1066 frame rail

DirtBoyz07

One of my IH friends sent me this tonight , it’s the factory frame rail on his original 1066 . I have been doing this stuff for most of my life and I have never seen a frame rail like this before ?

Danny 

13A9AAC9-72B2-4BDD-87DE-BF1990BDEE81.jpeg

2 hole, my 1066 is just like that         I am wrong, my 10 does have 2 holes, not 4 in frame. But i see that is not what you were referring to, mine is normal on the back holes.

20 minutes ago, Long Farms said:

Local 1066 to me. Factory 2 post ROPS, 34" wedgelocks, 10.00-16s, ta delete. 

20200625_135447.jpg

20200625_135442.jpg

20200625_135436.jpg

Bolt looks loose.....

I've seen them before as well, just never really gave much thought to it I guess.  Just noticed it, then kinda went on.  Funny the little things that changed here and there on equipment.

Had no idea they did these , like I said I have never seen it before . They must of done them around the 15,000 sn because both tractors are in that range ,15,610 and 15,997.

Danny 

I'll have to look in the parts book if it showed a serial break. 

But from what I've noticed, the first tractors had all 4 frame rail bolts. Then they went to 3 with the chopped top. Then back to 4. So it was just an early thing. 

Maybe IH engineer had to split one with the large fuel filter and couldn't get the bolt out, he said forget the top bolt don't need that anyway. Then someone else said it has always been there and they went back to what they were. Who knows, but most are on '72 models, not really early '71's.

18 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

I'll have to look in the parts book if it showed a serial break. 

But from what I've noticed, the first tractors had all 4 frame rail bolts. Then they went to 3 with the chopped top. Then back to 4. So it was just an early thing. 

I looked in parts book. It doesn’t show a difference in serial numbers. 766 had different frame rails for gas WF than gas NF.  766 diesel is listed as the same through the 1466.  The NF tractors had different part numbers for the frame rails but nothing is mentioned about mounting holes. The picture shows two upper holes.

This revision is in a CaseIH  jacket and is listed as “issued 3’ 79”

EB16C8D5-DAD8-4701-81D4-6D59D238B493.jpeg

I can just about guess what happened here.   They designed the tractor to "spec".....then at some point either a big wheel bean counter or a mid level engineer was looking over the tractor and saw the tab sticking up there and said "that really isn't doing much. we could save xyz by eliminating that, make the change."   So some young flunky draftman made the new drawing and the change order and everything was fine until the big boss engineer saw it.    "What the....WHO changed this, that was there for a reason, its required  for adequate strength on (fill in blank here).  Do they think we don't know our business???"   IMMEDIATE change order to roll back to the original design--- Big meeting, bean counter "doesn't remember anything", mid level engineer  "just made a suggestion", flunky got fired.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2