henry rifles

littlered166

Whenever our tractor club does a tracor raffle we offer a golden boy as a second prize. We sell as many tickets for the gun as the tractor.

I have a Frontier model .22 with the octagonal barrel.  It shoots nice tight patterns and I really love the smooth action it has.

I have a Winchester 9422 I got when I was 12. Smooth as silk action. Deadly accurate. When My oldest daughter turned 12 ten years ago I bought her a hex barrel Henry .22. If I didn't have my 9422 I wouldn't have known the difference. The Henry is accurate, just not nearly as smooth as the Winchester. But that's why used 9422's bring big money.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

I have a Winchester 9422 I got when I was 12. Smooth as silk action. Deadly accurate. When My oldest daughter turned 12 ten years ago I bought her a hex barrel Henry .22. If I didn't have my 9422 I wouldn't have known the difference. The Henry is accurate, just not nearly as smooth as the Winchester. But that's why used 9422's bring big money.

Agree and would add the Marlin 39A/M/T in .22 caliber.  Nothing wrong with a Henry at that price point but I would put a Marlin or Winchester against it any day given a like caliber comparison. 

• Thanks 1

They are a very nice gun, as nice as you are going to find. Most dont have just one, they have several. I have only heard one complaint ever and ehen I asked for more information he wouldn’t explain.. 

I'm gonna get crap for this but imo they are crap.  You can have them.  I will never own one. I've known a good number of people that own them and they jam and are not accurate at all.  One friend of mine has a 22 with a octagon barrel. Looks really nice but unless you jam the lever back and forth it jams the gun with any ammo.  

It makes me sad because they are at a nice price point and look good.  

I want to love them but I just can't. 

Chris. 

I have sold from .22LR to .45-70 including the .410 bore.

Shot most of them. 

Quality and accuracy. 

No complaints from any of my customers on any of 'em. 

• Like 1

Henry is one of the few mfg.s left that are made in the US, there are others but they cater to the AR (armalite rifle) style crowd. Henry I believe is the only one left of the Traditional style lever gun makers left In the US.

I can't remember off hand the years, but Winchester (around the mid 30's) sold their line to outside sources (from bankruptcy), are now made by Miroku in Japan under the Winchester name. Marlin may still make theirs themselves, other than that Henry is the only US maker of lever action, If I remember right. 

None are the Winchester or sometime preferred Marlin with the side eject, but you gotta give em credit for effort. If I was to get another one it might be the Henry, simply due to the made in America effort. 

I would like a henry in .357 so i can get a smith and wesson 686 in the same caliber. Both can shoot .38 special as well so the wife might even enjoy shooting them. Dad has a .22 magnum and a collector. The magnum shoots nice but he dont wanna shoot the collector.

2 hours ago, farmallman77 said:

I'm gonna get crap for this but imo they are crap.  You can have them.  I will never own one. I've known a good number of people that own them and they jam and are not accurate at all.  One friend of mine has a 22 with a octagon barrel. Looks really nice but unless you jam the lever back and forth it jams the gun with any ammo.  

I am curious what customer service (866-200-2354) had to say to all these people?

As a seller of firearms, I like to know peoples' experiences with firearms as well as customer service of manufacturers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N S said:

Henry is one of the few mfg.s left that are made in the US, there are others but they cater to the AR (armalite rifle) style crowd. Henry I believe is the only one left of the Traditional style lever gun makers left In the US.

I can't remember off hand the years, but Winchester (around the mid 30's) sold their line to outside sources (from bankruptcy), are now made by Miroku in Japan under the Winchester name. Marlin may still make theirs themselves, other than that Henry is the only US maker of lever action, If I remember right. 

None are the Winchester or sometime preferred Marlin with the side eject, but you gotta give em credit for effort. If I was to get another one it might be the Henry, simply due to the made in America effort. 

Ruger picked up Marlin from the Remington bankruptcy. Will be American made, with respect to the brand. Have a friend with Rossi levers, and Henry's. He says the Rossi seems smoother. From what I understand, Rossi got a lot of the Colt tooling. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Mine is the 44mag it is just a little stiff but probably less than 150 rounds through it. If it wasn't a thousand dollars I would be willing to get a 44mag mares leg to go with it. Nice gun overall I added a skinner peep to mine after season my eyes aren't what they used to be. 

• Like 2

Have the Big Boy in 44mag and a 22 both are accurate and have not had any problems.  Brother has 45.70, nephew has 6 of the in various calibers,no problems with any of them. All have had lots of rounds thru them.

• Like 2

I had a Rossi lever at one time (made in Brazil). Same gun sold under the Puma name I believe. It ran nice and smooth.  Not as smooth as a Marlin but it functioned very well.

Part of it is just what you get used to. If you had a gun with no scope and had never looked through a scope before in your life but someone gave you a brand new $40 scope for that gun, it would be the best scope you had ever seen. Now, if someone gave you a $1000 scope for that gun, it would also be the best scope you had ever seen. If someone gave you the $1000 scope and the $40 scope and you looked through them both, which one would most people use?  It’s the same way many times with guns. You will get what you pay for in quality most of the time. A $300 gun should be outperformed by a $600 gun. The $600 gun should be smoother with a better fit and finish. Nothing wrong with a Chevrolet but a Cadillac will have more shine 

• Like 3

Got a .22 with a 22 magnum scope, great shooter and phun phun phun, even when my daddy takes my t-bird away, I don't know if 77 has a total hate with them but they need cleanup every so often, mine will jam and so a little cleaning and back to noo, give it a few 15 rd tube mags and a little clean again, my saw 22 jams up after a box or two also, 22 shells are notoriously durty.

• Like 1

I would not buy one...............because my three, now  "illegal '  Marlin 39's will never get worn out...!!

....but...  if I did need another lever 22....I would by a Henry...

..Why ?? because its country of origin..

.Think lever rifles.....Think AMERICA

Thankyou....I feel ok now

Mike

• Like 3

@farmallman77 you are the only person I have heard with poor reviews, I would, like @sandhiller said, to know what customer service had to say, I had one come in that had a scuffed stock, in shipping/packing a cardboard tab got folded over and the lock was scuffing the stock. It was mine but customer service was falling all over themselves to make it right, even wanted to pay my transfer fees, of which here were none as the gun was bought from me. Just saying, if you are expecting  competition accuracy from any lever, you are going to be dissatisfied, but all the Henry rifles I have ever seen are plenty more accurate than the men shooting them. As said, 22 is one dirty little round and requires cleaning, also dry firing them leads to jamming. 
To each their own, but they have a whole lot of happy customers. 

• Like 2