Case IH 900 12 Row Semi Mount Planter Tractor Requirements?

Looking at possibly buying a 12 row semi mount 900 planter with lift assist wheels. I don`t think there`s a very easy way to haul them and the owner would have no way to load it. I was just thinking of hauling a tractor and hooking it up and head for home. My question is how heavy of a tractor do I have to have on the front for getting it home. I was thinking of using a John Deere 4630 that I can put a set of weights on the front. Would this be enough tractor? I`ve heard they are pretty heavy. We have bigger tractors but would rather use the old 46. Also would a 1466 with a full set of weights be heavy enough? If i would buy it I`d kinda like to use it on the 14. Don`t want to bring it home with the 14 though its open station ?

An 856 with rack of weights AND lift assist will haul that planter. 1466 and 4630 will have no issue since it has lift assist. Without lift assist, none of the above. If that 4630 will crank id take it for the cab. Uncle ran 8rw Case IH 900s and JD 4450s and 4455s picked them up. Went to 12rn Case IH 900s with list assist and a 4020 would would lift and pull it. They were plate type, press wheel drive and insecticide boxes w/row markers. 

Ran one of those things on a 1466. It worked ok.  Eventually on a 7120.  The 7120 handled it with ease.  The more front weights the merrier!  Planter was quick to transport and handy to get around with but I never did like it in the field.

Thanks for the replies guys. I had a buddy that had one many years ago and they had it on a 4430 and he said they had front weights and extra front fuel tank. He said they would have to fill the extra tank and close the valve to keep the front end down. 

3 hours ago, jass1660 said:

I’d take the 14 much faster than the 46 down the road. Only issue is planter is 18’ wide in transport. 

Ours was 20' 6" transport width. 

Guy who had the one we had planted with a 1086. If the 4630 has a quick hitch check with the width of the tool bar pipe width and quick hitch width 

I ramped my 5300 on and off the trailer.  The 3pt could lift the tongue high enough to use the Jack on the deck. It is a different setup, just a thought. I did this in May of last year from Saginaw, Michigan to Sacramento. 

9206BD03-E937-4F7F-BD54-0D9ED96CB895.jpeg

Drove my 1066 30+miles one way to bring home a 12 row 800. Had to have the sheriff shut down traffic on highway 14 so I could cross the 'mile long bridge' over Lake Red Rock. full rack of 100 pounders on the front a good idea. The speed of the 14 is good on the way there, I can't go over about 17 with the planter on the tractor. Anyone familiar with Ia. 14 in these parts knows how smooth it is, worst part is right by our local Key Coop. All in all it wasn't a bad trip. Did it on a work day and had no trouble making it to work on time.

One thing, don't go down the road with the tanks loaded, gravel at least. Did that once, about half full, lucky I kept it between the ditches!

12 minutes ago, DT Fan said:

Drove my 1066 30+miles one way to bring home a 12 row 800. Had to have the sheriff shut down traffic on highway 14 so I could cross the 'mile long bridge' over Lake Red Rock. full rack of 100 pounders on the front a good idea. The speed of the 14 is good on the way there, I can't go over about 17 with the planter on the tractor. Anyone familiar with Ia. 14 in these parts knows how smooth it is, worst part is right by our local Key Coop. All in all it wasn't a bad trip. Did it on a work day and had no trouble making it to work on time.

One thing, don't go down the road with the tanks loaded, gravel at least. Did that once, about half full, lucky I kept it between the ditches!

I would have enjoyed watching you cross the mile long bridge.  That would have been cool!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

I would have enjoyed watching you cross the mile long bridge.  That would have been cool!

It was an interesting experience! Saw an old co-worker of mine waiting on the North side, he looked like he was enjoying the delay, ha-ha!

• Haha 1

I had an 800 12 row semi mount on a 3688 for a while. 12 front weights and duals and still scary to drive on the road. I put a Campbell pull type hitch on it later and liked it much better. Still couldn't go full throttle down the road though. Would start swinging back and forth. 

6 hours ago, lightninboy said:

12 row semi mount 900 planter with lift assist wheels weighs nothing compared to 5400 drill on the 3-point.

20ft full,much better after the first pass.

Yes they do. I seem to remember in the manual they said the wing could go down 15 degrees from level. Really no limit up. 

This an interesting topic to me. Maybe I'm a worry wort, who knows. My thinking is, if sometime the 10 would go down, I don't have another tractor big enough to mount the cyclo on currently. If that were to come to pass, the 756 is the next best option right now. Providing it gets up and going this spring! It does have 38" rubber and the duals and weights from the ten will fit. It might work in a real pinch but think that would be a big load for a 756 gas. Hope I never find out. Always on the hunt for another horse that could help out in that event.

I still have my 800 6 row that can be used if something happens to the 5288 on the 12 row. One year before I had a 12 row I planted over 900 acres with the 6 row on my 3688. I was getting tired of i before I got done. 

On 2/27/2021 at 10:26 AM, DT Fan said:

This an interesting topic to me. Maybe I'm a worry wort, who knows. My thinking is, if sometime the 10 would go down, I don't have another tractor big enough to mount the cyclo on currently. If that were to come to pass, the 756 is the next best option right now. Providing it gets up and going this spring! It does have 38" rubber and the duals and weights from the ten will fit. It might work in a real pinch but think that would be a big load for a 756 gas. Hope I never find out. Always on the hunt for another horse that could help out in that event.

Our JD 7000 6 row became too much for our 706 gas when we added row cleaners, no till coulters, fertilizer coulters and fertilizer tanks.  Pull it with the 1206 now.

One thing I might add for the OP. To fold these things up for transport takes higher hydraulic pressure than the 1700ish that my 10 had in it. New relief valve solved that but wasn't cheap. Think it is 2400ish. I believe the operators manual gives the pressure requirements.

24 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

Our JD 7000 6 row became too much for our 706 gas when we added row cleaners, no till coulters, fertilizer coulters and fertilizer tanks.  Pull it with the 1206 now.

I'm sure I could still get my beans planted if the ten went down, might have to borrow/rent a tractor. Would much rather have another big horse around just in case.

1 minute ago, DT Fan said:

I'm sure I could still get my beans planted if the ten went down, might have to borrow/rent a tractor. Would much rather have another big horse around just in case.

If you ever get in a pinch, you could use my 1486.  It does not see enough work anymore!

• Thanks 1