480 International disc transporting

japatten

Looking at getting a 480 international disc that is 18ft wide. It is to far to tow it so it would have to be loaded on a trailer to get home.  Can you load these disc side ways on the trailer and take the tongue off?. If so how wide would it still be? Any other ways to make it fit on a trailer?

Thanks

How far is it? I have towed some stuff a long ways. Sometimes much simpler than hauling. Taking the hitch off won't be a walk in the park. You may not quite get down to 8 1/2 feet either. Don't have a 480 to measure. The bolts won't come out easy as they have been rusting for 45 years or so. They can be dismantled far enough just a lot of work and time. Depending on the country you need to travel through and the distance I would check the wheel bearings get a couple spares and let er rip.

• Like 1

I’ve pulled disks a few times and they don’t like to tow very fast. My first experience best i could do was 15-20 mph or it would start whipping and push you all over road was scary. Last time I hung 4 75-100 lb suitcase weighs off the tongue aframe weighting the hitch down and traveled a lot better but still didn’t try anything over 40. 

John

• Like 1

3 hours ago, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

How far is it? I have towed some stuff a long ways. Sometimes much simpler than hauling. Taking the hitch off won't be a walk in the park. You may not quite get down to 8 1/2 feet either. Don't have a 480 to measure. The bolts won't come out easy as they have been rusting for 45 years or so. They can be dismantled far enough just a lot of work and time. Depending on the country you need to travel through and the distance I would check the wheel bearings get a couple spares and let er rip.

I agree. You're going to have to have a way to lift and move all those pieces to fit on a trailer. And sometimes lifting some of those items can get a little sketchy depending on circumstances. Fight to loosen all these items up and you have your work cut out for you.

We pulled a 26 ft behind a pickup truck 47 miles to get it home. Definitely larger than a 18 ft and we pulled the 16 ft we traded on it down behind the pickup too.

55 minutes ago, Weapon said:

I’ve pulled disks a few times and they don’t like to tow very fast. My first experience best i could do was 15-20 mph or it would start whipping and push you all over road was scary. Last time I hung 4 75-100 lb suitcase weighs off the tongue aframe weighting the hitch down and traveled a lot better but still didn’t try anything over 40. 

John

The trick to pulling a disk is to run a chain from near the tow pin to the corner of the frame and bind it tight.   Takes the whip right out of them

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Weapon said:

John

Take a chain or ratchet strap and go from tongue over to gang on one side and tighten it up. Takes all the play out of the hitch won’t whip then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nate said:

The trick to pulling a disk is to run a chain from near the tow pin to the corner of the frame and bind it tight.   Takes the whip right out of them

Didn’t see your post. Great minds think a like

Towed this 500 home with bound tight chain from front corner to hitch with ZERO whip. I wouldn't be affraid to go farther and faster next time with since i rebuilt all the wheel hubs when i got it home. Sometimes towing them home @ 35mph is faster and easier than, getting trailer hooked and ready, tear down disk, load, chain drive, unload, put trailer away, and put imp back together. Just study the time for each way vs risk and reward.  Is the 480 a non fold 18'? I see alot being towed with gangs detached and loaded on top of disk. Alot of big offsets towed that way.  

20210130_172049.jpg

• Thanks 1

Pulled my 475 over 200 miles, hook up and go. I went Atleast 40 with the thing but I was using a crew cab diesel. Stopped and checked hubs every so often  

As for loading on a trailer, my 475 hitch is only 4 or 5 feet long. 2 pins and unthread hitch pressure spring and its off.

6 hours ago, nate said:

Dam guys I can see that working. Where were you guys 25 years ago when it took me all day to pull one home. 

Thx John 

• Haha 1

Have moved my 24 ft disks several times by just hitching them to a small tractor, 4020, and driving on gooseneck. Lower disk, chain it down, and hit the road. Get where i'm going, unchain, and back it off. Can't remember if both duals ride on deck or just inside.

Pack your wheel bearings, put good tires on it, binder up the tounge and go! I strongly recommend a 3/4 ton or larger tow vehicle.  I hauled an 83ft long grain auger from now Kansas a few months ago. Thx-Ace 

Gotta love a flat fold Kewanee. Hauled this one August 2019 from Miniapolis to Sacramento on Interstate 80. The tunnels were fun because at 11’ wide, needed both lanes. Big rig drivers behind me would pull to the middle of the road to block speeding cars from cutting me off entering the tunnels. 
Then again on a down hill approach to a single lane construction area. Big rig pulled over and blocked traffic for me again. I thought that was so cool. 

3A14C31D-8B27-4473-9CF1-C5D5C59D208B.jpeg

C144A151-8158-40A2-9F20-1D65BE5C971D.jpeg

Used one of those for ~ 40 years now.  Very reliable disk. Only problem we ever had with it was wing bounce, which I solved by reworking the wings for dual wheels.  It required cutting the arm loose from the tube and sliding it over and rewelding it at the right angle....but actually wasn't too bad.   Then put another spindle on the opposite side of the arm, with one size smaller tire on the inside.  Completely eliminated wing bounce.  

Also, if you haven't already done so, replace the two bolts the hitch pivots on.   they wear thru over time, and you do NOT want one side to break, as it bends the hitch on the other side!

like has been said , chain the tongue and check wheal bearings and air pressure and take a couple of spare tires and go,  i towed a international 770 disk about 70 miles with a dodge dually did about 45 mph faster than hauling , took air compressor and jack and a 2 spare tires