Wife found a box of these in the church basement after a Legion Aux mtg. 

Anyone collect them? 

PM me I'll send ya a couple. 

1614707622_ihcmatchbooks.thumb.jpg.2d97970833e4fdbbd366d14b4d48c03f.jpg

• Like 9

Thats funny, I used to collect those ( 50 years ago) mostly bars with girls on them, you don't even see them anymore, maybe they are worth a lot and your a millionaire?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've seen people pay good money for those on ebay. I've sort of randomly collected them for nearly 50 years. More of an accumulator than a collector. 

Cupar matchbook.jpg

42 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

I've seen people pay good money for those on ebay. I've sort of randomly collected them for nearly 50 years. More of an accumulator than a collector. 

Cupar matchbook.jpg

That's the style, remembering that goes with the old gas station flirty girl calenders.

I collected them (not the flirty ones) when I was a kid, but don't even remember when I lost interest.

I do remember reading back in the day that "close cover before striking" was the most-read phrase in the world.

3 minutes ago, Steve C. said:

I collected them (not the flirty ones) when I was a kid, but don't even remember when I lost interest.

I do remember reading back in the day that "close cover before striking" was the most-read phrase in the world.

Another thing I remember collecting was gas company road maps, I had dozens of them from all different stations and companies, you ever try to find a company map in the last 20 years, and with the advent of GPS  the maps are 10 bucks to buy, I gotta say one thing I bought an HD anniversary map book in ‘03 and it never lets me go over the bridge/tunnel from Jersey city to New York City 4 DUCKING TIMES so there is good things to say about hard cover.

I have a matchbook from the Corn Palace in Mitchell,SD from the late 70s. It is dang near a foot long. Seen ine on Ebay for $10. Guess i better hold mine longer so prices can mature some more??

Neat! I carry a matchbook in my pocket all the time. I don’t smoke but it gets used a lot, 1.50 for 100 packs I probably toss more battered packs in the stove than I actually go through. Those used to be like bread ties, everyone had a kitchen drawer full somewhere. Now that seems to be old charger cords, times they are a changing. 

Vintage road maps are a necessity when you drive a fifties car like mine. I've accumulated a few of the free road maps too. 

Merc BA map.JPG

• Like 1

This thread reminded that my sister collected matchbooks so l called her and asked her about them. She has them in some boxes but hasn't looked at them in years. A majority of them are cotton related, such as from cotton gins and compresses. She said she has a few from some tractor dealers but she don't remember which ones except a couple from a Ford Tractor dealer that was in Lubbock, Texas.

I told Sandhiller i would show him what I had, but I thought why not post them here for all you to see. 

My grandpa collected them as a kid ( which I didn’t even know until a month ago) So this is what I took from what he had.

F2E5D39E-C2A6-4EE3-BD73-CCD919CDCDDA.thumb.jpeg.af21d5e7a70891e32e87723103435166.jpeg

These three didn’t have matches in them so I put them between two pieces of plexiglass and screwed it to the back of this piece of wood that I got a few years ago to display salvaged pieces of an IH chest freezer The two outside matchbooks both have IH trucks on them. 

147D8CB9-EF3B-46AD-9750-9A87FD332905.thumb.jpeg.f65b688d8a16b908df4768dd268259f2.jpeg

• Like 4

I don't know if there are any match books hid here anymore, us to have a bunch. Not a collection but used burn thrash ( Oh for the good old days) brush pile and thistle patches. 

Last thistles I burned cost the landlord $1000 bucks. He had some small brush piles burning, so I asked  if he cared if I lit 15 acres I was discing. He said go for it. Well he had not checked if it was a California Air Resources Control Board approved burn day, and it was not. And he did not have a permit. And it just happened even though it was safe to burn there was a convict hand crew out at the seasonal fire house cleaning weeds and such, saw the smoke and came running. So I have not lit a field in 15 years or better.

But back to matches, my wife always wanted them stored in a glass jar. She read mice and staticky electricity had been known to set matches off. I don't know if that true, but better safe than sorry. But also with humidity and time most old matches are real hard if not impossible to get lit anymore.