest camp on the farm that can sleep 8 and you are welcome to use it

Alaska has really eased up.  As of today 

642041D9-F20D-491D-BE88-B44F11C3CD10.thumb.png.46cb6e36bb71bfad682f8a2155ad0a48.png

nothing special is “required”.  We will see what spring brings, 

• Like 1

We went to Traverse City in Michigan  a few years back. Historic mental health facility remodeled into office/store space in part and a tour of the rest.

Miles of paved bike/walking trails. You can rent bikes. Spend the xtra for the cushy seats. We didn't and wished we had later! ? 

Also did a day trip to a formerly inhabited island, now a park of some kind. 

We rented a house for the week next to a stream that folks kayaked on. We were not that brave. Im the only one of the family that can kinda swim. 

20170617_191733.jpg

20170617_191723.jpg

20170619_133036.jpg

20170621_104956.jpg

20170621_112846.jpg

20170621_135832.jpg

20170621_135917.jpg

20170621_151038.jpg

• Like 3

The up is nice, especially the Keweenaw peninsula and the Mackinac area. If your up that way the road up lake superior from Duluth mn is nice.

The Ozark mountains of Arkansas and Missouri as well as the Ouachita mountains of Arkansas are nice (my area).

The swamp/Cajun country in far south Louisiana is interesting and the food is amazing.

The Florida keys are amazing but go in the winter! 80F in January.

New Mexico has some beautiful mountains and great food.

The mountains in Colorado are nice.

The Intermountain west has some beautiful scenery, especially Eastern Utah.

Lots of stuff to do in Texas but the terrain is mostly flat or rolling.

Music and mountains in Tennessee. Plus the land between the lakes.

It's nice to drive through the delta, from the Missouri bootheel through Louisiana, during summer with all the crops. You don't see much Cotton and rice in Iowa.

I even like driving across the vast plains. It's pretty in its own way. You could even go tornado watching!

I've been to New England and it's nice but you have to drive through so much population to get there! I avoid cities on my trips!

Thx-Ace 

• Like 1

As a Yooper you will enjoy the UP of Michigan. Some of my favorite places from living here to look up:

Fort Wilkins State Park

Tahquamenon Falls

Mackinac Island

Fort Michilimackinac

Fayette State Park

Kitch-iti-Kipi

Soo Locks

Grand Marais

Pictured Rocks (boat tours offered)

If you like the industrial history we have a huge mining industry up here; especially in the Keweenaw Peninsula (where Fort Wilkins is) and there are mines you can still go down in the shafts and do tours and lots of old ghost towns, museums, and some abandoned sites you can explore.

Quincy Mine

Delaware Mine

Quincy smelter

Calumet Theater

Brockway Mountain Drive (and lookout)

are some to search.

Lots of great little places and nice parks and historic landmarks if that is your sort of thing. I always enjoy it. Also lots of trails and places to rent UTV's in summer.

I live in the central UP and we have the Cliffs Shaft Mine Museum where you can tour the museum, miner tunnels and buildings and they have the Allis-Chalmers rock crushers they used.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Every area of the U.S. has something neat to see or do if you look it seems to me.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

Every area of the U.S. has something neat to see or do if you look it seems to me.

Yep, for  history I like Boston MA and Charleston SC.  For different  there is Salt Lake City.  Any part of California from Mexico to Oregon.

Pick a date, pick a budget and then pick a state, you will never go wrong in the USA. Stay away from St Louis MO and places like that period!

I have spent weeks in Hawaii over the years,  room and board was provided by the USN, would be a great place if budget is available.

Texas also has a massive area for doing about anything.  Pick your season, pick your place.

If you can get up there. St Johns Newfound, Canada. In the late spring through the summer is nice.  Victoria Island, British Columbia, Canada is normally always nice!

Oh, I have also spent time in NY NY and surrounding area, STAY AWAY!

Have spent a tiny bit of time in the U.P., would definitely go back. Two places we went to that I would go back to;

Porcupine mountains and Bond Falls. If in the fall I would take my mushroom book and something to put the shrooms in!

• Like 1

......the state of Montana  in the west.......the state of Tennesse in the South.....spent  a lot of time in both States....huge contrast.....but there  are almost ''lifetimes''   of wonderful  places to visit in the US.....

WARNING.....never ,ever contemplate staying at Mrs Patel's  motel in Livingstone  Mt.....You pay the money.....you find the unit #......you open the unit door and stand...briefly.... in stunned disbelief......you go to see the well fed Mrs Patel, but the office is locked.....she has gone.....with you precious  US dollars....

You leave at first light , and on a regular opposing traffic highway, you find the inevitable 'diner'.....Upon entering , you relax, knowing that you are back in America...and the trauma of Mrs bloody Patel's filthy , smoke ridden, non shower working, apology for accommodation ,diminishes......but not forgotten.....

Mike

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, brewcrew said:

I should disagree. We go out there a couple times a year and noticed it gets busier out there every year. I think last summer it must have set a record. I took notice of more California license plates for example than I ever seen before. We always have breakfast in Custer. One morning an SUV pulls up to the cafe with CA plates. They were the only ones in the cafe wearing masks. Not knocking it. Just thought it was interesting.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, acem said:

I've been to New England and it's nice but you have to drive through so much population to get there! I avoid cities on my trips!

The only time I went to New England was back in the mid-90's, when I flew into Boston and rented a car, and that was the only heavily populated center that I went through, and the only 'historical site' I saw in Boston was "The Green Monster" at Fenway Park on the way out of town.

The drive up along the Maine coast is very scenic, I wish I had taken the boat to the Bay of Fundy to see the tide, and I wish I had went up north along the eastern Maine/New Brunswick border, and seen Loring AFB and the potato country.  (Was a PIA getting into Canada, even at that time, as I seemed to be profiled as a major importer of cigarettes into the country, as Canadian customs looked thru the car)

I also should have went and rode the Mt. Washington Cog Railway, but I did ride the ferry at Burlington across Lake Champlain, and on down to Lake Placid, on over to Cooperstown and Oneata, NY, and back east thru Hartford, CT, on over to Mystic Seaport, New London (the submarine base and the Nautilus), Falls River and New Bedford, Massachusetts (the Whaling Museum) before coming back home.

The locals must keep the location of the village gas station a secret, because they were hard to find in some places, and motels were very expensive, since I was told that the tourist season is only four or five months long.

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, Doug in NY said:

Fall colors are probably better in NYS than in NH or VT. ;)  Lots of cool stuff to see and do in that area of the US.  For me here are a couple of highlights, Battleship Cove in Fall River Mass, Salem and Plymouth are also pretty cool stops in Mass.  In Maine any where on the coast is great, this is especially true if you like fresh lobster.  Also Owl Head Transportation Auction in the Fall is pretty neat to check out.  New Hampshire, Mount Washington, that whole area is very scenic.  Lots of hiking and that sort of thing to do.  NYS has great stops already detailed also, the baseball hall of fame in Cooperstown.  Niagara Falls is a great spot to stop for a day, got to do the maid of the mist if you go there.  A lot of it depends on what you are interested in.  New York City and Boston both have a lot of great things to see and do but are mostly closed now. I am skipping lots of places and things to see and do.  3 weeks would be very easy to consume.  What is open is more of an issue.

Every time I go through Falls River, everything is closed?

It probably doesn’t help I’m through there around midnight ?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, oleman said:

Yep, for  history I like Boston MA and Charleston SC.  For different  there is Salt Lake City.  Any part of California from Mexico to Oregon.

Pick a date, pick a budget and then pick a state, you will never go wrong in the USA. Stay away from St Louis MO and places like that period!

I have spent weeks in Hawaii over the years,  room and board was provided by the USN, would be a great place if budget is available.

Texas also has a massive area for doing about anything.  Pick your season, pick your place.

If you can get up there. St Johns Newfound, Canada. In the late spring through the summer is nice.  Victoria Island, British Columbia, Canada is normally always nice!

Oh, I have also spent time in NY NY and surrounding area, STAY AWAY!

I went to NYC with a coworker with a load of lumber. Bronx area. I remember asking him if it always smelled like a sewer?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

I should disagree. We go out there a couple times a year and noticed it gets busier out there every year. I think last summer it must have set a record. I took notice of more California license plates for example than I ever seen before. We always have breakfast in Custer. One morning an SUV pulls up to the cafe with CA plates. They were the only ones in the cafe wearing masks. Not knocking it. Just thought it was interesting.

I would second visiting the Hills. The wife and I used to go out there the first or second week of May to ride motorcycle. This was before we had kids that needed to be in school, but that was why we chose that time of the year. We got out there before all the summer vacations started. It's a great place to see especially when it's not crowded. I can't imagine trying to go through the Needles during tourist season.

Last year was extremely busy because there was nothing else to do because almost every other state decided to kill their economy and shut down businesses so everyone went to SD.

Oh boy lets see, black hills, Custer's battlefield, yellow stone park, bear tooth highway north of yellow stone, glacier national park ( I highly recommend }, Fort Robinson in western Nebraska, Duluth Minnesota is awesome to watch the big ships, Mackinaw bridge, and Mackinac Island Michigan just to name a few.

The continental divide country of the northern rockies. Stay off the interstate. Lots to see.

• Like 1

I'm a NY lifer except for brief stints in Germany and Connecticut. If you come to this part of the country, come in the fall! I feel the Thousand Islands are the best somewhat hidden gem of NY. Find a rental cottage on an island and take the longest boat tour there is. Clayton is classy and better in my opinion to visit, than Alexandria Bay. I think you need to go to ABay though to pick up the boat tours.

If you come in winter (in a normal year), or possibly even fall, hit up Lake Placid. They hosted the 1932 and 1980 winter olympics, and with all the infrastructure, still host all kinds of international competitions in sports we don't see often, like bobsled, figure skating, aerial skiing, etc. Not super bowl sized crowds and pretty cool to watch.

The pageant of steam is a cool tractor show with a lot of steam tractors, in addition to tons of newer gas and diesels, in Canandaigua in summer.

The woodsman field days in Boonville are supposed to be a lot of fun too. Always wanted to go, but never have.

If you are in New England in winter, and like sports, I personally recommend taking in a prep school basketball or hockey game. Some of the best school aged talent in the country.

23 hours ago, cgage said:

As a Yooper you will enjoy the UP of Michigan. Some of my favorite places from living here to look up:

Fort Wilkins State Park

Tahquamenon Falls

Mackinac Island

Fort Michilimackinac

Fayette State Park

Kitch-iti-Kipi

Soo Locks

Grand Marais

Pictured Rocks (boat tours offered)

If you like the industrial history we have a huge mining industry up here; especially in the Keweenaw Peninsula (where Fort Wilkins is) and there are mines you can still go down in the shafts and do tours and lots of old ghost towns, museums, and some abandoned sites you can explore.

Quincy Mine

Delaware Mine

Quincy smelter

Calumet Theater

Brockway Mountain Drive (and lookout)

are some to search.

Lots of great little places and nice parks and historic landmarks if that is your sort of thing. I always enjoy it. Also lots of trails and places to rent UTV's in summer.

I live in the central UP and we have the Cliffs Shaft Mine Museum where you can tour the museum, miner tunnels and buildings and they have the Allis-Chalmers rock crushers they used.

just to add to the list;

Isle royal national park

Keweenaw national park

Quincy Mine No. 2 Shaft Hoist House - Wikipedia

Home | Quincy Mine

Member Detail | Keweenaw Convention & Visitor’s Bureau

96-quincy-mining-company-no2-mine-hoist.pdf (asme.org)

Mike